Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

another voltage drop question

Options
  • 16-02-2011 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭

Hi
    I need to run an swa to a pump house 55mts from consumer unit buried underground , the submersible pump in well will be 1.5 hp or 1.1kw, now i have checked several online VD calculators and the results show 1.5 cable , this seems a little small , are these online calculators not accurate and is there a basic VD formula to calculate this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭pieface_ie

Yeah, a very quick calculation going by the information you supplied a single phase pump @ powerfactor of 1 (as not specified)

1.5 mm = 7.3 v drop over 55 meters

2.5 mm = 4.5 v drop over 55 meters

so a 1.5 mm is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭sparcocars

Hi
    I need to run an swa to a pump house 55mts from consumer unit buried underground , the submersible pump in well will be 1.5 hp or 1.1kw, now i have checked several online VD calculators and the results show 1.5 cable , this seems a little small , are these online calculators not accurate and is there a basic VD formula to calculate this?

By my calculations you would only have a 1.3% volt drop which is 3 volts on that cable if it was a 1.5 square. Well below the 4% regulation. Maybe a 2.5 square cable would be better for the simple reason that the pump might be uprated at a later date and this would accommodate that.

Formula : Resistivity of cable x Length of cable
    CSA of cable

Resistivity of annealed copper : .0172 micro ohms per mm

.0172 x 55
    1.5 = .630 ohms

1100 watts
    230 volts = 4.78 amps

.630 ohm x 4.78 amps = 3 volts

By my calculations you would only have a 1.3% volt drop which is 3 volts on that cable if it was a 1.5 square. Well below the 4% regulation. Maybe a 2.5 square cable would be better for the simple reason that the pump might be uprated at a later date and this would accommodate that.

I think you made a mistake somewhere in your calculation mate, that cant be correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Randyleprechaun

I'd say you should be using 2.5mm2:

You are allowed 2.5% volt drop for 230V which is 5.75V

FOR 1.5mm2 29(VD)X55(mtr)X4.8(A)/1000=7.65V

For 2.5mm2 18(VD)X55(mtr)X4.8(A)/1000=4.75V

Figures are approximate, but even at that, in my opinion it has to be 2.5mm2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

i think your FLA for a 1.5hp is up around 10amps inc. efficiency and power factor

3*4 swa by my reckoning to be safe

that's about 6.6v running and about 30-40 at startup

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭grousedogtom

the overload fitted in a 1.5 hp control box is a 10 amp so probably runs a couple of amps less than this ,I was thinking at least 2.5 myself so i put in 4 sq today to allow for future changes etc , its amazing the difference in replys from 1.5 to 4 sq is the full formula for VD that complex or is there a simplified formula that would give you a good indication?Many thanks

1.5HP at 230v 10amp FLA

according to most charts
    http://www.elec-toolbox.com/usefulinfo/flamtrcharts.htm

55 *12mV*10 is approx 6.6 from memory

being 12mv for 4sq

you have to allow at bit extra with motors for startup

sometimes 125% of FLA is used or you can check terminal voltage for LRA or startup

1.5 and 2.5 are undersized imo

during startup you might be allowing 15% or so

or 85% of nominal voltage

The are numerous factors to be taken into consideration when sizing a cable.

Ambient temperature
    Cable type
    voltdrop per meter of the cable
    No of other circuits run with it
    Installation method
    ...etc

When sizing a cable for a given application there are many different installation scenarios. They all do not fall under the one bracket/calculation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

its amazing the difference in replys from 1.5 to 4 sq is the full formula for VD that complex or is there a simplified formula that would give you a good indication?Many thanks

2.5 would cover it. A 1.1kw resistive load and 1.5 would possibly cover it. But with a motor 4 square will give you better coverage and is better for the starting current, and would likely improve starting performance. A 1.1kw load would take 5 amps for the 1.1kw output, but with a small single phase motor it could be double this current with efficiency and power factor as said. So for the 55 meter run and close to 10 amp current a 4 square cable would be more than enough and probably allow a bigger pump also if ever required.

• Advertisement
Advertisement