Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Facebook are at it again...

• 16-02-2011 11:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭

...being a shower of pricks that is.

I've only just noticed today, that there is now an option to download photos (in hi-res) from Facebook. But here's the thing, you cannot disable this option.

Here's the other thing, apparently it's been there since sometime last year (October I think). Snuck that one in right under my radar :mad:

Are they ****ing serious with this ****???

I like to share my images, at least the ones that I am proud of, with my friends/family, but I don't want anyone downloading my images, even people in my friends list, so they can go away and make a nice print for themselves while I get nothing for it.

Apologies if this has been talked about already, but I searched and couldn't find anything.

Off to delete my photos now...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 nuwaveimages

hi

I use facebook to upload my photos all the time and i can pick which ones I would like High Or Low Res

u can use the default upload size: small 640 (for blogs n web)

check ur setting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I upload with a max size of 300px on the longest side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭Pure Sound

Before you add photos you could crop them so that the high resolution photos are not available for people to download. It is a pain in the ass but unfortunately this is what happens when multi-national corporations gain this amount of power.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 421 ✭✭SetOverSet

This is worrying alright but easily negated if you don't upload hi-res in the first. I limit FB uploads to 800px on the long size myself...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Before you add photos you could crop them so that the high resolution photos are not available for people to download. It is a pain in the ass but unfortunately this is what happens when multi-national corporations gain this amount of power.

Yes ! Damn those multi-national corporations ! Those sweet tantalising indispensable multi-national corporations !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I can't see an issue with it myself. If you choose to upload hi res images to facebook then what do you expect? Flickr lets you download hi res if that's what you choose to put up there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Effects wrote: »
    I can't see an issue with it myself. If you choose to upload hi res images to facebook then what do you expect? Flickr lets you download hi res if that's what you choose to put up there.

Exactly, same as pixie even.

Why do you upload high res pics if you don't want people to see high res pics?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭gloobag

The last couple of images I uploaded, I specifically chose the low res option, yet they are still available for download. Also, I did some testing just now. Uploaded a hi-res pic, but chose the low res option. Said pic still uploaded in hi-res and is now available to download in hi-res. Why give you an option, if it's just going to do what it wants anyways?

Anyways my main gripe isn't with the resolution of the images. It's the fact that there's no option to turn off the download option at all. And that it was very sneakily added as a feature. Yes, you could argue that in the past, someone could always just right click and 'save image as', but actually adding a link to download a file, I feel encourages the act of downloading.

Also, if I was to do some work for a client, i.e. an event or wedding. I could no longer upload the pics from that event for marketing purposes, as now anyone who attended could freely download any image they wanted. Even if they are low res, you know some idiot is just gonna download and print anyways, coz they don't know any better. So now, I'm out of pocket for a print sale, and as well as that there's a bad quality print of my work out in the world, representing my ability as a photographer. Ok, so just don't upload the pics, right? Yeah, I could do that, but what if I had given the actual client some images from the event on a CD, and they decide to upload the pics to Facebook for all to see and download? :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

I see what you're getting at but why would you upload such a high-res file?

720px to 800px are the files I'd upload and I've no problem with people downloading them...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Just use an application to resize all the photos before you upload them. This will prevent someone downloading a high res version and will also mean it'll be quicker to upload the photos. As for the download button itself, they could download it any ways so what difference does it make.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭gloobag

kjt wrote: »
    I see what you're getting at but why would you upload such a high-res file?

720px to 800px are the files I'd upload and I've no problem with people downloading them...

I don't upload in hi-res. My problem is with Facebook actually adding a download link and not giving us an option to disable it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

I haven't uploaded to facebook in I don't know how long. I upload to flicker or Pix.ie and then share the link out via facebook, if I want to share.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

I've only ever put them up at 720px longest. I was going to go smaller again but it seemed to lose too much detail and the albums were secured off to select groups of people anyway.
    I only upload any hi-res images to pix.ie, but there's a nice option available before uploading that limits the size the public can see to a size of your choice.

Uploading anything hi-res to facebook has always been risky anyway. Download button or not, users could always just right-click an image and save it from there. Either limit your image size, intrusively watermark your images or do both. Failing that, there's always the option to just not upload any more.

Yes ! Damn those multi-national corporations ! Those sweet tantalising indispensable multi-national corporations !

The reliance now that people have on facebook gives them the power to alter practically anything without notification and people would still stay with them. Give anyone too much power and it will be abused. The pictures thing is only the beginning. They have personal information about 500 million people worldwide which is scary when you think of it. The size and richness of facebook makes them practically indestructable in a business sense.

So yes damn those sweet tantilising indispensible multi-national corporations :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 547 ✭✭✭KylieWyley

Support the Irish.

Use your pix.ie account to share photos with family ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

i think fb is in danger of doing a my space or bebo, getting too smart for its own good , the recent upgrades have worsened the product imo , its getting hard to ascertain , whats shared , whats globally shared , and what stays private

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

The reliance now that people have on facebook gives them the power to alter practically anything without notification and people would still stay with them. Give anyone too much power and it will be abused. The pictures thing is only the beginning. They have personal information about 500 million people worldwide which is scary when you think of it. The size and richness of facebook makes them practically indestructable in a business sense.

So yes damn those sweet tantilising indispensible multi-national corporations :pac:

That's why there's a "Delete account" function.

NakedDex wrote: »

Difficult to do when so many people communicate through it. With the amount of Irish people emmigrating at the moment it is an easy way of keeping in touch. I don't really use facebook myself but can understand why other people do. It is a good product but they do have control

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Difficult to do when so many people communicate through it. With the amount of Irish people emmigrating at the moment it is an easy way of keeping in touch. I don't really use facebook myself but can understand why other people do. It is a good product but they do have control

Then just don't give it any information.

Then just don't give it any information.

I don't but the majority of people do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

gloobag wrote: »
    I don't upload in hi-res. My problem is with Facebook actually adding a download link and not giving us an option to disable it.

Have you a problem with the right mouse button too? How can that be disabled?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

I've got to be honest, people need to get a grip with regards to Facebook.

Facebook is a tool, nothing more, nothing less. Like all tools it can be extremely powerful when used properly, and can be extremely destructive in the wrong hands.

if you dont want people downloading and printing images, or using them illegaly - take steps to protect yourself, watermarks, low res etc etc.

If you dont want the world to know something about what you did last night with yer woman from up the road.
    DONT PUT IT ON THE GOD DAMNED INTERNET!

I don't but the majority of people do

Then what does it matter. Plus what good is the information facebook has about most people?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Promac

You can't disable people's print screen button. If you don't want people downloading copies of your photos, don't put them on the internet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 nuwaveimages

Eirebear wrote: »
    I've got to be honest, people need to get a grip with regards to Facebook.

Facebook is a tool, nothing more, nothing less. Like all tools it can be extremely powerful when used properly, and can be extremely destructive in the wrong hands.

if you dont want people downloading and printing images, or using them illegaly - take steps to protect yourself, watermarks, low res etc etc.

If you dont want the world to know something about what you did last night with yer woman from up the road.

Well Said,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

One thing.. WATERMARKS! Just watermark your images quite large so they can't be printed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Crispin

Reallllly don't get the problem with this. Before they added this people just right clicked and could download the image.

As everyone has said:

Water mark and or don't upload high quality images.

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Waking-Dreams

Eirebear wrote: »

It’s not always the account users who upload their own shenanigans though. I don’t have a FB account myself, but I’ve lost count of the amount of friends who've expressed their unhappiness over other people they know uploading unflattering pictures and videos of them (from nights out etc.,) without their consent. Of course, if you ask someone to take down their video/pictures you run the risk of looking too much into your own self image.

I'd say it's much harder to go out in public these days knowing that every move you make is a potential internet hit video or pic in the making. Obviously, you can’t expect people to censor what they want to upload, but I would imagine this is one of the reasons why people probably care more about their appearance and public behaviour. In the past you only had to worry about what the people who were there thought of you; now others can check up on your activities from the comfort of their laptops or phones. Sure, plenty of people use FB to "spy" on what others they know are doing.

But on the other side of the argument, we all make assess of ourselves, so maybe it’s harmless showing people just how common it is and that we shouldn't take ourselves too seriously.

Anyways, to the OP, stop uploading high-res pictures. Done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

I noticed this before Christmas so I took most of my family albums down, the likes of the kids at the beach and that! As said before facebook is a tool and a damn good one if you can get it working for you! You just have to figure out how it works to your benefit!

For me, I resize and watermark images them tag tag tag, the world and her sister get to see my favourite work pictures, mainly bridal and this brings in more work! At the same time I do watch what I say, I wouldn't put too strong am opinion of something up there as it could deter people, if I have a rough week I'm not going to tell the world I'm broke as I want to be seen as working constantly but I also want to be relatable so I would comment on my husband or kids too!

It's a fantastic marketing tool and I honestly think there are so many people who slate it just because it is so good, it's almost too good to be true since it's free, not only have I gotten a lot of work through it I also made a couple of pretty cool connections through it too!

Just learn to make it work for you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭goods

NakedDex wrote: »

There isnt even a delete account function only a disable account - so your info is there it would seem for ever /.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

from Facebook Help Center
    What is the difference between deactivation and deletion?
    If you deactivate your account, your profile and all information associated with it are immediately made inaccessible to other Facebook users. What this means is that you effectively disappear from the Facebook service. However, we do save your profile information (friends, photos, interests, etc.), so if you want to reactivate at some point, your account will look just the way it did when you deactivated. Many users deactivate their accounts for temporary reasons and expect their information to be there when they return to the service.

If you permanently delete your account, all personally identifiable information associated with your account will be purged from our database. This includes information like your name, email address, mailing address, and IM screen name. Copies of some material (photos, notes, etc.) may remain in our servers for technical reasons, but this material is disassociated from any personal identifiers and completely inaccessible to other users. Facebook also does not use content associated with accounts that have been deactivated or deleted.

So I'm guessing that there must be a permanent delete somewhere ...

Advertisement