Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why I'm always sore somewhere...

Options
  • 16-02-2011 11:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭

Right so...here we go...

Stats as of 5 weeks ago.

(Measure time again next wednesday so will repost the amazing results expected:)

Female
    6 ft, 156lbs, Bodyfat 24%, Lean mass 117lbs

Today (with PT) Lower body

Bodyweight squats x 20
    Squat rack squats x 20 (just with bar)
    x 15 @ 55kg
    x 12 @ 60kg (ok form)
    x 10 @ 60kg (better form)
    ...then it got tough!

Squats - as fast as I could- with 10kg on the bar:
    x5 with 5 sec "rest" (his term not mine!)in a squat position
    x6 with 5 sec rest
    x7 same
    x8 same
    x9 same
    x10 same
    then keep going, as many as I could till my legs fell off, without any rest
    x 100! :cool: - pretty happy with that round number :)

Lunges x 12 with 10kg in each hand

Cardio: Treadmill, 6 mins @ 12% grade incline at 6kmph for a leg cool down

Lunges contd x 10 with 12kg in each hand

Superset x3 of: Walking lunges x 20/20/20
    Jumping lunges x 20/15/10
    Seated leg press x 10 pulses at top, 10 at bottom, 10 full
    @ 30kg/45kg/45kg

Core: Holding foam roller thingy: 35x Crunches twisting to opposite knee
    30x Crunches holding roller behind head
    then up over knees
    30x Crunches something similar cant rem!

Best leg workout I've ever had! Could never have done it on my own. Burned to bejaysus but damn it felt good. Might need crutches by Friday :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

I'll definitely be checking out this log :)

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Doolee

G86 wrote: »
    I'll definitely be checking out this log :)

Oh God! Thanks!...I think:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

Yowsa, some workout.
    Another of Gem's "intro to ladies lifters" logging :D

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭xgtdec

That blue foam thing for crunching is my new enemy.....i hate it...hate it so much......:mad:

xgtdec wrote: »
    That blue foam thing for crunching is my new enemy.....i hate it...hate it so much......:mad:

Haha! I forgot about you! :) Still going to himself so? Good on ya...arnt you glad you dialed that number!

Youre right tho...that feckin blue thing looks so spongy and fun but in reality just adds more pain to your crunches! I swear they could make a 2 inch piece of thread into some torturous fitness tool and charge a bomb for it! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭JayRoc

Doolee wrote: »
    Squats - as fast as I could- with 10kg on the bar:
    x5 with 5 sec "rest" (his term not mine!)in a squat position
    x6 with 5 sec rest
    x7 same
    x8 same
    x9 same
    x10 same
    then keep going, as many as I could till my legs fell off, without any rest
    x 100! :cool: - pretty happy with that round number :)

Sorry, I'm probably taking this up wrong...
    But it's reading to me like you did a single set of squats with 30kg on your back, totalling 145 reps???

JayRoc wrote: »
    Sorry, I'm probably taking this up this wrong...
    But it's reading to me like you did a single set of squats with 30kg on your back, totalling 145 reps???

Sorry it was all at 10kg. Maybe 30kg someday. Obviously didn't expect to reach 100 but there ya go. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

Sorry it was all at 10kg. Maybe 30kg someday. Obviously didn't expect to reach 100 but there ya go. :)

That's still demented!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭gymfreak

Excellent stuff! I'm glad you succumbed to peer pressure:D

Keep up the great work!

Just out of curiousity, do you always focus on high rep squatting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

Good God woman thats mental! How are your legs today? Because I did about half of that yesterday and I can barely walk today I am in so much pain! :pac:

Will deffo be keeping an eye on this log! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭xgtdec

Dont listen to it..she just lures you in..then gives you a number and says its great..just call and they help you..but they dont, they bring you in....and then you feel real pain...its a trap...a sneaky sneaky trap..and yes i fell for it:p

gymfreak wrote: »

Just out of curiousity, do you always focus on high rep squatting?

God no! This was something we never did before. Its usually higher reps, lighter weights moving up to heavier weights and less reps. But thats why having a PT is great sometimes...you never know what the hell youre going to be doing sometimes. I've been with him for over a year now and honestly he comes up with at least one different move every time.
    Good God woman thats mental! How are your legs today? Because I did about half of that yesterday and I can barely walk today I am in so much pain! :pac:

Will deffo be keeping an eye on this log! :)

Legs are grand actually. Weird. Ass is a different story but not bad at all. Should feel it tomorrow. I always make a point of moving/walking a fair bit on a rest day so as not to seize up. :)
    xgtdec wrote: »
    Dont listen to it..she just lures you in..then gives you a number and says its great..just call and they help you..but they dont, they bring you in....and then you feel real pain...its a trap...a sneaky sneaky trap..and yes i fell for it:p

Lol!

MMMWWAAAAHAHAAHAHAHAAAAA...
    Sooooon, they will alllll be minneeeeee!!!!! :)))

Right...Todays session - Upper body
    My local gym has a pretty crap selection of goods to play with but a gal must make do.

SUPERSETS X 4 of the following:

KETTLE BELL THROW UPS (?) but used Medicine Ball as gym has no kb's
    10kg (heaviest one they have) x 30/20/16/12

SHOULDER PRESS
    14Kg X 20reps
    18Kg x 16
    23Kg x 12
    27Kg x 10

PULLDOWNS
    25Kg x 20
    32kg x 16
    39Kg x 12
    39Kg x 8

BICEP/TRICEP BENCH DIPS
    20/16/12/10

CARDIO
    Treadmill - 6 mins - 14 Incline, speed 6.0

FREEWEIGHTS
    3 Supersets of the following:

STANDING HAMMER CURLS (one arm at a time)
    4Kg x 20 Reps
    6Kg x 16
    10Kg x 12

LATERAL RAISES
    4/6/8kg x 20/14/10

DUMBELL PUSH UPS
    4/6/10KG X 20/16/12

5Kg Plate x 50reps (dunno what you call it- lift plate straight out, arms straight, up/down)

CARDIO
    Row - 10 Pressure - 1000m in 4.15min (crap feckin time!)

Smith Machine (? Rack with unremovable bar)
    10/20/25Kg x 20/14/8 reps

10Kg Plate press behind head

CORE
    35x Tip ankles
    35x Tip over knees
    35x Hip lifts with feet ontop of stability ball

Plank 2 mins

Done.
    Need to learn the proper names!
    Happy enough I think. Get lazy with cardio though.:rolleyes:

This morning...

Wanted to tackle my 5,000m rowing time of 22:10mins, so that was the aim. I failed pretty miserably, though kept it under 23 mins (22:55!) so thats ok I guess. I really hate when you think you can knock 10 secs off easily and you add another 45 secs on instead! Last time I had it on power 7 and was concentrating on full proper form, and this time I had it at power/pressure 10, and not really concentrating on form as much. Anyway,...

ROW
    5,000m in 22:55min of crap!:mad:

Didnt really know what to do after this. Was pretty wrecked. Knowing I will be doing a good upper body workout tomorrow with PT I decided to concentrate, for some reason, on low intensity(ish) and higher reps for a change, and also more cardio kind of stuff.

While deciding what to do...
    10Kg x 50 Kettlebell swings (medicine ball really)

10Kg x 20 Plate dip/push thing (where you lay on bench and drop plate behind head)

Decided to do...
    10Kg plate x 50 standing body twists holding plate away from chest
    Leg Curls - 23Kg x 100 reps

10Kg plate body twists x 50
    Leg Press - 18Kg x 100

10Kg Plate Body twists x 50
    Leg Extension - 18Kg x 50 (would never have made 100!)

So i dunno really what I was at after the rowing failed miserably.
    I think I just needed to feel a bit of a burn, thus the high reps and stuff. I threw in the body twists to let the blood flow back into my legs after the reps and get a bit of a flow going but staying away from arms mostly cause tomorrow is their day.
    Are lighter weights with higher reps just good for stamina or whats the reasoning?

Happy enough in general. Did my 5 sessions this week so roll on Monday to begin again:)

I would seriously consider changing my PT if i was you.

I would seriously consider changing my PT if i was you.

Lol!
    What makes you say that?? I've only posted up one day of training I've actually done with him so far on my log. And it was one of theee best training and most satisfying sessions ever!!!

He got me from 26% bodyfat to 17.5% in 6.5 months. He even trained me on saturdays, his days off when work took over for me and I couldnt train during the week. Then work totally took over for the last 3 months of the job so I couldnt even train weekends properly so thats why I'm back down to to 24% or whatever it is. :rolleyes:

Hey Doolee,
    I think what L was referring to is the high reps that have featured in all your workouts. Different people use different rep schemes for different purposes but yours seem to be extraordinarily high.

In the past I attended those 'Pump and Tone' classes quite regularly which feature high reps with a low weight. I found them good when I was starting off learning about weights but after a few months they no longer were of much benefit to me.

At the moment I'm doing low reps at a high intensity..but different strokes for different folks:) What are your goals?

Also, just an idea for a day like today when you were unsure of what to do..how about a quick circuit-10/15mins of simple exercises..lunges, pushups, db rows or something..just an idea if your stuck:)

Hey Doolee,
    I think what L was referring to is the high reps that have featured in all your workouts. Different people use different rep schemes for different purposes but yours seem to be extraordinarily high....

At the moment I'm doing low reps at a high intensity..but different strokes for different folks:) What are your goals?

Hey Gymfreak and L,

Honestly, I never EVER EVER EVER do high reps. I swear!!! When I did that 100 rep squat session, my trainer was pushing me to do 20 at least and I reckon he expected me to reach no more than 40. I just kept going...extra scoop of oats that morning or something! :)

So then today, cause I was neither here nor there with a plan I just thought, hey, whats all this high rep low weight stuff about (cause...as I said before...never do it!) so off I went. He hasnt given me a plan for when I'm not with him yet: will get it tomorrow he tells me. Hes alllllll about the 16/12/8 reps type thing and believe me, he knows how to increase those weights. There have been times where I've very nearly puked with the intensity so I reckon I just started my logs on an off day of sorts!

Stay tuned "L" and co. You'll see :D

Thanks a mill for the suggestions too. Sound. My goals are to get the bodyfat down and increase muscle tone and to improve my form on various moves. There was a time when I wanted to do nothing but increase the weights all the time but now I just want to do things properly. I've an assessment on Wednesday (:eek:) so will see what improvments have been made...if any!

Wish me luck!...(always get a bit nervous)

You've been with him for over a year, and he hasn't given you a set programme to do on your own?

Did you say he has a new "exercise" every session aswell?

Sorry, feel free to tell me to bug off if i'm being nosey/

You've been with him for over a year, and he hasn't given you a set programme to do on your own?

Did you say he has a new "exercise" every session aswell?

Sorry, feel free to tell me to bug off if i'm being nosey/

:D lol, youre grand!

Yeah, over a year. I never wanted a set programme for myself till now to be honest. Here's the thing...

Started with him 2 weeks before xmas 12 months. Trained with him 3 days a week and then myself, concentrated on cardio: walking/running/sprints in the mornings before brekkie as my goal back then was weight loss.

Kept training with him for the next 6 months 2/3 times a week and kept my own cardio routine going. After about 3 months I began to get really into it all and did a few drop in sessions at weekends in a gym nearish where I live, happy enough to be doing my own thing.

Then my usual cycle of working/not working began as in work started that June, 14-16-18 hour days. He trained me on Saturdays till august then I ended up working most weekends too until Dec when I finished that job. Thats the way my work goes. I'm unemployed for 6 months so I get hell for leather back into training. So a gym has opened up down the road from me at last and its cheap and I go there now too. See?

And yeah, I swear on my life...there is at least one new exercise/move/piece of equipment-big or small/way of doing something every single time. EVERY single....flippin....time! I honestly do not know where he gets it all from. It has to come to an end!

So, there yar now. God this whole log thing is a bit of work! Kind of feels like I have to make excuses for how I train :( Anyway...its nice to be chattin to new peeps.

• Advertisement

I feel like a dick now.

God this whole log thing is a bit of work! Kind of feels like I have to make excuses for how I train :( Anyway...its nice to be chattin to new peeps.

Doolee, this is your log, so you get to write in it whatever you like.

You ended one of your posts with the following question, so naturally that's why people are posting...we're not trying to catch you out or anything, I hope you don't think that:)
    Are lighter weights with higher reps just good for stamina or whats the reasoning?

With regards to your training, it is quite different to mine, so I'm naturally interested in what your doing and your progress. I hope we haven't scared you off:)

I feel like a dick now.

Now now...no need! The last line of my post said something like...nice to be chatting...yadda yadda yadda...to new people...yadda yadda ;)
    Doolee, this is your log, so you get to write in it whatever you like.

You ended one of your posts with the following question, so naturally that's why people are posting...we're not trying to catch you out or anything, I hope you don't think that:)

S'alllllll coooooooool :)

With regards to your training, it is quite different to mine, so I'm naturally interested in what your doing and your progress. I hope we haven't scared you off:)

Nah...I'll hang about for a bit I think. :) Didnt expect this much interaction I'll admit but its great. I was talking about it all to a friend of mine today and I kind of think I need to see someone in person (their physique/size you know what I mean) before I could comment on their workout. Dunno why, seems to just make more sense rather than trying to figure out such a persons logs when you only know their boards name or whatever but I guess you guys must know eachother or something?

Yeah, Gymfreak I did actually want to know what the use of high reps was so thanks a mill for that honestly.

Kinda feels like...sniff...new...sniff sniff....frieeennnndddssss!!! WAAaahhhhhhhhhhh :) (Im a saddo I know!)

I hope you don't mind me having a wee nosey too.... but if I were you I'd be asking your trainer about the high reps etc., or anything else he gives you to do that you're wondering about. IMO, you should be learning from him as you go along, so that you'll know why you're doing what you're doing in every workout.

It's also perfectly reasonable to ask him to sit down with you and go through a program that you can do on your own too, that way you'll have a bit more confidence when you're left to your own devices.

G86 wrote: »
    I hope you don't mind me having a wee nosey too.... but if I were you I'd be asking your trainer about the high reps etc., or anything else he gives you to do that you're wondering about. IMO, you should be learning from him as you go along, so that you'll know why you're doing what you're doing in every workout.

It's also perfectly reasonable to ask him to sit down with you and go through a program that you can do on your own too, that way you'll have a bit more confidence when you're left to your own devices.

Hey, thanks G86,

But honestly...I cant stress this enough...at this stage, he is sick to death of my asking questions about why I'm doing this that and the other. Im actually really interested in being a PT myself (I can see your jaws dropping after these last threads!) so want to learn as much as possible. THe high rep question never came up with him before cause we never do them! (im beginning to wish we/I never had:rolleyes:)

He's giving me a program tomorrow...there will be questions...there always is!

Hey, thanks G86,

But honestly...I cant stress this enough...at this stage, he is sick to death of my asking questions about why I'm doing this that and the other. Im actually really interested in being a PT myself (I can see your jaws dropping after these last threads!) so want to learn as much as possible. THe high rep question never came up with him before cause we never do them! (im beginning to wish we/I never had:rolleyes:)

He's giving me a program tomorrow...there will be questions...there always is!

Ah right grand so :) Good luck tomorrow!

*sheepishly approaches laptop...*

Here we go, Upper body workout this morning was as follows (as far as I can remember...hopefully its all there)

SUPERSETS X 5 OF:

Shoulder Press Machine
    13.6Kg x 16 reps
    13.6kg x 14
    18.? x 12
    22.? x 10
    26.? x 8
    (Kgs were something like that, dont know exactly)

Standing Dumbbell Lateral Raises
    3Kg db x 16 ( tipping dbs in the middle at hips)
    3kg x 14
    5Kg x 12 (Hands by your side, not touching in middle: Harder!)
    5Kg x 10
    7.5Kg x 8

Press Ups
    Using Hex type dumbbells - 16/14/12/10/8

CARDIO

Row - 1,500 metres in 6 mins exactly (PB for me!:))

SUPERSETS X 3 OF:

Smith Machine
    5Kg x 10 top pulse, 10 bottom pulse, 10 full
    10Kg x 10 top pulse, 10 bottom pulse, 10 full
    15Kg x 10 top pulse, 10 bottom pulse, 10 full

Peck Fly type machine thing! (Holding arms straight out and tipping sides of hands in the centre)
    22Kg/32Kg? - 16/12/10 reps

CARDIO

Treadmill
    6 mins at 14% incline, 6km speed

WEIGHTS

(Standing, Lift from hips to shoulders, shoulders to upstraight)
    5Kg dbs x 16/12 reps
    7.5Kg x 10

Mixed with:
    Bench Press (Started heavier-got lighter)
    20Kg x 10
    15Kg x 14
    10Kg x 10 (I think it was)

CORE

Using blue foam roller from Hell (shall now be known as B.F.R.H)!
    30 x Oblique crunches holding BFRH
    30 x Sit up/crunches holding BFRH
    30 x Leg raises/crunches clenching BFRH between ankles (very flattering!)

30 x each leg - bicycle type crunches ?? but with feet on bench, in a press up position and touching knees to elbows.

Done.

I love working out. :)

This mornin...

1500m row

Bicep curls
    10kg x 20
    15kg x 15
    20kg x 10

Jog- 2km on treadmill

Seated dbell curls
    6kg x 15
    8kg x 12
    10kg x 10

Standing hammer curls
    10kg- 4 sets of 12

1500 row

In, out, done. Assessment tomorrow. Hate it and love it. Just as long as it's good news! Wish me luck!

Assessment tomorrow. Hate it and love it. Just as long as it's good news! Wish me luck!

I know the feeling...only I have no affection towards assessment AT ALL..mainly cos I suck at it:D

What does your assessment comprise of? (Stats?, fitness?, strength?) and how often do you get assessed..I can't help it..I always ask alot of questions

Oh, and good luck!:)

• Advertisement

I know the feeling...only I have no affection towards assessment AT ALL..mainly cos I suck at it:D

What does your assessment comprise of? (Stats?, fitness?, strength?) and how often do you get assessed..I can't help it..I always ask alot of questions

Oh, and good luck!:)

Hey Gymfreak,

I'm sure you dont suck at it! Its tough sometimes when you think you will do great, and you come out disappointed. Depends how competitive you are with yourself I guess

I usually get measured every 6 weeks, but made a few dietary changes this time round so wanted to get assessed after 4 weeks...so its been 4 and a half (every day counts!)

He gets the callipers out and measures upper arm fat, thigh, above navel, below navel (hate that bit!) weight, and with the tape, measures chest (hate that bit too cause I'm always shrinking!) and hips and waist. I kind of dont care about the weight or measurements, just about the bodyfat % and muscle mass.

I'm the type that needs to see some sort of progression, good or bad, otherwise, feels like a pointless exercise (no pun intended!).

What about you? Same?

Advertisement