Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why I'm always sore somewhere...

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭gymfreak

Doolee wrote: »
    Hey Gymfreak,

I'm sure you dont suck at it! Its tough sometimes when you think you will do great, and you come out disappointed. Depends how competitive you are with yourself I guess
    Nope, I'm always great leading up to testing and then choke in the final days...vicious cycle..it happens to the best of us:D
    I usually get measured every 6 weeks, but made a few dietary changes this time round so wanted to get assessed after 4 weeks...so its been 4 and a half (every day counts!)

He gets the callipers out and measures upper arm fat, thigh, above navel, below navel (hate that bit!) weight, and with the tape, measures chest (hate that bit too cause I'm always shrinking!) and hips and waist. I kind of dont care about the weight or measurements, just about the bodyfat % and muscle mass.

I'm the type that needs to see some sort of progression, good or bad, otherwise, feels like a pointless exercise (no pun intended!).

What about you? Same?
    I test every 6-8weeks..always leaning for the 8weeks side of things..the less testing the better:)

Stats: Weight and body fat with calipers.
    Strength Testing:
    Bench 1RM
    Pullups
    Pushups in 1min
    Inverted rows in 1min
    Trap bar Deadlift 1RM
    and then a wonderful fitness test to finish it all off:(

By the way, did you ask your trainer about the reasoning behind the high reps? What did he say?

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Doolee

gymfreak wrote: »
    I test every 6-8weeks..always leaning for the 8weeks side of things..the less testing the better:)

Stats: Weight and body fat with calipers.
    Strength Testing:
    Bench 1RM
    Pullups
    Pushups in 1min
    Inverted rows in 1min
    Trap bar Deadlift 1RM
    and then a wonderful fitness test to finish it all off:(

By the way, did you ask your trainer about the reasoning behind the high reps? What did he say?

Wow...totally different. THink I prefer my way though! I do try beat my times on the rower though...or whatever cardio we're concentrating on.

Yeah, I asked him if I was wasting my time doing big reps with light weights, and in a nutshell he said yep, no benefit to you really at this stage. (Just to clarify, I took a notion myself to do the reps, just cause...apart from the squats he did with me, but anyway)
    We talked alllll about muscle fibres, long and short and how different exercises affect different fibres, so cardio type stuff (high reps lighter weights) works the small fibres (I think it was) and the long ones for weights (may have gotten that wrong). I was saying that I thought once it burned it was good, but he said not that simple. I love our conversations like that cause I just find the science of strength and fitness soooooo freeeeekkkiiinn interesting! Hes getting sick of my questions though bless him :)

Got a plan from him too for alternate days, so happy out. :)

Yeah, I asked him if I was wasting my time doing big reps with light weights, and in a nutshell he said yep, no benefit to you really at this stage.

I love our conversations like that cause I just find the science of strength and fitness soooooo freeeeekkkiiinn interesting! Hes getting sick of my questions though bless him :)
    ..Nothing wrong with asking questions...I do it all the time..to everyone...mainly cos I get confused alot:D:pac:
    Got a plan from him too for alternate days, so happy out. :)
    Good stuff!

Ok, now, in fairness, if I was reading this, I wouldnt believe me either...

Assessment results after 4.5 weeks...in a nutshell...(wheres my trumpet), brace yourselves...

BodyFat % = 17.6% down from a big fat 24.5%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously...I have all the results from the very first day ever if y'all dont believe it...I'm still in serious shock and needless to say, absolutely totally and utterly delighted with meself!

122.7lbs of lean gorgeous muscle up from 117.7lbs.

I wont bore anyone with the other details but there is a reason I reckon that its such a jump in such a short time, and,...well, (only girls read this right?)...the last time I was measured I was on day two of my em...my,...em...lady, eh, visitor!!! :o Cant bring myself to type it but ye know what I mean. So even though there were losses then too, its pretty unbelievable how it affects your overall body, even if it doesnt feel like it! So that and the fact I've been working really hard has paid off :)))

Dont really know what to aim for now. Dont want to loose any for bodyfat or whatever, so on a maintenance diet. No idea how to do that, but the PT says just experiment. Common sense really. Stay clean during the week and enjoy the weekend :)

So, anyway, trumpet is going back in its case for now...
    Heres todays workout:

Lower Body:

Lunges x 20 bodyweight (sit/stand)
    Walking lunges x 20

SUPERSET x 4
    20Kg on Barbell on shoulders x 16/14/12/10 sit/stand
    Same, standing lunges x 20 each leg

Treadmill: 6 mins, 14% incline, 6kph

SUPERSETS X 4
    Hang Clean using 10Kg weights bag thing x 16/14/12/10
    Step Ups (onto seat of one of the machines...nice and high up!)

Cross Trainer, 6 mins, keep over 50

SUPERSETS X 4
    Leg Curls x 25/20/16 (at 4th weight from bottom?) /12 (at 59.9Kg)
    Something else here---cant remember for the life of me!

Core
    A selection of crunches/twists x 4 sets, 30 reps using the bloody BFRH again!

And off I skipped :)

Well done!! Keep up the good work.

• Advertisement

Well done!! Keep up the good work.

Thanks missis, modesty shall return tomorrow. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

The reds playing at home (sorry...) wouldn't have any effect on your body fat levels at all. At all.... Did your PT tell you they did?

There's a chance I'm going to come across harsh, but you seem to be working your ar5e off, paying for a trainer and not getting the results you deserve.

Hanley wrote: »
    The reds playing at home (sorry...) wouldn't have any effect on your body fat levels at all. At all.... Did your PT tell you they did?

There's a chance I'm going to come across harsh, but you seem to be working your ar5e off, paying for a trainer and not getting the results you deserve.

God my poor pt is getting an awful rap these days, dunno what I'm satin wrong!:rolleyes:
    No, I know the painters (nice one:) would have absolutly no effect whatsoever on the bf, but would of course lead to water retention, thus weight and bloatedness, thus some measurements...not bodyfat.

I've gotten exactly the results I wanted from him, honestly, I've never been so happy with it all. Not sure what in what way my results could reflect him having a negative influence to be honest? Maybe it's all being misunderstood in print! But hand on heart, starting with him was one of the best decisions I've ever made. It's money well spent IMO. Have I persuaded ya yet???!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

God my poor pt is getting an awful rap these days, dunno what I'm satin wrong!:rolleyes:
    No, I know the painters (nice one:) )would have absolutly no effect whatsoever on the bf, but would of course lead to water retention, thus weight and bloatedness, thus some measurements...not bodyfat.

I've gotten exactly the results I wanted from him, honestly, I've never been so happy with it all. Not sure what in what way my results could reflect him having a negative influence to be honest? Maybe it's all being misunderstood in print! But hand on heart, starting with him was one of the best decisions I've ever made. It's money well spent IMO. Have I persuaded ya yet???!

I'd say a lot is being lost in translation, but some of the stuff he seems to be telling your is the the typical jiggery pokery that PT's tell their clients.

Like he told ya you gained 5lb of muscle in 4.5 weeks and dropped body fat too?? In a trained state (ie you've been training consistently for a while), those sorta gains are pretty much impossible.

Some of the exercise groupings and stuff he has ya doing are a bit random too.

I've no idea who he is like, so can't comment on anything other than what I've seen here. But to be honest, if you're happy with the results you're getting, even if some of the stuff he's telling you isn't technically correct, does it really matter?!?

Hanley wrote: »
    I'd say a lot is being lost in translation, but some of the stuff he seems to be telling your is the the typical jiggery pokery that PT's tell their clients.

Like he told ya you gained 5lb of muscle in 4.5 weeks and dropped body fat too?? In a trained state (ie you've been training consistently for a while), those sorta gains are pretty much impossible.

Some of the exercise groupings and stuff he has ya doing are a bit random too.

I've no idea who he is like, so can't comment on anything other than what I've seen here. But to be honest, if you're happy with the results you're getting, even if some of the stuff he's telling you isn't technically correct, does it really matter?!?

Good Mornin!

Here is the defence...

Well, I'm going to need more evidence of jiggery pokery! :confused:
    :)
    OF COURSE i didnt gain 5lbs of muscle in 5 weeks...that is the result from one assessment to the next...thats what the numbers said so, thats what they are! I've been training my ASS since I finished work at the start of Dec...eating clean...not drinking...so its all added up at last thank God! I trained with him 3 days a week for the first 6 weeks, and now its just two days with him, and 3 myself. I didnt just start training 5 weeks ago! I just thought it was an interesting jump in the stats, some of which is associated, in MY opinion, and his I suppose to the reds :)

So, each to their own I guess. But which exercise groupings do you think are kind of random? What would you do? (Not causing a fight or anything ok, just interested in different types of training.)

Anyway, at the end of the day, I got the best results ever and I'm in the best shape of my life. :cool: So he/me must be doing something right.

Its just so mad all the stick hes getting in this forum:D I honestly think I'm just not being clear in my delivery of what I'm at. I've been looking up the exercises on you tube cause I dunno what half of them are called! But I have to defend him and my type of training you understand!

Nothin like a bit of debate;)

• Advertisement

Hey Doolee,
    I hope you don't mind me jumping into the discussion aswell:)First let me say that I have no qualifications in fitness at all, just a keen interest and a curious mind!

Like you said before, you are interested in maybe becoming a PT yourself so it's great to see that your openminded and always ready for discussions. I think that the biggest problems with PT's in Ireland is that after they get their initial qualification the vast majority don't do any type of continual professional development. I'm actually amazed at the amount of info I've picked up from just hanging around with and talking to people that know their stuff.

It's great to see the progress that you've made with your PT, and he is obviously a positive influence on you!

With regards to your training log, I'm looking forward to seeing the progressions that you are making. Within any training programme progression is the key. I know you were previously judging the effectiveness of your workouts by your stats..now that you've acheived the bodyfat level you wanted how are you going to move your training up a notch?

Just a few points that I've been pondering..(feel free to tell me to bugger off, but I'm gonna guess that seeing as you seem as interested in the area as me that you'll enjoy the discussion:))..

1. Why do you not use freeweights? This only raises a question in my mind seeing as you've mentioned training with a PT for over a year. I'm just wondering why he hasn't got you lifting heavier weights? Maybe this is down to your goals or is it something that you dislike?

2. What is the idea behind the incline walking on the treadmill?

3. Do you always use high reps (anything above 8reps is high in my opinion:P). Have you ever focused on lifting in the 3-5 rep range with heavier weights?

4. You mentioned he always has a new exercise each session..Do you not have a set programme...I'm curious about this point in terms of progression.
    Its just so mad all the stick hes getting in this forum:D I honestly think I'm just not being clear in my delivery of what I'm at. I've been looking up the exercises on you tube cause I dunno what half of them are called! But I have to defend him and my type of training you understand!

Nothin like a bit of debate;)
    Please don't feel like you have to defend your training, I'm just curious about it as it's different to mine. I'm sure if you looked at my log you'd have plenty of questions for me too!!

Im not sure how to write in between quotes so hope my stuff wont mix in with yours!
    Hey Doolee,

Like you said before, you are interested in maybe becoming a PT yourself so it's great to see that your openminded and always ready for discussions. I think that the biggest problems with PT's in Ireland is that after they get their initial qualification the vast majority don't do any type of continual professional development. I'm actually amazed at the amount of info I've picked up from just hanging around with and talking to people that know their stuff.

Absolutly...and thats another reason I love having a PT. You can talk and learn about so much if you want to, or just do what your told and pray for it to be over soon! :)

With regards to your training log, I'm looking forward to seeing the progressions that you are making. Within any training programme progression is the key. I know you were previously judging the effectiveness of your workouts by your stats..now that you've acheived the bodyfat level you wanted how are you going to move your training up a notch?

Yeah, this is something I've been trying to think about today now that I've reached where I wanted to be, sooner than i though. I'm a little bit daunted to be honest. I need a goal. I was even browsing a Sports Psychology book today about how different types of athletes work and was looking for info on goals and frames of mind and stuff. Anyway, he's been encouraging me with my rowing so I'm looking into amateur competitions indoor. Waiting to hear back from a few people. I'd like to see what that leads to. Im not a body builder, so my focus was never to be able to lift 200kg in a deadlift type thing, I think its more about getting generally fitter, stronger, happier with a few challenges. I certainly never imagined I'd be looking for rowing competitions thats for sure! Also.....I, em...cant...em...swim! so now that Im feeling invincable, next week is suss out lessons week...and in the long run, think about triathlon?!!?!?!?! maybe:rolleyes:

Just a few points that I've been pondering..(feel free to tell me to bugger off, but I'm gonna guess that seeing as you seem as interested in the area as me that you'll enjoy the discussion:))..

work away!

1. Why do you not use freeweights? This only raises a question in my mind seeing as you've mentioned training with a PT for over a year. I'm just wondering why he hasn't got you lifting heavier weights? Maybe this is down to your goals or is it something that you dislike?

Yeah I always use freeweights. "Dumbells" right!? See Im just not so familiar with the terms I think. The supersets I've posted up all have dumbell exercises in them. A session is generally a combo of bodyweight/dumbell/freeweights/machines/cardio and whatever else there is!

2. What is the idea behind the incline walking on the treadmill?
    Not sure to be honest...just his style. Try it out, its not as easy as it sounds:) Another trainer in the gym often has her clients, (and she does it herself too sometimes when Im there, if shes free) puts the treadmill on the full incline so you have to hang on or you'll fall back, and walks at a very fast speed for 10mins. Just another option I guess.

3. Do you always use high reps (anything above 8reps is high in my opinion:P). Have you ever focused on lifting in the 3-5 rep range with heavier weights?

Honestly yeah, though I reckon low reps is anything under 10!. No I never do 3-5. The least I've done is 6 but thats rare. Again, just his style of training.

4. You mentioned he always has a new exercise each session..Do you not have a set programme...I'm curious about this point in terms of progression.

Yep, this is what dumbfounds me. But at this stage its usually just something small, like, yesterday using the foam roller thingy, doing crunches we sort of did it a different way than before...just a different sort of twisty crunchy way...hard to explain :P But generally theres a routine:
    Training now twice a week is upper or lower body (3 times was legs/back and shoulders/biceps-triceps arms etc)
    Its usually start off with a cardioy bodyweight warmup thing then
    a superset of whatever; freeweights and bodyweight or something
    then cardio for 6 mins (thank god its only short...always has been. These days its rowing and I try beat my last time)
    Then more supersets or whatever...varies
    More cardio
    Supersets or again whatever, varies
    Core
    Collapse!

(I hope I'm correct in the term Supersets. I mean 3 different moves, machines or otherwise at a higher rep/heavy weight, gradually upping the weight and lowering the reps x 3 or 4 or whatever)

Please don't feel like you have to defend your training, I'm just curious about it as it's different to mine. I'm sure if you looked at my log you'd have plenty of questions for me too!!

No worries:) I honestly though everyone just did the same sort of stuff. Are you with Crossfit or do you have a PT or are you doing it all yourself?
    I'm going to check out your log. I did before but flicked through it....must have a better look:)

I must admit, I am a little freeked out by how I'm conveying what I'm at, and my trainer. I'm tempted to unveil his identity and where he trains but I dont think its appropriate to be honest. As I was saying to Hanley before, I definately think lots is being lost in translation. I'm not knowledgeable about the right names and stuff so leads to confusion. I am sort of fighting to defend it all but its interesting/entertaining/amusing...and maybe a teeny weeny bit frustrating...but mustly amusing at the reactions before.

I reckon youre like me though; you've discovered and kind of become a little addicted to the whole fitness thing maybe...and its interesting. So so interesting. My friends have zero interst in anything like this so I've turned to boards or my trainer for info but while warey of what I read on the net in general, I'm equally warey about forums! (I mean that in a nice way!!!) Everyones got to say their tuppence worth. If we all thought and did the same it would be pretty boring! ;)

Gymfreak,
    Sorry! I dont know how to multiquote bits of one message properly so I've written stuff in the middle of your quote!

Doolee

No worries:) I honestly thought everyone just did the same sort of stuff. Are you with Crossfit or do you have a PT or are you doing it all yourself?
    I'm going to check out your log. I did before but flicked through it....must have a better look:)
    Nope I'm not with Crossfit nor do I have a PT. I started training in a coached gym in October so the programmes I follow are that of the gym..

I must admit, I am a little freeked out by how I'm conveying what I'm at, and my trainer. I'm tempted to unveil his identity and where he trains but I dont think its appropriate to be honest. As I was saying to Hanley before, I definately think lots is being lost in translation. I'm not knowledgeable about the right names and stuff so leads to confusion. I am sort of fighting to defend it all but its interesting/entertaining/amusing...and maybe a teeny weeny bit frustrating...but mustly amusing at the reactions before.
    Like I said before, you don't need to defend your training but you should be aware of what your doing and critical of it too...by that I mean, asking yourself questions..What am I doing? Why am I doing it this way? I think that can be the problem with a lot of people, that they don't take enough interest in what their doing to evaluate and decide whether it's working or not...that's not directed at you..I'm just saying in general terms.
    I reckon youre like me though; you've discovered and kind of become a little addicted to the whole fitness thing maybe...and its interesting. So so interesting. My friends have zero interst in anything like this so I've turned to boards or my trainer for info but while warey of what I read on the net in general, I'm equally warey about forums! (I mean that in a nice way!!!) Everyones got to say their tuppence worth. If we all thought and did the same it would be pretty boring! ;)
    Yeh I got into the whole fitness thing a few years ago as a stress relief from a crazy job, then I learnt how to lift at one of G'ems workshops during the summer and got interested in the whole weights side of things as opposed to solely running/spinning and all that jazz.

With regards to the forum,it doesn't take long for you to realise who knows their stuff and who doesn't. I've met a fair amount of boardies at this stage and I know who to listen to. For instance, Hanley holds a lot of Powerlifting records and always gives sound advice so I tend to listen to him..even if he does have a HUGE ego:P
    Yeah I always use freeweights. "Dumbells" right!? See Im just not so familiar with the terms I think. The supersets I've posted up all have dumbell exercises in them. A session is generally a combo of bodyweight/dumbell/freeweights/machines/cardio and whatever else there is!
    Yes, Dumbbells, kettlebells, barbells..I suppose I was just wondering why havent logged many compound movements yet..deadlifts, squat, overhead press, pushups, pullups, bench, rows.

Advertisement