Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Road Safety related photos wanted... (See Mod Note - Post #5)

• 16-02-2011 11:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭

disregard

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

canofworms.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

Sorry OP, asking for pics for credit on here is a real minefield. You will get some people who will offer you the pics for free in exchange for credit but a lot of us frown at the idea. I would have entertained the idea starting off but the more work you do, the more you realise you really de-value your work. We're used to the terms "we can't pay you, but can credit you", it's a case of me going into a shop saying "I can't pay for this Macbook but I can credit you for advertising it."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

I agree with you Ken about doing work for nothing but in this case I would like to know more, if the op is setting up a road safety awareness website that could potentially save a kids life or prevent serious injury then his "pro bono" work should be applauded and I would have no problem providing images.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

The OP has stated their need and that there is no fee for images, only credit. I know many have a problem with this, but please let's not go into it all again. Just ignore this thread and move on.

OP Could you please supply more details about the website?
    Who owns it?
    Are all involved in the project volunteers?

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭God Father

disregard

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

God Father wrote: »
    Thank you for the clarification.

I see what you are saying and you will have to appreciate my ignornace about the issue you raised.

I dont see it as the same as the example you gave, because what would the person in the position of buying a laptop have to offer a shop in terms of valuable exposure?

My thoughts where it is a great cause that some might be interested in getting involved in, and there is the possibility of gaining exposure on a decent website with some decent traffic. There may not have been cash directly involved some place a value on things other than money.

It is as I said a website for primary school children and I will benefit nothing from it. In fact it has and will continue to cost me time and money (and I am a student).

If I was at all able to pay for images I would but I am only putting it out there to a photography community. I dont know what photos people have in their portfolio that they are willing to share but it is worth asking about.

The thought also occured to me that perhaps some of the people here that are recreational photographers might pass by somewhere in their community that would make for a great photo and think i'll snap that next time I pass and it would make a good photo for the thread I read the other day...

Thats the kind of thing that is good about Boards..

But anyway maybe I'm a bit nieve...

I will leave it out there for anyone that is interested.

Cheers, GF

I know this is not a photography issue, but I think you should do some research and consult with the relevant authorities before proceeding. Such a venture is far more ramified (and the can of worms potentially much larger) than you might think.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭God Father

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    I know this is not a photography issue, but I think you should do some research and consult with the relevant authorities before proceeding. Such a venture is far more ramified (and the can of worms potentially much larger) than you might think.

Who said I haven't?

In any event I couldn't have predicted this kind of a reaction and I am quite surprised to say the least. Please disregard this thread and mods feel free to delete it when you get a chance.

GF

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

I dont see it as the same as the example you gave, because what would the person in the position of buying a laptop have to offer a shop in terms of valuable exposure?

It's plain to see from the look of a Macbook, that its a Macbook. Lots of nice free advertising for Apple there, yet they still see fit to charge people a grand for it.

I know its been done to death around here, but i think this time its a case of someone being a little naive, rather than trying to take advantage.

But look at it this way, when you graduate from your studies, and someone asks you to perform the job that you will be qualified to do, for free, will you do it? (it would be an easy assumption to make that your studying something to do with web design given the content of your request, which would make it even more naive given that web designers suffer the exact same issues as photographers in this respect.)

I'm a student myself, and recently spent over £60 on props and set up for one single photograph. I know that is kind of besides the point, but it might give you an idea that photography isnt simply a case of buying a good camera, and then take the kind of pictures that will promote and illustrate various websites. Even the "recreational photographers" have put a lot of money, time and effort into their endeavours, is it fair to ask them to give it away for nothing? A link on a website doesnt pay the bills.

That said, if you dont ask...you dont get. So, good luck with the project.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I do a lot of work around the local community, you might classify it as free but seldom things are free these days. I have my agenda in providing this work, I get what I want and the community get pro grade photographs of their event. Two of my biggest contracts came from volunteer work that I did.

Keep it on track and if you have something constructive to add then do otherwise the moderation note is above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

It sounds like you're trying to do a good thing, op, and for that I wish you fair play.

As you say, it's worth asking - some are willing to share for free, some are not (for very good reasons), but for something like thus you may find more willing as it's a good works thingy.

Could I ask whether your website is a collaboration with your local county councils road safety officer, or the gardaí, or anyone else official? Or will you be "in competition" with em? ;)

I think if you gave some more info about the website, it's content generally, and what the purpose etc of it is, you may have a better chance for contributions.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

DE1755B1B3E14BBCBE8A8235EE3E745E-500.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭City-Exile

humberklog wrote: »
    DE1755B1B3E14BBCBE8A8235EE3E745E-500.jpg

Was that taken down near Athlone?
    It reminds me of something I saw when I was going to Portlick Wood, near Glasson in Westmeath.

As for the OP, he never did give valid background information on the website, with regard to who owns it, etc. No wonder people are sceptical.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

@ City Exile...Bingo! Westmeath it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭City-Exile

@ City Exile...Bingo! Westmeath it is.

Memory like an Elephant, me! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

M1 between Drogheda and Dundalk, 2009, driver deceased. is that what you are looking for

148463.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

The Irish solution to that Irish problem is to drive in the middle of the road at 65 kph!

To the OP, I don't doubt that you are well intentioned and in the normal course of events I would have no problem 'donating' loads of photos.

However, on mature reflection I wondered whether another independent road safety initiative aimed at primary schools might be a good idea. It's not a photography issue though, more one of coordination with the statutory authorities (who already are, or ought to be. doing this work).

Good luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭dinneenp

I have this as a joke- bad grammar. Are the children 'a bit slow' or just slow walkers?

for any credit please mention 'Patrick Dinneen, http://www.photoblog.ie please.

Advertisement