Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where to start

Options
  • 17-02-2011 12:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,738 ✭✭✭✭

hey folks,
    iv been working in the transport industries for 6 years now i done a iata fas course that set me on the road,
    I just think its time i got a degree as its the one way i can move up in the industries plus it seems what every looks for if i ever want to work abroad,
    I didnt really do well n my leaving but realise now that its time i made something off my life, but where do i start in trying to get a degree, is it still possible at 27, when i cSn't afford to give up my job, is it possible to study at night,
    Any help would be great thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭rcdk1

In the nicest possibly way, at 27 you are still very young! Go for it.

Since you want to continue working, i'd start with the nearest college and see if it has any suitable night courses. Then expand your search to colleges within a reasonable commute. Then look at distance-learning courses in Ireland and UK.

Any idea what course you want to do? If it's work related your employer may give you a hand with fees and/or time off for study/exams. Even if they don't, it's good to show that you're ambitious (in a good way) and want to better yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Go to the CAO website and it gives you a list of all the colleges. There are links for each college - click on their prospectus page which will give you a list of all the courses. In the prospectus it will describe what is covered on the course and what type of career you may go into afterwards. Some colleges do part time courses. I know DIT have have a good selection. See if anything stands out as being of interest to you. Then see if any of the other colleges/unis offer the course and start researching the area.

After that, get emailing the college to find out about information days, general information on the course and mature student application.

27 is still relatively young for a mature student!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭síofra

Fair play to you for wanting to get back into education and improving yourself:) This page has loads of information and links that might be useful for you showing what your options are and what financial supports might be available for you.
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/education/returning_to_education/sources_of_information_on_returning_to_education.html

Best of luck:)

Advertisement