Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please help ...I am some fool

Options
  • 17-02-2011 12:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭

I signed up to one of those debt consolidation companies. I know all about them about 12 hours too late. I haven't parted with any money! How can I back out without them taking payment! I stupidly signed a dd mandate. Stupid actions in pure desperation. What will I do???

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Was this following some form of cold calling from them?
    If so there may be a 7 day cooling off period in the contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Aruba08

No I just read more about them . I didnt sign any contract

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Aruba08 wrote: »
    I signed up to one of those debt consolidation companies.
    Aruba08 wrote: »
    I didnt sign any contract

I'm confused
    What did you sign?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Banking & Insurance & Pensions

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭CoalBucket

If the only thing you have signed is a dd form you can cancel that with your bank. My advice would be to contact your bank first and foremost.

In addition I assume there is some cooling off period in any financial contract. You have effectively taken out a loan, if my reading of your post is correct, and all loans are subject to a cooling off period unless you waived that right.

Contact the company and don't take no for an answer.

• Advertisement

Apologies I phrased it wrongly. They confirmed that I qualified over the phone. I was sent a pack that I completed with my debts that are owed and I signed the direct debit mandate.

Would the cooling off period apply in this instance? I really don't want them to take a payment.

Thank you coalbucket. I will definately not take no for an answer. I am livid with myself

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Get straight on to them tomorrow.

Cancel dd by phone and in writing to bank.

Cancel with debt co by phone, email and letter. Registered post even.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,192 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Did you make a saving on your debt? If you got it at 5% it was a bargin, 157% on the other hand..

ahhhhh all sorted and canceled...they were ok about it actually.....phew:)

Its amazing how impulsive one can be in times of pure desperation

Thanks for all the replies

• Advertisement

Good man,
    Glad you got sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

even if they had refused you could just have taken their money and paid it back to them straight away thus clearing the loan.

you may have been hit for fee/one months interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Toboldlygo

Be aware and be very cautious. These companies are not set up to be helpful to the poor unfortunate beings who find themselves in desparate situations. They want to make a profit and how can they do that without someone paying . . . usually the poor unfortunate, of course!

First rule is talk to the company that you own money to, this may be hard to take and they may treat you like s**te but they will usually be more interested in getting their capital (the money they lent you) back than sticking the arm in for more.

Your original creditor will want to get shot of you without going to the added expense of employing solicitors to take legal action to recover their money. AND contrary to the opinion of some they will usually not be totally unreasonable and the people you meet to discuss your woeful financial situation will feel as bad as you do (well almost).

Advertisement