Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Few Questions To Ask

Options
  • 17-02-2011 12:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Have a few questions to ask:
    Q1: im thinking of going to Oz later in the year on a WHV and im wondering will my passport be ok, it expires in Oct 2013 and say if i go to Oz and stay on for a second year, so say for arguement sake i go in Sept this year then stay til Sept 2013, that will be a month left on my current passport, would they be problems?
    Q2. Would people recommend bringing a laptop with them? it be handy to have it to use Skype to talk to family and friends, would it be safe in hostels etc, would they have safes?

Q3. This is probably a stupid question to ask but what would you pack say as in clothes, what would you pack into a backpack? it is just basics to bring?say some summer clothes and and of course toiletries, i really dont know what people pack when they go travelling!!
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

newuser11 wrote: »
    Q1: im thinking of going to Oz later in the year on a WHV and im wondering will my passport be ok, it expires in Oct 2013 and say if i go to Oz and stay on for a second year, so say for arguement sake i go in Sept this year then stay til Sept 2013, that will be a month left on my current passport, would they be problems?

There would be no problems now, and you have a year to renew it (takes 6 weeks and you can renew it from Oz) there may be problems if you want to travel on to another country ... but this is 30months away!
    Q2. Would people recommend bringing a laptop with them? it be handy to have it to use Skype to talk to family and friends, would it be safe in hostels etc, would they have safes?
    A lot of people bring laptops now, and internet is free in parts of Australia (Maccers, train stations, libraries etc) - safety of hostels .... well that really depends on the hostels themselves, most are, but just have to be careful
    Q3. This is probably a stupid question to ask but what would you pack say as in clothes, what would you pack into a backpack? it is just basics to bring?say some summer clothes and and of course toiletries, i really dont know what people pack when they go travelling!!
    Honestly just think to yourself - what would I need and want while travelling? Also you can buy a lot of stuff in Aus, so don't worry if you forget anything.

There is a search functionality on the right hand side - this "what do I bring" question has been answered a few times.
    Also there is a "read me before posting" and that contains a lot of information about Visas etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 newuser11

^ Thanks for your answer,
    how would you go about applying for a new passport while in Oz?
    So the few things i have to do is?:
    Apply for WHV,
    Get an Online tax File Number
    Open Bank Account

Another question: where would i get a backpack? What shops sells them? i live in Waterford and cant think of any shop that does them around here, i know you can buy online but i rather see them and try one on before i buy.

Apply for WHV,
    Open Bank Account

you can get a tax file number and bank account when you land ... don't pay a company to do these for you

Seriously how do you think you get a passport renewed when in Aus ?
    *Hint Irish embassy*

do a search on the forum for any questions you have, we are not going to hand hold you through every step

Ive found a lot of useful info on this, boards is great for it.
    And yes i should have known about the Embassy for the passport!! Sorry
    Are you in Oz?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Are you in Oz?

Yes hes the wizard.

Most of us on this forum are in Oz or NZ.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

Cheers

As the guys said above you can get the passport renewed in An Irish Embassy . Take a look at this Read More

The laptop thing . Well alot of the hostels have lockers in the rooms now that you get a key to . It's up to your self just means you have some thing extra to lug around and be carefull of not to lose you could use the many net cafes around instead and put your mind more at ease .

As for cloths I wouldn't bother bring all that much really . You can also pick up loads of cheap stuff at Big W or Target or the like .

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭inkogneetoe

Re the passport,to save hassle just get it renewed now for a new 10 year one. Save the possible stress in OZ.

@Zambia......I wish I was in OZ :-(

Im back again for another question, im currently applying for the visa, im not sure of one question, though this is it:
    In the course of deciding this application, we may need you to attend an Australian Government office for an interview. If this occurs, which office would you prefer to go to? Is it London you put down? when there nothing for Ireland?

Anyone here to help with my question in the previous post? Please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

Im back again for another question, im currently applying for the visa, im not sure of one question, though this is it:
    In the course of deciding this application, we may need you to attend an Australian Government office for an interview. If this occurs, which office would you prefer to go to? Is it London you put down? when there nothing for Ireland?

Yes. The chances of being called are minute.

• Advertisement

jackbhoy wrote: »
    Yes. The chances of being called are minute.

Cheers for the reply, i dont fancy forking out money on a flight to London.

Cheers for the reply, i dont fancy forking out money on a flight to London.
    you don't have an ireland option as there is no ireland embassy, I have never heard of anyone been called in.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭kieranfitz

Apply for WHV,
    Open Bank Account

Another question: where would i get a backpack? What shops sells them? i live in Waterford and cant think of any shop that does them around here, i know you can buy online but i rather see them and try one on before i buy.

go outdoor down on the quays lad. tkmaxx may be worth a look too

kieranfitz wrote: »
    go outdoor down on the quays lad. tkmaxx may be worth a look too

Was in the outdoor shop, the guy was very helpful, found the perfect bag, its one that opens out like a book and has a detachable bag on it too, perfect as a carry on bag for the plane.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 lstars

Was in the outdoor shop, the guy was very helpful, found the perfect bag, its one that opens out like a book and has a detachable bag on it too, perfect as a carry on bag for the plane.

hi sorry do you mind me asking how much this set you back? thanks!!

lstars wrote: »
    hi sorry do you mind me asking how much this set you back? thanks!!

Sorry for the delay, i havent got it yet, but it was a round 90 to 100 euro, will be getting it soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 lstars

Sorry for the delay, i havent got it yet, but it was a round 90 to 100 euro, will be getting it soon.

not to worry!! thanks a mill!

Advertisement