Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unusual Motor Insurance Question

Options
  • 17-02-2011 12:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I have searched motor insurance threads here in vain and am hoping someone out there can answer this.

An elderly relative has offered me her car free gratis. She has driven very little for the last few years and is now stopping completely for health reasons. I've driven the car regularly to keep it ticking over and its recently been NCTed. Although its 20 years old it is immaculate and a pure pleasure to drive . Its the original Lexus LS400.

In this country tax and insurance on a car like this is just criminal and it might not be practical to run this as a family car very long term. Anyhow she now tells me that she has taxed and insured it for the next year and it is ours to take away. Too good to be true !

She has always had a fully comp open policy though I am not sure what open means exactly. She believes she has done us a favour by insuring the car but I would have thought that regardless I will have to insure this car myself. Her insurance cannot transfer to me in the way the Motor Tax can. Or can it ?

If not I presume she would be entitled to a substantial refund on her premium if she disposes of the car. Otherwise the car is being insured twice for the same period by two different people.

Any thoughts? :confused:

Comments

Advertisement