Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows Internet Explorer Updates

• 17-02-2011 1:08am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭

Hi,I have very basic knowledge of computers,but every time i go to turn off the PC i have updates which can take at least 5 minutes before the computer shuts down.
    How do i go about disableing this if possible?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭MASTER...of the bra

Im guessing it's a new computer and it's the first few times you have turned it on?? This will happen for the first 3 or 4 shutdowns if that's the case.

Either way Don't turn updates off, they update flaws and security risks.

You can get the updates yourself by clicking on Start > All Programs > Windows update.

Windows updates are only released once a month or something like that, so it won't annoy you to often.

Ooh and if running off the mains when it starts installing the updates, don't plug out the machine, it could mess it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

No,Its has updates everytime,and i mean everytime i go to turn off the computer,which can take anywhere between 3-15 mins.The computer is 4 years old.I mainly use it for the internet.I have mcafee security.It is seriously annoying.
    Can anyone help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

Run windows update and watch it. It could be that some updates are not installing and are left outstanding. They will then attempt to install every time you switch off and fail every time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,309 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

By not having your updates and mcafee up to date youre introducing the likelihood that your computer can get infected with viruses. Viruses which potentially can steal your information: such as bank account and email passwords.

You do not want to stop Internet Explorer from updating. Though for additional security I wouldn't use Internet Explorer (though I'd keep it up to date) Instead use a 3rd party browser like Firefox or Chrome.

Advertisement