Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Suzuki

• 17-02-2011 1:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I'm looking at getting a bike (first one) long time car driver. Have had the learner permit before December, so looks like no IBT for me but still have started to take lessons.
    Looking at suzuki GN bike as I like that style and am average height but thinking of getting a 250 so can do the A test, havent seen any on offer, but found suzuki TUX on offer, I thought it was a 250 but seems only 125. First wondering why suzuki have a TUX 125 and a GN 125 on offer both 125's from the same time?? is either or better? does either or have injection or carb?

What else should I be looking out for?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

Also, I dont really feel mileages are a reliable guide but I have seen bikes advertised with ridiculously low mileage ie 5-30k on the clocks, I'm assuming when I go to look at anything I will be able to tell if it has been a courier bike (ie its gone around the clock and back to 5k or 30k or whatever mileage)
    But are there any (seemingly) obvious things I should check for?

As far as I can tell there is no NCT type test for bikes? wondering what I might be looking at paying insurance too? any approximate ideas? nearly at mid thirties so.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭inchiuvatu

personally i would get a 250+, i started on a 125 and it was way to small size and power wise (i know when looking for a GN your not looking for performance but it's nice to know your bike will carry you up a hill without having to drop a few gears), and i had to rent a bike to get my full A licence which wasn't a big pain but it's nice to do the test on a bike your familiar with.

At 30ish, insurance on a restricted 400-600 wont hurt you that much.
    and if you prefer comfort then more Cruiser bikes fit under the power/weight ratio so they done need to be restricted at all.

if your heart is set on the GN's then renting the bike for your test isn't hard and the pretests are a most before your test anyway.

if you have any mates into bikes make sure to bring them along... i got lucky with the bike i bought was in rag order and wouldn't start and no with a good bit of elbow grease she's running well and looks great. if your mechanically minded then you could buy a dog of a bike and with some time and learning you can have her running sweet...

check chain a sproket (rub the grease off the chain if it's manky black to look for rust, and sproket for broken or badly worn teeth)
    make sure the bike is actually cold before the seller starts it up for you.
    if the bike has been sitting up for any more than a year you will probably need new tyres so be prepared to spend €200+ (based on the cost of my tyres yours might be cheaper) even if they look like they have lots of thread depth left if there rock hard they wont provide grip.
    then you just need to be very observant of dents and crack.. look hard at the frame and make sure there isnt any bends and all around the neck stock incase it was run into something head on.
    if your buying something from online you could post the ad here, or on somewhere like www.biker.ie and you will get good expert opinion on what to look at out for for that specific model.

if the bike you look at is pretty dirty then you can guess the owner wasn't very conscious of it's care so be prepared to but in some time and money into servicing the bike or getting it serviced by a bike shop.

Thanks for the reply, I'd thought there would be more than one reply but there is a lot of information in there to compensate so cheers
    My heart isn't absolutely set on a GN125, some seem to really dislike that bike and others seem to love it, I just like the look and style (I may be accused of getting this wrong but a more triumph - ish look) of a bike not covered in fairings and maybe the riding position, maybe after I get a bike I might change my opinions.
    I'd hoped to see a GN 250 for offer but none I can find, I am more aiming for a 250 anyway than a 125 so I'd hoped for some opinions on the 125 TUX which I'd thought was a 250, but again not many available.
    There is one other bike type out there I like that might be in my price range,
    looks like I have to set up an account on biker.ie

I'm mechanically minded and have a maintenance background but not as familiar with bikes so, bit concerned I might get caught out as I've been told that bike are very likely to have the clocks tampered with.
    I dont mind getting a bike that needs some attention but dont want to get lumbered with something that wont go or needs too much work.

i know it's a bit bigger then your looking at, but if you look at the type of bike i have the cb400 super four, hasn't changed much over the years so any picture of one you get the idea of the bike, has a fairly neutral seating position and no annoying fairings..

im no mechanic but i like giving things a go and im now (with the help of a biker friend/guru) im able to clean carbs do a general service oil/filters/plugs. and can trouble shoot alot of the issues and now she's running perfectly just needs the seat recovered.

the older the bike the easier it is to keep running because they are just starter motor/airbox/carb/engine/fuel tank and it is really easy to learn your way around the tubes that go from one to the other, and especially on a 125/250 because they are mostly 1 cylinder.

Your right not to trust the milage on bikes, mines says 28k, but the clocks were changed at some stage and the odometer doesn't work so they have probably said 28k for the last 30-40k but dont be put off by an older bike with alot of miles most bike engines run and run, it's the other parts that go and on a GN because alot of couriers use them there should be loads of cheap ones, and lots of cheap parts.

I think your best bet might be to ask on biker specifically about what issue the gn had and stuff to look out for, you may take a little slack of the lads on there but 9/10 you get informative responses.

if your around D5 or go to look at a bike near D5 i'd be happy to take a look and i could try bring along my Biker guru also.

I appreciate the offer, I'm only starting to look at bikes, I'm on the southside but some of the bikes are down the country. I'll see how I go, if I come across one around D5 though:)
    I like the look of the CB400, their starting price is for more than the bike prices I'm looking, I'm going for as budget as I can :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 290 ✭✭Antiquo

Merch wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I'm looking at getting a bike (first one) long time car driver. Looking at suzuki GN bike as I like that style and am average height but thinking of getting a 250

Merch good stuff another biker in the making. This is my third attempt at posting to this thread I compiled a list earlier and the boards.ie server ate it :pac: when I went to post then a few minutes ago it ate the start of another one :mad:
    Anyway few links below that I pulled out that may help you and if I get time tomorrow I'll compile that mech check list (in Word first ;)) and post it.
    Also, I dont really feel mileages are a reliable guide but I have seen bikes advertised with ridiculously low mileage ie 5-30k on the clocks, I'm assuming when I go to look at anything I will be able to tell if it has been a courier bike (ie its gone around the clock and back to 5k or 30k or whatever mileage)
    But are there any (seemingly) obvious things I should check for?

Mileage on bikes is not the same as cars usually a lot less say 3k a year but alaways take with a pinch of salt. Overall bike condition is more important and will tell you how it has been treated.

Links

Buying Used Info 1
    Buying Used Info 2
    Buying Used Info 3
    MCN Video Pt 1 (very MCN biased in this part but some good info and pt 2 better)
    MCN Video Pt 2
    Found this Guy while searching not really any info but worth a look :)

My main suggestion at this stage is research the bike(s) you are interested in. Do they have any common faults to look out for, get familiar with the overall bike, what is the average market value. If you are anything but mech illiterate you will soon pick up the things to look for but if you keep looking at different models you can get bewildered. Ideally get someone who really knows about bikes and ask them to check over any prospective bikes before buying. I'd go for a 250 at least as you will soon outgrow the performance of a 125 and realise the benefits of a little more power.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

Hi all, I'm looking at getting a bike (first one) long time car driver. Have had the learner permit before December, so looks like no IBT for me but still have started to take lessons.
    Looking at suzuki GN bike as I like that style and am average height but thinking of getting a 250 so can do the A test, havent seen any on offer, but found suzuki TUX on offer, I thought it was a 250 but seems only 125. First wondering why suzuki have a TUX 125 and a GN 125 on offer both 125's from the same time?? is either or better? does either or have injection or carb?

What else should I be looking out for?

A few pointers off the top of my head:

- go for the most powerful bike you can get within the licencing restrictions. I rented a GN125 once when my bike got nicked and found I wasn't able to out-accelerate cars. Out-accelerating cars is a key tool in armory of a defensive rider. And a pretty basic essential once you get past the beginners period. A GN250 probably isn't all that more powerful than a 125 tbh. If doubting your ability to restrain your throttle hand to match your embryonic abilities onn a more powerful bike then bike riding probably isn't to be recommended.

- avoid custom bikes. They have a low centre of gravity and are easy to get your feet down from but those benefits are fleeting - like stablisers on a bicycle. Road-bikes (Bandits/Fazers/Hornets etc) are a better balanced tool all-round. Multicylinder engines also tend to be a bit more responsive.

- bear in mind your budget needs to extend to decent gear from tip to toe. Better secondhand good quality and waterproof than brand spanking and soon to be leakey. There's nothing more rewarding than pulling into work after a refreshing rain ride which see's you dry as a bone. And nothing more miserable than the feeling of water trickling into your crotch 5 minutes after you've started off from home for the day.

- you're probably part-motivated to get into biking due to it's advantage as a commuting tool. Commuting around the city is probably the most dangerous form of motorcycling there is - hazards abound at every turn. Consider a few lessons targetted specifically at identifying the hazards you'll face on the way in/home so that you can get off to a good start.

- bikes tend to weather worse than cars so low mileage is to be prized. Try to view them in daylight where damage/leaks will be more in evidence. The more bikes you view the more you'll get to filter out the bad looking bargains. If you don't know what to look for do get someone who knows bikes to check out promising contenders. Bikes are a bit more straightforward than cars but serious problems can lurk unseen. I'm an ex-bike mechanic in south Dublin - if you see anything in this locality I don't mind dropping by to give a likely candidate the once over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Delighted the trusty bandit was mentioned. Simply the best bike ever made definitely going to get a bandit 12 whenever I get me license back. Sickened the knackers robbed mine. Boo them.

Virago, marauder, intruder etc are grand yokes aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

- go for the most powerful bike you can get within the licencing restrictions. I rented a GN125 once when my bike got nicked and found I wasn't able to out-accelerate cars. Out-accelerating cars is a key tool in armory of a defensive rider.
    My 125 (honda city fly) will out-accelerate pretty much any cage, have it three years so I can guarantee that. Beats the father's 1150rt off the line too. Seems a bit quicker than the rebel 250 I used for a few months last year.

Other than that little point it seems like good advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

AgileMyth wrote: »
    My 125 (honda city fly) will out-accelerate pretty much any cage, have it three years so I can guarantee that. Beats the father's 1150rt off the line too. Seems a bit quicker than the rebel 250 I used for a few months last year.

Other than that little point it seems like good advice.
    does your father know how to put the bike in gear?

Seriously though. 125's are grand yokes. Had my marauder for 3 years and got great use outta it.
    I know where your coming from though. Someone mentions getting a 125 and the restricted bigger talk starts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Yeah, but its a heavy lump of a yoke. The 125 is a way quicker up to 30/40 km, after that its hammered fairly easily. Thats the acceleration thats important for city riding though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

Is it only for City commuting if so a 125cc will be enough - I have a Suzuki AN125 great bike you can get new for around €2k- as others say you will out accelerate any cage unless you get some boy racer who decides to race and nearly knock you down.

seanybiker wrote: »
    Seriously though. 125's are grand yokes. Had my marauder for 3 years and got great use outta it.
    I know where your coming from though. Someone mentions getting a 125 and the restricted bigger talk starts.

What do you mean? I was thinking of getting a 125 for cheapness sake, but it seems a lot of people suggest a person might outgrow the 125 limitations soon and end up getting a bigger bike, I was possibly thinking of going for 250 to offset that possibility and not have to spend twice for a bike then a replacement, that what you meant?
    AgileMyth wrote: »
    Yeah, but its a heavy lump of a yoke. The 125 is a way quicker up to 30/40 km, after that its hammered fairly easily. Thats the acceleration thats important for city riding though.

Are many/any bikes 2 stroke anymore? smaller engined ones?
    Luckycharm wrote: »
    Is it only for City commuting if so a 125cc will be enough - I have a Suzuki AN125 great bike you can get new for around €2k- as others say you will out accelerate any cage unless you get some boy racer who decides to race and nearly knock you down.

For me the plan is for commuting, but not just city, I'm still in two minds as whether to go for 125 or 250 though, but I'd like to have enough in reserve for a longish trip.

EDIT: thanks for all the replies, always liked the look of the bandit/hornet and now the cb400 :) I still think I will be on a 125 or 250 for a while mostly as the bikes are so much cheaper and that suits me now, if I end up on a 125 I will rent a 250 for the A test, but will see as I'd prefer 250.
    I have already looked at one bike now, running well but could do with a bit of TLC and cheap enough, I thought anyway. Plan to look at about 3/4 bikes and make a decision.

Good luck with the purchase! i made the mistake of buying the first bike i went to look at, the bike was grand but i always felt i could have gotten better.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

My first bike was a CB400, great bike.

KamiKazi wrote: »
    My first bike was a CB400, great bike.

Are they legal (insurable) for a learner permitted rider?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Are they legal (insurable) for a learner permitted rider?

Yes, they can be restricted.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭jarmstrong001

wondering what I might be looking at paying insurance too? any approximate ideas? nearly at mid thirties so.
    I am in similar position and was quoted by all 4 insurance companies and the cheapest was €370 TPO
    Fire and Theft added about another €150 on to all the quotes and had at least €200 excess so doesn't seem worthwhile for a bike unless it costs well over 2k

I am in similar position and was quoted by all 4 insurance companies and the cheapest was €370 TPO
    Fire and Theft added about another €150 on to all the quotes and had at least €200 excess so doesn't seem worthwhile for a bike unless it costs well over 2k

Can I ask who that's with and on what size engine?
    I am going to start getting phone numbers for the insurance companies that do bike ins, think carole nash, Aon? quinn?? do they even exist anymore? and not sure who the other one is

This is on 400cc
    best quote was carole nash.
    the other company is adelaide
    I got all my information from...
    http://www.biker.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=38799

and irishbikerforum.com has great info too

Good luck with the bike!

• Advertisement

I tried to register on biker.ie, but says
    Sorry, registration has been disabled by the administrator.

I'll try the other one

Sent PM with the relevant details. Definitely worth registering on both these sites whenever you are able. They are a good supplement to the excellent info on here

I think I know why biker.ie is blocked for registration, mentions it in bikerforum

Bloody hell! 766 for insurance for a 125? I know I've no experience but talk about robbery

Bloody hell! 766 for insurance for a 125? I know I've no experience but talk about robbery

that seems a bit steep, im in Dublin5
    for me on the cbr125 Third parts fire and theft
    Quinn 695
    Aon wanted 1100 (TPO)
    adelaide wouldn't touch me,
    carol nash was asking for stupid money 1700 or something stupid.

then on the super four with full licence fully comp with pillion
    Quinn 850-870 not exactly sure what i paid.
    aon were 1300+
    adelaide still wouldn't touch me
    carol nash was still asking for stupid money 2800+ because they didn't recognise restrictions.

Thats with quinn, actually did it again online and it came out at 705.96 but AON are 500, I have to ring them and talk on the phone.

Advertisement