Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ear guard for BJJ

• 17-02-2011 1:50am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭

Guys, after getting my ears drained of a fairly substantial amount of blood for the first time today, less than 6 weeks after starting to train BJJ and Muay Thai, I think I'm gonna have to get an ear guard of some sort.

I wore one rolling tonight and it felt alright to have on, and I was able to actually commit to stuff and stick positions out because my ears were protected.

Any recommendations?

The Tornado seems to have a good rep in wrestling circles at least...

http://www.cliffkeen.com/product/F5-Tornadotrade-Headgear,86,6.htm

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Tim_Murphy

I used to have a pair like that, they were decent enough as far as I remember. The drawback is that due to the plastic covers they can be a bit hard on your training partners.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

MaeveD on here had some. The one's you used last night are the same one's she stocks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Chris89

I have a brute one and i hate wearing it so much, i guess itll be the case for all headguards but i feel mad claustrophobic or something wearing them, its kind of like constantly listening to the sea in some shell you found on the beach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

did you ever play rugby hanley? scrum caps do the job but they are over kill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭MaeveD

These are the ones we have: http://brute.com/product.asp?item=2918

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

On subject of the whole ear swelling up with fluid thing, is this from general wear and tear or are some people just more susceptible to it?
    I've been training BJJ a good few months 3-4 times a week and I haven't had any problems thus far (touch wood). I was considering being precautious and getting one anyway but I'd be interested to hear some takes on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭bjj-fighter

Richy06 wrote: »
    On subject of the whole ear swelling up with fluid thing, is this from general wear and tear or are some people just more susceptible to it?
    I've been training BJJ a good few months 3-4 times a week and I haven't had any problems thus far (touch wood). I was considering being precautious and getting one anyway but I'd be interested to hear some takes on it.

I've been training 3-4 times a week for a good few years and have never gotten fluid on my ears, maybe it's down to the way people play, is it generally stockier people who are more susceptible? It's interesting alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

Richy06 wrote: »

Its a combination of both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

dunkamania wrote: »
    Its a combination of both.

+1.

I've still got damned cute ear's after years of both Judo and taping away at BJJ.

Worse I get is they become red/blue and a little tender, and then I've seen lads get cauliflower ears in a few months.

I don't bruise easy either, might be another factor?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭bjj-fighter

I don't bruise easy either, might be another factor?.

I bruise really easy cos I have Haemophelia so I don't think thats a factor

• Advertisement

I bruise really easy cos I have Haemophelia so I don't think thats a factor

OK, that confirms my second suggestion.... I'm just too damned good looking to get cauliflower ears :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

Thanks everyone, some interesting points definitely. With myself I just haven't gotten landed with someone who grinds the ears nor have I taken any whacks to them, so I guess I'm just lucky in a way.

The ones Maeve has are pretty good, I wear a pair of them. My ears are somewhat mangled these days anyways, ear guards only help so much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭Will Heffernan

Hanley wrote: »
    Guys, after getting my ears drained of a fairly substantial amount of blood for the first time today, less than 6 weeks after starting to train BJJ and Muay Thai, I think I'm gonna have to get an ear guard of some sort.

I wore one rolling tonight and it felt alright to have on, and I was able to actually commit to stuff and stick positions out because my ears were protected.

Any recommendations?

The Tornado seems to have a good rep in wrestling circles at least...

http://www.cliffkeen.com/product/F5-Tornadotrade-Headgear,86,6.htm
    Post up your pic so they can see how much blood I drained out of each of your jug handles?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Post up your pic so they can see how much blood I drained out of each of your jug handles?

Can't get at it on my work computer, but stick it up there if you want.

185778_10150099099601359_682771358_6526595_6186836_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Niall0

Ive had to get my cauliflower ear drained the last three mornings now, when i get up in the morning it seems to be filled up again, how do you stop it refilling once you get it drained?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Chris89

you have to apply constant pressure to the area, which is pretty difficult given the shape of the ear.

i hope you didnt pay a doctor for the 3 times!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Niall0

Chris89 wrote: »
    you have to apply constant pressure to the area, which is pretty difficult given the shape of the ear.

i hope you didnt pay a doctor for the 3 times!
    ya its awkward enough to keep pressure on it, its in the middle of the ear aswell so its even more awkward especially at night when asleep.

I don't want to say you're fvcked but inside the ear is very hard to keep pressure on to prevent filling. Just keep draining and applying immediate pressure with your hand and then let it harden.

You're lucky apparently the new thing is to go around rubbing your ears to get them so you look hard. Idiots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Gorey_R

How do they continue to just rub them until the cauliflower?
    It hurts really bad like. I can't imagine anyone going through that pain just to disfigure themselves.
    My ears hurt so much sometimes that wearing glasses is uncomfortable. The last thing i'd be doing is rubbing them!

You're lucky apparently the new thing is to go around rubbing your ears to get them so you look hard. Idiots.

Seriously?..

Damn thats just fucked up.

You're lucky apparently the new thing is to go around rubbing your ears to get them so you look hard.

I had to use a plyers to get my right ear to the condition it's now in. Well worth it though, I look well 'ard. :cool:

I don't want to say you're fvcked but inside the ear is very hard to keep pressure on to prevent filling.

But you'll happily tell me I'm f*cked??! Sound! :D

Gorey_R wrote: »
    How do they continue to just rub them until the cauliflower?
    It hurts really bad like. I can't imagine anyone going through that pain just to disfigure themselves.
    My ears hurt so much sometimes that wearing glasses is uncomfortable. The last thing i'd be doing is rubbing them!

Yeah apparently it's common enough in the states. You also start to speak in a slightly more Brazilian accent mah fren, and once your grammar is at the level of a 4 year old's again you're all set.

There's a few of them over here too :)... allegedly... I be frens wit sum a dem homeboys on facebook.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Yeah apparently it's common enough in the states. You also start to speak in a slightly more Brazilian accent mah fren, and once your grammar is at the level of a 4 year old's again you're all set.

There's a few of them over here too :)... allegedly... I be frens wit sum a dem homeboys on facebook.

Do you mean when a comma slowly phases out a full stop ,,,, ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

Yeah my mate from checnya(if thats how you spell it) said its seen as a badge of honour to wrestlers over there so guys do it on purpose.
    Im not sure whether its a case of some people being more likely to get it than others. I think you can just get unlucky once and youre pretty nuch with it for life.
    I have a certain pink haired wrecking machine to thank for mine.
    154663_451612164997_679934997_5409721_1018109_n.jpg

Advertisement