Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ironman - Sub 10 Mentored Thread

Options
  • 17-02-2011 5:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭

Hi Everybody,
    For anybody who has been following the ‘useful discussion’ thread you may have picked up on the fact that a sub 10 iron man thread would be started soon.
    Well I’m the lucky guy upon whom the honour has fallen.
    Not being a very regular poster on boards, I am aware a lot of you will have no idea who I am. Let me introduce myself as Alan Kenny. ‘What qualifies me to mentor such a thread?, you may be wondering. I just want to make it clear from the outset that I have no coaching experience and I in no way consider myself an expert on triathlon, or indeed any other kind of, training. The training I do myself is more conventional than scientific and it is my hope that other people may come along to help me out with a lot of questions you may have.
    One thing I can tell you though, is that I broke 10 hours in the one, and so far only, ironman race I have done to date. This was Challenge Copenhagen last August, my splits of which are thus;
    Swim: 01.07.48 T1: 00.05.03 Bike: 05.21.35 T2: 00.03.18 Run: 03.10.15 Total: 09.47.58
    I trained for a sub 10 hour race, I was confident I could do it and I’d be even more confident I’ll do it again the next time I race. Whether this makes my advice worth listening to, only you can tell.
    My idea for this thread is similar to the sub 3 Dublin Marathon thread that Ecoli mentored. It is in effect the log that never was. I didn’t actually keep a log of the sessions I did, but the basic structure of a typical training week never changed. The difference, between the sessions I post and the actual sessions I did, will be as small as to make no difference.
    Not having trained by heart rate or power output, the terms I use will not, I think, be too technical. Use/adapt/ignore them as you see fit. If anybody can shed a different more scientific light on these sessions, by all means feel free to contribute.
    While the title of the thread is ‘Ironman - Sub 10 Mentored Thread’, and the training weeks I post are specifically for people whose target time is sub 10, I hope people with slower times in mind will still follow and take part in the thread. There’s more than one way to skin a cat and I am not saying following these sessions to the letter is the perfect way to train for an ironman. The only claim I am making is it’s what worked for me, and cognisant of all disclaimers, it might go some way to helping you.
    One final thing, don’t think I am dismissive of science or detailed analysis of your training. Nor am I saying it is not for me, I am in fact certain it must be for everyone. I read Tunney’s posts with great interest and this is something I intend to educate myself on in the future, and have no doubt it will lead to smarter and more effective training when I do. Back when I began training for Copenhagen though it was not something I was up to speed on, and I didn’t think it would have produced any benefit concerning myself with things I didn’t know enough about. If you are knowledgeable on such matters, don’t waste this knowledge, instead use it to your advantage.
    Unlike Ecoli’s thread which specifically targeted the DCM, where a huge proportion of marathon runners would have been taking part, targeting a particular ironman race is not really practical. Therefore what I propose to do is, post the first week of the 16 week training plan I followed for Copenhagen and you can pretend this is targeting an imaginary ironman race taking place on Sunday 12th June 2011.
    For people who wish to follow the thread, a table serving as a checklist will be added after the first week of the plan has been completed. Here you can log how many weeks out from your race you are, and some other stats that will be easier explained once you see the table. As previously stated you don’t have to be aiming for sub 10 to complete this weekly checklist. Even if sub 17 is your target, please feel free to take part.
    Anyway that’s all from me for the moment and I’ll be back with more updates shortly.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Fair play Alan, I look forward to seeing what you guys do out of interest! Are you going to do an Ironman again this year yourself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Thanks Alan for doing this i will be watching this thread closely. I will be really interested in the bike sessions in your plan as i am currently aiming towards a sub 12 in the UKIM but if i can make huge improvements on the bike in the next few months i could get closer to 11. As a matter of interest what was your best marathon time outside of IM to be able to hit 3.10 off the bike?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

Great idea for a log - since its probably the only one of its kind where the outcome and results along the way are predetermined since it all happened last season.

Id guess you'll include any race results etc that you participated in along the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭griffin100

Well done Alan for putting yourself out there as a sub 10 mentor, it takes some guts to do that. I'll be following with interest. I have no chance of ever going sub 10 but I am training with a sub 11hr in mind for this year so the log will be really useful to me. Well done on Copenhagen btw, its nice to see that you dont need to go sub 1hr in the swim to get a great time:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Looking forward to this log.

Alan, will you be giving any info on what level you were at before the 16 weeks leading up to the IM and what sort of training you did in the few months prior to the 16 weeks before the IM? Also, what sort of maintenace did you do on your IM journey - stretch, massage, foam roll, core, etc?

Congrats on going sub 10. Great result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Not doing an IM myself but looking forward to this thread. Fair play Alan.

griffin100 wrote: »
    nice to see that you dont need to go sub 1hr in the swim to get a great time:)

Not 100% certain but pretty sure many Irish results that were sub 9.30 included swims that were over the hour mark. I know Paul Doherty from Limerick went 53 mins for his phenomenal 9.08.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

catweazle wrote: »
    Fair play Alan, I look forward to seeing what you guys do out of interest! Are you going to do an Ironman again this year yourself?

Thanks. Not sure I should be referred to as belonging to 'you guys', whoever they may be.:) I don't consider myself to have any incredible talent. If you check back through my results in Olympic and sprint distance tris, you will find that they are decidedly ordinary.
    No ironman planned for this year or indeed anytime soon. I'm out of the country at the moment and won't be back permanently until circa September 2012. And f*** knows what sort of shape I'll be in then.

Thanks Alan for doing this i will be watching this thread closely. I will be really interested in the bike sessions in your plan as i am currently aiming towards a sub 12 in the UKIM but if i can make huge improvements on the bike in the next few months i could get closer to 11. As a matter of interest what was your best marathon time outside of IM to be able to hit 3.10 off the bike?

Aim high and best of luck with the training, I know it's a cliché, but there's no secret to it really. I'll post further details of my sessions soon enough. Just to let you know, if I was to start again I'd include more bike sessions, but as this is the plan that worked it's what I'm going to run with.
    My marathon PB is 2.51, but think my best performance was 2.53 in Connemara.

interested wrote: »
    Great idea for a log - since its probably the only one of its kind where the outcome and results along the way are predetermined since it all happened last season.

Id guess you'll include any race results etc that you participated in along the way.

I will if people think they're relevant, I don't see that they are. Was only happy with one other race that I did, but if it reinforces the point that it was solely about the ironman and nothing else mattered much, then they're relevant I guess.
    Leave it with me, I don't have them at the tip of my tongue.

• Advertisement

pgibbo wrote: »
    Looking forward to this log.

Alan, will you be giving any info on what level you were at before the 16 weeks leading up to the IM and what sort of training you did in the few months prior to the 16 weeks before the IM? Also, what sort of maintenace did you do on your IM journey - stretch, massage, foam roll, core, etc?

Congrats on going sub 10. Great result.

I'm not being coy, but intend to address your first set of question soon enough.
    In terms of maintenance the only answer I can give you is that I did a 30 minutes weights session + 15 minute core session twice a week. Stretched as a regular part of my training sessions, but never spent a session entirely devoted to yoga or what not. I haven't seen a foam roller in a few years and it's longer again since I used one. The only massage I had was after a HIM race in May and only then because it was going for free. I can think of better ways of spending my money.

zico10 wrote: »
    I can think of better ways of spending my money.

dos cervezas, por favor :cool:

you cutting back? :D

you cutting back? :D

Im not sure what 'the ones with no-alcohol' is in Spanish ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭gilleek2

He's not called "the machine" for nothing folks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

my splits of which are thus;
    Swim: 01.07.48 T1: 00.05.03 Bike: 05.21.35 T2: 00.03.18 Run: 03.10.15 Total: 09.47.58

Text stuff long distance triathlon pacing.

Challenge Copenhagen not Connemara was your best marathon performance

Looking forward to this thread

Say that in Thai and I'd be impressed.

Here’s the structure of my training plan. It consisted of three hard weeks followed by a recovery week, this was repeated four times. The basic structure of the hard weeks never changed and consisted of the sessions you see in the table below. I did my best to do each training session whenever it fell. This was not always possible and I sometimes had to swap sessions around. Don’t worry too much if you sometimes find yourself doing the same. I think the key to it is making sure you complete each type of session and train the planned number of hours over the week.

Day|am|pm
    Monday|30 mins weights + 15 mins core|cycle intervals
    Tuesday|1 hour swim session|long run
    Wednesday|run intervals|cycle tempo
    Thursday|run tempo/fartlek|1 hour swim session/30 mins weights + 15 mins core
    Friday|REST DAY
    Saturday|long swim|long cycle
    Sunday|brick

Some points to note about these sessions:
    a) long bike I did on time, my long run also on time and finally the long swim on distance
    b) my long cycle consisted of 5 stages; 30 mins warm up, 30 mins maximum effort, whatever time in between was done at a slightly lower intensity than maximum effort (no way would I have been able to hold a conversation), 30 mins maximum effort, finally 30 mins cool down. So a three hour cycle would be 30 mins warm up, 30 mins max effort, 1 hour slightly less than max effort, 30 mins cool down
    c) my long runs were all done at a pace quicker than 4.30/km. Wearing a Garmin I'd get splits for every 5km and I'd pick up the pace to faster than 4.15/km for the final split. So a 22.5km run would be run as such 20km @ <4.30/km 2.5km @&lt;4.15km. Hope this makes sense. I had my own theory behind this, which I think was proved right.
    d) long swims was just a case of getting in the pool and swimming that day's distance. Is there any other way? When the weather got warmer I did these in the open water.
    e) The plan began doing around 15 hours a week, rising to 26 hours at its peek. (These are fairly crude figures)
    f) All my run training was done using pace as a guide. I had targets of >4.30,<4.30, <4.15 <4.00 <3.50. Depending on the session I'd be looking to hit these speeds, without paying any regard to my HR.
    g) Long bike I've already explained, Monday's cycle was a coached club session and the effort required varied by the week. I'll post details as and when the training weeks themselves are posted. Wednesday evening I was on my own and perceived effort was what guided me.

I don't know if this seems like a lot of training to you, but as far as I'm concerned it's what is required to go sub 10. Is there a risk of overtraining and burnout following this plan, sure there is if you jump straight into it, without having built up a decent base. I had been competing in triathlon for 4 years when I took to the start line in Copenhagen, I'd often spent 18 hours a week training in the years prior to this and I didn't find it too daunting an increase. I managed to get through it all without picking up any injuries or illnesses of any sort and I don't think this was luck. My body was ready for the increased training load, I increased it gradually and probably most important of all I had factored in recovery weeks. If you haven't already done so I suggest you take a look at this thread before beginning your ironman training plan;
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056179370
    In the weeks and months prior to commencing this plan, I just trained as I normally would have done in any other year I wasn't doing an ironman race.
    Over the winter period I spent a lot of time working on my pedalling efficiency. I'd go for 100km cycles without going into the big chainring, this was an awful pain at times, but I've no doubt it helped my cadence.
    My brain's not functioning properly anymore and I need to go to bed. I'll have another look at this tomorrow and see is there anything I'm forgetting.
    Any questions, ask away.

Say that in Thai and I'd be impressed.

ขอเบียร์หนึ่ง/สองแก้วครับ/ค่ะ (kor beer nueng/song keaw krap/ka) - sponsored by Wikitravel.

re: long swim for Ironman
    Ive mentioned this before but its up to each individual - especially those targeting a sub 10 finish - that imho the swim is the least important discipline in a race like this. For many the psychological goal of swimming continuously the distance in a pool or otherwise prior to the day itself definitely can help with confidence. Personally I wouldnt recommend doing that regularly - although a set of 38 * 100 on IM pace + 5' or similar could serve as the bones of a long weekly session. Swimming regularly in open water or similar environment to race location if possible will also help when it comes to comfort in wetsuit, sighting etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Nice one Alan and nice timing with it too :) Fair play. Jeez you had some tasty results in the bag before going sub 10. 2:53 in Conn :eek: A 4:45 in Kenmare and a 4th place finish in the Sperrin HIM! I agree with Abhainn too that was really savage pacing in your IM to run a 3:10 off the bike. Really enjoyed your race report too, thanks.

Clearly you had the work put in and the previous years stood to you.

I have a couple of questions.

The plan above: Is this IM specific phase training? So, finish your base phase first then hit this right?

The long bike: Max effort for 30 mins?! Is that eyeballs out TT effort or IM pace effort? How much hillwork did you do?

Sub 4:30 pace LSRs: 4:30 pace for 20km then 4:15 for 2.5km is a nice approach, with a 2:51 marathon behind you though I'm sure this was comfortable. How much confidence did those marathon results give you? From seeing you at our own duathlons you are a cracking runner anyway. When did you do those Marathons in terms of the IM programme. Did you do any road races in the IM phase?
    I don't know if this seems like a lot of training to you, but as far as I'm concerned it's what is required to go sub 10. Is there a risk of overtraining and burnout following this plan, sure there is if you jump straight into it, without having built up a decent base. I had been competing in triathlon for 4 years when I took to the start line in Copenhagen, I'd often spent 18 hours a week training in the years prior to this and I didn't find it too daunting an increase. .

It does! However as you said if that what it takes to go sub10 then so be it. I've reached that volume just recently but its taking some adaptation. I'm in tri 2 years and last year was an avg 10-11hr week with anything over 13hrs being a rarity. Max week over my first 2 years was 16hrs and that included the W200 :o As a result I've taken a longer than usual base. 5 blocks of 4 weeks with the 4th week being a recovery week. I'm currently at the end of block 4. So IM phase kicks off for me around Mid March. When I initially laid out the planned progression of hours to the 18-20hr volume weeks I found it very very daunting but its less so now. It involves some serious life balancing and sometimes the training has to take a back seat.

You mentioned your hours ranged from 15-26hrs at peak. Again was this specific IM phase? What was the build pattern, and recovery week volume?

Last question: What were you key benchmark sessions and what was your longest bike, brick, long run, swim?

Sorry one more question: Weight training. Did you continue this throughout the programme and what do you feel the benefit of it was?

Thanks a mill :)

• Advertisement

Hi Alan,
    I think MCOS covered most of the questions but I have 2 that I can think of:

1. What was your stretching routine like and how often did you do it?
    2. For the gym and core, what sort of routine did you do? I'm assuming deadlift, squats, cleans, etc but I know a lot of people take different approaches. Some people do strength sessions in the base phase and then switch to metcon sessions as they progress through the phases. just wondering what worked for you? Cheers.

Oh ya, one other question - where's your IM race report? :)

Cheers.

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

The race report should be the last post in this log, a culmination of all the training coming together on the one day - although we know there is a happy ending already - I love happy endings :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Zico, just read the race report there and am interested to hear what way you fuelled your long training rides 3.5 - 5 hours? Similar to your race day plan or would you ride some of them leaner?

The plan above: Is this IM specific phase training? So, finish your base phase first then hit this right?
    Ye that's right, sorry thought I had clarified that somewhere.

The long bike: Max effort for 30 mins?! Is that eyeballs out TT effort or IM pace effort? How much hillwork did you do?
    Eyeballs out and eyeballs out again for the second last 30 minute section. The goal was to be able to hold the same pace for the two efforts. I don't think there's any point just going out for a long cycle without any intensity behind. You're just teaching yourself to cycle slowly.
    I did a lot of hill work in the base phase. These long cycle were all, bar one, done on a 20km stretch of the N11. (I hate that road now) Some climbs now and again, but nothing drastic. I stayed in the big ring all the way. I'd do hill repeats perhaps every second week, short sharp climbs more for strength training than anything else I guess.

Sub 4:30 pace LSRs: 4:30 pace for 20km then 4:15 for 2.5km is a nice approach, with a 2:51 marathon behind you though I'm sure this was comfortable. How much confidence did those marathon results give you? From seeing you at our own duathlons you are a cracking runner anyway. When did you do those Marathons in terms of the IM programme. Did you do any road races in the IM phase?
    I'd no problem hitting these targets, in terms of my marathon race pace they're way off. When finished the 20km would probably have been ran at 4.22/kn and the 2.5km effort at 4.08/km. I drew huge confidence from my marathon times. I was in effect training for a 3.15 marathon, which on it's own would be very easy for me, so I was never worried about running my entire long runs at my PMP. (I don't know if this approach would work for a marathon itself, but something tells me it wouldn't)
    I'd ran three marathons prior to doing an ironman, Oct '08, Mar '09, Oct '09. I didn't do any road races, very rarely do. During the base phase I ran the Wicklow Way Trail in March, got lost along the route, myself and hills don't mix well. That was the only running race I did that year.

You mentioned your hours ranged from 15-26hrs at peak. Again was this specific IM phase? What was the build pattern, and recovery week volume?
    It was yes. I need to think it out how it was built up. Obviously the biggest increases came as the long bike, run swim got longer. Brick session also accounted for an increase of approx 2 hours over the programme. The volume also increased in my tempo cycles and another smaller increase in my tempo runs. To be honest I was just checking back through email communication I had with a fellow club member to come up with the numbers 15-26. I had it fully thought out then though, so I'll still stand over them.
    Recovery week was around 50% of the volume of a hard week. I dropped weights and tried to get things done in the mornings. Did more swims during recovery weeks than otherwise. I'd generally just do whatever training I felt like doing, they weren't as structured as the other weeks.

Last question: What were you key benchmark sessions and what was your longest bike, brick, long run, swim?
    My longest bike was a 190km TT effort, exact same set up as race day (bar the Camelbak on my back), Zipp wheels, aero helmet and all. This doubled up as my longest brick as well as I went for a 14km run straight after finishing. In terms of the regular, Sunday bricks the longest efforts were 3hr 30 mins cycle and 1hr 30 mins run.
    Longest run was 41.4km in 3 hours on the button, was very tempted to run an additional 800m, but the plan was a 3 hour run, bot a minute more, not a minute less.
    Longest swim was 4,000m in a pool, spent approx 50 mins in the open water.

Sorry one more question: Weight training. Did you continue this throughout the programme and what do you feel the benefit of it was?
    During base phase I split lower body and upper body over two days, followed by core at the end. During ironman phase I did all three two days a week. No real rationale behind this, it was just what a guy in the club who qualified for Kona advised. It turned out to be more aerobic exercise than anything else the weights were so light and I was rushing through them to finish on time. As I said earlier I dropped weights during my recovery weeks. I tried vary the exercise every session, while still working the same body part. The benefit it provides me is my muscles and body don't be as sore after races and I think I can hold form better because I am stronger.

Thanks a mill :)

Throwing this one into the pot for discussion. The long run with an IM marathon in mind.

I know a few of you including me are either using the Don Fink approach or a similar species of plan. One thing that is really noticeable on it is teh LSR is the day after the Long bike. I've been doing this up until now but with a long session you are invariably doing the LSR on tired legs. Is that the point?

I notice zico's plan has the LSR midweek and while still sandwiched between training days, I'd imagine your legs would be that bit fresher for it. Ok zico went sub10 but he was already a strong runner off the bike. Not just good at pacing bike splits, but a good runner!

Does the LSR on slightly more tired legs benefit the 'not quite sub3 standard runner' in terms of durability or does it have an adverse effect?

Interesting to get an ultra marathoner's view here too as they would use double long run weekends in the run up to an event. Surely the 18 miler on the sunday was that bit tougher than the 20 on the saturday?

Thoughts?

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Zico, just read the race report there and am interested to hear what way you fuelled your long training rides 3.5 - 5 hours? Similar to your race day plan or would you ride some of them leaner?

Tried to match carb intake and hydration the very same to what I intended to do on race day, for each long cycle and long run. That was 1g of carbohydrate for each kilo of boy weight. So being 75kg over a three hour ride that would equate to taking on board 225g of carbs, be it gels, bars or sports drink. I took carbs on board every 20 minutes.
    In short I never went out with less fuel than what I needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Notwitch

Looking forward to this.

A quick question re your swimming. I did the same half in May and have come across a few others who also did this half and then went on to an IM later in July/August.

In particular, I can see 4 of us who came in in the 31-33 range. 3 of us went on to swim between 1:18 and 1:25 for our IMs (all lake swims, the slowest time though was non wetsuit so forgivable). These are very different to your 1:07 for which you clearly didn't murder yourself either.

Any particular element you felt brought your swim on so much between May and your IM or did the rest of us just screw up!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Good man Alan for stepping forward and agreeing to do this thread. By the looks of things, there's huge interest in what you've got in store. Great to see some focus on the sharp end of Tri's, and I'm sure your thread will be massive benefit to anyone looking to improve.

Best of luck with it :)

• Advertisement

Hi Alan,
    I think MCOS covered most of the questions but I have 2 that I can think of:

1. What was your stretching routine like and how often did you do it?
    2. For the gym and core, what sort of routine did you do? I'm assuming deadlift, squats, cleans, etc but I know a lot of people take different approaches. Some people do strength sessions in the base phase and then switch to metcon sessions as they progress through the phases. just wondering what worked for you? Cheers.

Cheers.

P.

Sorry skipped answering this earlier on.
    1) I didn't have a routine for stretching and it might surprise you but as part of my warm ups I only did it for running intervals and running tempo runs, after a 10 minute warm up, then I'd follow this by 5-8 minutes of drills.

2) Sorry I know very little about weights, so what I tell you is far from expert advice. There was a range of exercises I used, and I tried to vary the sessions as much as possible, while still exercising the same body parts. I don't think it takes too much imagination to come up with a session. Often it was determined by whether a machine, or don't know what you call it (but the place people do bench presses and or squats), in the gym was free or not
    Unless I was really stuck for time and I'd be late for work, I'd exercise one leg a time.
    All exercises were done in 3 sets of 15 reps. For lower body I'd do four separate exercises and same for upper.
    The following is only for the sake of example only;

Chest press (with dumbbells); 3 x 15
    Shoulder press (with dumbbells); 3x 15
    Bicep curls; 3x 15
    Some sort of exercise for triceps (can't think of any proper terms); 3 x 15

Think superset is the term and this is the way I'd exercise, whereby I'd do a set of chest presses and move straight onto the shoulder press, without any recovery.
    Sorry I don't know what metcon sessions are, but the above is what I did for the 16 weeks of my specific ironman training, if that's what metcon means then I guess that's what I did.
    Many in ironman training don't bother with weights. I feel I need to, so by that logic any session with light weights and high reps has to be better than nothing. I feel weights are important, but not important enough to worry about what exact exercises you're doing. As long as you're not trying to bench press your own body weight, you should be alright.

Advertisement