Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ironman - Sub 10 Mentored Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

http://genxxl.com/bodybuilding/workout/metabolic-conditioning-metcon/

Some info on metcon above. When i was a regular gym user i would do at least one metcon session a week. Something like a 2 arm kettlebell/chin ups/deadlift in sets of 16/14/12/10/8/6/4 or to failure with little rest in between. Really is a great workout, good fat burner and builds endurance. Cannot recommend these sessions highly enough.

Interesting you had 2 strength/gym sessions a week most people i have spoken to suggest any more than 1 is overkill.
    BTW great read so far

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

Notwitch wrote: »
    Looking forward to this.

A quick question re your swimming. I did the same half in May and have come across a few others who also did this half and then went on to an IM later in July/August.

In particular, I can see 4 of us who came in in the 31-33 range. 3 of us went on to swim between 1:18 and 1:25 for our IMs (all lake swims, the slowest time though was non wetsuit so forgivable). These are very different to your 1:07 for which you clearly didn't murder yourself either.

Any particular element you felt brought your swim on so much between May and your IM or did the rest of us just screw up!!

I'd say I'm just that damn good to be honest. Ah no only joking, I don't know what it was to be honest I was surprised myself by the time. Maybe it's due to the excellent open water swim coach we have in 3D.
    The swim was in a lagoon, with no waves, so it was very easy sight. I was the in the third wave so there were plenty of people to follow. It was easy see who was going in the right direction and who wasn't. I'd say my poor sighting skills cost me a minute or two in every 1,500m swim I do. This wasn't really an issue in Copenhagen. Plus I tried my best to get on people's feet, luckily I chose the right ones. I wouldn't say there was one particular element that brought me on, a whole lot of little things really.
    Can't speak for whether the rest of ye screwed up I'm afraid. Maybe ye did.:D
    What races did ye all do?

I can't find the results from Sperrin online. Do you have them saved? And if so does what you've saved make sense? I remember at the time them not making any sense at all.

I’m not going to have Internet access until Monday, so I’ll post the first week in my training plan today instead of Sunday.
    Just a few notes on my sessions that I’ll say now and can hold true until it’s up in its entirety.
    I have said before my training wasn’t scientific and the PE (perceived effort) scale I use here for my cycles, is something I am applying just to make it easier to understand. It ranges from 1-10, 1 being the least possible effort imaginable and 10 max effort. The Monday night cycles you see are coached club cycles, which the cycling coach from my club has kindly given me permission to reproduce here. They make sense in my head, but if there’s anything you want to ask about them, then fire ahead.
    Adjust the pace target for the run as you see fit, these are just the ones I used. Sometimes these Wednesday morning sessions will be hill repeats and I will revert to using the terms hard and easy. I could have applied similar targets to the tempo runs I did on Thursday mornings, as I did for the intervals, but I’ll leave it to you to judge what’s hard and what’s easy.
    The swimming sessions on Tuesday mornings and Thursday evenings are taken from a plan drawn up by Interested and he’d probably be better able to explain things than me. I'll just leave it to yourselves to fill the sessions as you see fit. Alternatively search for Interested'd swim sets which are somewhere on this site.
    My weights training was just a randomly thrown together session. I have given some details of it in a previous post, if you care to read back to thread. I picked up the exercises by reading stuff, talking to people, looking at people, using my imagination, etc. The basic structure never changed and after the first week, I’ll simply write ‘weights + core’ in the plan.
    Warm-ups for each session where not stated is just taken as a given.

Day|AM|PM
    Monday|weights; 20 mins lower body, 10 mins upper body, 15 mins core; Total 45 mins|Cycle - Intervals 12 Sets of 200m, 500m and 1.5km, various intensities
    Tuesday|Swim; objective: skills ~ 2300 metres|Long Run - 90 mins 15km @ <4.30km, remainder @ <4.15/km
    Wednesday|Run Intervals - 1km x 10 @ < 3.45/km|Cycle 20 mins warm-up, 20 mins @ PE of 9, 10 mins @ PE of 6, 20 mins @ PE of 9, 20 mins cool down
    Thursday|Run - main set = 2 mins easy, 1 min hard, 2 mins easy, 2 mins hard, 2 mins easy, 3 mins hard, 2 mins easy, 4 mins hard, 2 mins easy, 3 mins hard, 2 mins easy, 2 mins hard, 2 mins easy, 1 min hard, cool down|weights + core/Swim;objective skills / with some pace work - 2500 - 3000 metres
    Friday|REST DAY
    Saturday|Long Swim 2,000m|Long Cycle - 30 mins warm up, 30 mins PE 10, 30 mins PE 8, 30 mins PE 10, 30 mins cool down Total 2½ hours
    Sunday|Brick - 2 hours cycle at PE 8, 45 min run @ <4.30/km

Feel free to share your opinions on the training itself. I'm a big believer in the more opinions you have the better. I'm not promising I'll agree with you, but I'll be willing to listen to you.

If the layout of the week's training could be clearer or easier understood then please let me know.

Sorry I was in a rush getting this up and realise that Monday evening's bike session is not very clear. It should be 4 reps of each distance for a total of 12 intervals.The intensity for 200s is to attain max speed and hold till 200m, the 500s will be just under this be aim is to try for same pace in each at highest maintainable pace. The 1.5s then at a pace you could hold for 10k.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

zico10 wrote: »

Day|AM|PM
    Monday|weights; 20 mins lower body, 10 mins upper body, 15 mins core; Total 45 mins|Cycle - Intervals 12 Sets of 200m, 500m and 1.5km, various intensities
    Tuesday|Swim; objective: skills ~ 2300 metres|Long Run - 90 mins 15km @ <4.30km, remainder @ <4.15/km
    Wednesday|Run Intervals - 1km x 10 @ < 3.45/km|Cycle 20 mins warm-up, 20 mins @ PE of 9, 10 mins @ PE of 6, 20 mins @ PE of 9, 20 mins cool down
    Thursday|Run - main set = 2 mins easy, 1 min hard, 2 mins easy, 2 mins hard, 2 mins easy, 3 mins hard, 2 mins easy, 4 mins hard, 2 mins easy, 3 mins hard, 2 mins easy, 2 mins hard, 2 mins easy, 1 min hard, cool down|weights + core/Swim;objective skills / with some pace work - 2500 - 3000 metres
    Friday|REST DAY
    Saturday|Long Swim 2,000m|Long Cycle - 30 mins warm up, 30 mins PE 10, 30 mins PE 8, 30 mins PE 10, 30 mins cool down Total 2½ hours
    Sunday|Brick - 2 hours cycle at PE 8, 45 min run @ <4.30/km

Interesting Alan. Max run length 1.5hrs, bike 2.5hrs, swim circa 1hr? Albeit all of these contain some intensity of some type. If you spend you base phase builing the swim bike run up to 4km/5hrs/2.5hrs respectively, did you just drop back to the volume you have above for first week of IM training :confused:

I'm 1 block from IM training. Do you think 12 weeks + 4 week taper is sufficient?

I'll pencil some of these sessions into my IM phase for sure. The 2*20min I'll be doing on the turbo for the next 3 weeks at 90-95%FTP. I tried your long run format this morning (I'll comment seperately). Swims are mainly club session/masters type stuff so they are good. I do an extra longer set alone during the week. Thinking of dropping a swim for yoga/row or yoga/strength in the IM phase.

3 sessions stand out. The 10*1km intervals. Thats tough particlaurly with the threshold bike reps later that day. Did you do 10 reps off the bat and sustain this workout or build up to 10 reps? What rest bewteen reps?

The pyramid run looks good too. The 2.5hour bike format looks tough too and an 80%RPE 2hrs on the saddle the next day :eek:

Its actually a lot more intensity than I would have though was necessary but then you have a 9.47 to back it up so You got my attention.

As I mentioned I have one more base block to go, ie 3 weeks on 1 week off. Then I'm into the type of stuff you prescribed above. Do you think I should plug away at base intensity or start introducing bits of the above in progressively? I plan to do the 2*20 bike anyway and I do enough intensity at swimming already. Perhaps I could start with the 1km reps and start with 4, then 6, then 8 so that I will hit the first weel of IM phase with 10 reps in mind?

I'm interested to see your recovery week approach too but all in its own good time :)

Definitely food for though now...

Hi all,

I've created a weekly checklist here for anyone doing the IM distance. It can be a brief picture of where people are at, especially if you are too lazy to keep an actual log :p. Even if your IM is 6 weeks after that of someone else you can see how everyone is progressing and where you might need to be in 6 weeks if you have a similar goal (assuming that person is going well :)) It can be a place for zico10 and other experienced heads to comment on the brief summary of your week and how you rated yourself out of 10 for it. Hey even if I'm the only one using it and getting lectures from the sensei (along with the odd poking from tunney) then so be it but I know there a quite a few sub12 and sub14s lurking around this thread. If the idea bombs it bombs.. at least I tried :o

IM mentored weekly checklist, week end 20 feb 2011

name|wks to IM|hrs done|long swim set|long bike|long run|satisfaction/10|comments
    shotgunmcos|20|11hrs57|4km inc 3.8kTT|2hrs45, 81km no run|1hr40, 22km|9/10 :)|recovery week, swapped a swim out for yoga and ran a lot less. Feel good

Twas a dacent week for me in that I took it easy for the most part. I also skipped a couple of runs to lounge with the OH and those decisions were welcomed! Toughest session of the week was the zico10 LSR format. 20k at 4:30 pace and 2.5k at 4:15 pace. More detail in my log shortly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Throwing this one into the pot for discussion. The long run with an IM marathon in mind.

I know a few of you including me are either using the Don Fink approach or a similar species of plan. One thing that is really noticeable on it is teh LSR is the day after the Long bike. I've been doing this up until now but with a long session you are invariably doing the LSR on tired legs. Is that the point?

I notice zico's plan has the LSR midweek and while still sandwiched between training days, I'd imagine your legs would be that bit fresher for it. Ok zico went sub10 but he was already a strong runner off the bike. Not just good at pacing bike splits, but a good runner!

Does the LSR on slightly more tired legs benefit the 'not quite sub3 standard runner' in terms of durability or does it have an adverse effect?

Interesting to get an ultra marathoner's view here too as they would use double long run weekends in the run up to an event. Surely the 18 miler on the sunday was that bit tougher than the 20 on the saturday?

Thoughts?

This popped in to my head at the weekend, on what I class as a long run - not a long run for most.

I was wondering if doing a long run after a long bike week on week is such a good thing if you're new to going long and long distance in general. Would your form on the run not suffer due to the effects of the long ride? If so, then the bad form and heavy legs could lead to injuries or strains. Also, what's the recovery like from doing them back to back?

I did 4 hours on the bike on Saturday and then ran for over an hour on Sunday. I did notice that my HR spiked a lot quicker, on a familiar route, than normal. I can see the benefits of doing it but I'm sure there must be a risk/reward to it too.

I guess this is something that may need to be tailored dependending on ones background.

A little off topic but relevant I think. 2 questions for anyone that cares to give there 2c worth:

1. What volumes / weekly hours would someone have to be comfortable with when starting their 16 week lead up to an IM to go sub 10?
    2. What sort of results would an athlete want to have been getting in OLY & OR HIM the previous season to go sub 10?

I know there are other factors to take in to account but keeping it simple for now. :)

P.

Interesting Alan. Max run length 1.5hrs, bike 2.5hrs, swim circa 1hr? Albeit all of these contain some intensity of some type. If you spend you base phase builing the swim bike run up to 4km/5hrs/2.5hrs respectively, did you just drop back to the volume you have above for first week of IM training :confused:
    Just used these as a starting point in my ironman training. I'd no problem doing these times and more during my base building phase. You'll see some of the weekly swim sessions are longer than the long swim, I just tried to hit my planned pace in the Saturday morning swims. Introduced intensity into all three disciplines, so I guess you could say the same for bike and run as well.
    I'm 1 block from IM training. Do you think 12 weeks + 4 week taper is sufficient?
    Ye I'd say that's plenty. I'm sure you're aware of this, but make sure the taper is planned out. My taper was only three weeks. I tapered the run from this point, the bike from two weeks out and the swim from one. Volume reduction was along the lines of 75%, 50%, 25% week on week.
    I'll pencil some of these sessions into my IM phase for sure. The 2*20min I'll be doing on the turbo for the next 3 weeks at 90-95%FTP. I tried your long run format this morning (I'll comment seperately). Swims are mainly club session/masters type stuff so they are good. I do an extra longer set alone during the week. Thinking of dropping a swim for yoga/row or yoga/strength in the IM phase.
    Never used turbo during these 16 weeks, but see no reason why this session couldn't be transferred. You'll have to figure out power output, etc. yourself though.
    My own swim training was hardly textbook, one of them was a club session where I'm sure I made the biggest improvements. I'm sure what you're doing is fine and dare I say it, swimming isn't all that important in an ironman.
    3 sessions stand out. The 10*1km intervals. Thats tough particlaurly with the threshold bike reps later that day. Did you do 10 reps off the bat and sustain this workout or build up to 10 reps? What rest bewteen reps?
    I was doing intervals with club all throughout the winter. I was at this level to begin with. I've ran a half marathon at the same pace I was doing these intervals at, so something would have been wrong if I couldn't manage them. Rest between intervals was a slow jog for about 150m, never timed it.
    As I mentioned I have one more base block to go, ie 3 weeks on 1 week off. Then I'm into the type of stuff you prescribed above. Do you think I should plug away at base intensity or start introducing bits of the above in progressively? I plan to do the 2*20 bike anyway and I do enough intensity at swimming already. Perhaps I could start with the 1km reps and start with 4, then 6, then 8 so that I will hit the first weel of IM phase with 10 reps in mind?
    I'm going to have to answer your question with a question I'm afraid. Are you running intervals as it is? It worked for me as I was covering close enough to this distance in the base phase.
    I'm interested to see your recovery week approach too but all in its own good time :)
    Patience is a virtue.

I'm going to have to answer your question with a question I'm afraid. Are you running intervals as it is? It worked for me as I was covering close enough to this distance in the base phase.

Nope. Thats why I was asking if it would be better to introduce them in the last few weeks of base. Ive spent the winter building themileage and working on cadence. So are you suggesting the 1km intervals to be at half marathon pace? I've a recent HM done so that would be a benchmark for me. Thanks

pgibbo wrote: »
    A little off topic but relevant I think. 2 questions for anyone that cares to give there 2c worth:

1. What volumes / weekly hours would someone have to be comfortable with when starting their 16 week lead up to an IM to go sub 10?
    2. What sort of results would an athlete want to have been getting in OLY & OR HIM the previous season to go sub 10?

I know there are other factors to take in to account but keeping it simple for now. :)

P.

1) I was probably used to doing 18-20 hour weeks, I didn't find the prospect of facing into 26 hour training weeks particularly daunting. I think at a bare minimum you'd have to be used to doing 16 hour weeks on a consistent basis.

2) I wouldn't get too hung up on this. I personally didn't draw any comfort from any Olympic races I did. Any half irons I had done were only okay. It's impossible to say with any certainty, the ironman is a different ball game.

• Advertisement

It worked for me as I was covering close enough to this distance in the base phase.

Should have said 'I was covering close enough to this distance in the interval sessions of my base phase', in case there is any confusion.
    Nope. Thats why I was asking if it would be better to introduce them in the last few weeks of base. Ive spent the winter building themileage and working on cadence. So are you suggesting the 1km intervals to be at half marathon pace? I've a recent HM done so that would be a benchmark for me. Thanks

I'd introduce them if I were you. Is that mileage and cadence on the bike or run? Hadn't actually thought of HM pace as a good guide for pace to be running 1k intervals at, but I guess it'd work well. As the weeks go on the intervals will increase and I allowed myself run a slightly slower pace. You'll see a pattern emerging anyway and you'll suss from your own training what you're capable of. The key is not to be so jaded you find Thursday's run a chore.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭griffin100

I can't find the results from Sperrin online. Do you have them saved? And if so does what you've saved make sense? I remember at the time them not making any sense at all.

attached.

they make no sense to me at all. All I know is that we had the same swim time;)

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Notwitch

For me it worked out as:

1. Unhide col E
    2. Swim was your swim time
    3. Col E was your bike time
    4. Run time was col G minus Swim minutes

Taking Zico I reckoned then

Swim 0:33
    Bike 2:42
    Run 1:25
    Total: 4:40

Thanks, just for the comparison's sake, could you do the same for the top three please.

For me it worked out as:

1. Unhide col E
    2. Swim was your swim time
    3. Col E was your bike time
    4. Run time was col G minus Swim minutes

So that logic makes the avg swim time circa 32 mins :eek: and Liam Dolan posted a sluggish 42 mins for a half marathon :rolleyes:

So a pack of uber swimmers swimmers took part and only a WR half marathon could break em up :D Weird results format I have to say...

I'd introduce them if I were you. Is that mileage and cadence on the bike or run? Hadn't actually thought of HM pace as a good guide for pace to be running 1k intervals at, but I guess it'd work well. As the weeks go on the intervals will increase and I allowed myself run a slightly slower pace. You'll see a pattern emerging anyway and you'll suss from your own training what you're capable of. The key is not to be so jaded you find Thursday's run a chore.

Cadence and mileage on the run. Before the programme I averaged 30-35km weekly running and my run cadence was about 75-78. Now the running is about 60km weekly and cadence is up to 88-90. 4:05/km is my recent HM pace, so I'll look to do the km reps at around 4mins

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Notwitch

yeah, it was a short swim alright!

you'll notice i prefaced my comments with "for me" - LCDs run was 1.17. Chip timing simplifies everything!

2nd Week in my 16 week training for Copenhagen. Enjoy!
    Any questions, comments, advice, etc. feel free to post.

Day|AM|PM
    Monday|Weights + core; Total 45 mins|Cycle - (Hill Repeats Hard 600m 85/90 rpm)x12, Recover downhill
    Tuesday|Swim - objective: skills ~ 2300 metres|Long Run - 1 hour 40 mins, 20km @ <4.30km, remainder @ <4.15/km
    Wednesday|Run Intervals - 2km x 5 @ < 3.55/km|Cycle 20 mins warm-up, 15 mins @ PE of 9, 8 mins @ PE of 6, 15 mins @ PE of 9, 8 mins @ PE of 6, 15 mins @ PE of 9, 20 mins cool down
    Thursday|Run - Warm up,main set = 2 mins easy, 2 min hard, 2 mins easy, 3 mins hard, 2 mins easy, 4 mins hard, 2 mins easy, 4 mins hard, 2 mins easy, 3 mins hard, 2 mins easy, 2 mins hard, cool down|Weights + Core, Swim - objective skills / with some pace work - 2500 - 3000 metres
    Friday|REST DAY
    Saturday|long swim 2,200m|Long Cycle - 30 mins warm up, 30 mins PE 10, 45 mins PE 8, 30 mins PE 10, 30 mins cool down, Total 2¾ hours
    Sunday|Brick - 2 hours 15 mins cycle at PE 8, 50 min run @ <4.30/km

Day|AM|PM
    Monday|Weights + core; Total 45 mins|Cycle - Interval Set 2km x 10 @ 20km pace
    Tuesday|Swim - objective: skills ~ 2300 metres|Long Run - 1 hour 50 mins 20km @ <4.30km, remainder @ <4.15/km
    Wednesday|Run Intervals - 3km x 3 @ < 4.00/km|Cycle 20 mins warm-up, 20 mins @ PE of 9, 10 mins @ PE of 6, 20 mins @ PE of 9, 10 mins @ PE of 6, 20 mins @ PE of 9, 20 mins cool down
    Thursday|Fartlek Run - 10 minutes warm up, 30 minutes fartlek run, 10 minutes cool down|Weights + Core swim Swim - objective skills / with some pace work - 2500 - 3000 metres
    Friday|REST DAY
    Saturday|Long Swim - 2,400m|Long Cycle - 30 mins warm up, 30 mins PE 10, 1 hour mins PE 8, 30 mins PE 10, 30 mins cool down Total 3 hours
    Sunday|Brick - 2 hours 30 mins cycle at PE 8, 55 min run @ <4.30/km

Hey Zico10, your 16weeks to Copenhagen, is that including the taper?

You have 3 weeks posted now, is the next one a recovery week?

I start IM training in 12 days but I've decided on a 4 cycle 2up 1 down vs a 3 cycle 3 up 1 down approach.

• Advertisement

Hey Zico10, your 16weeks to Copenhagen, is that including the taper?

You have 3 weeks posted now, is the next one a recovery week?

I start IM training in 12 days but I've decided on a 4 cycle 2up 1 down vs a 3 cycle 3 up 1 down approach.

Sorry for delay in getting back to you, I've spent the last three days touring Bolivia and only reached La Paz and with it WIFI today.

The answer to your first question is yes, the 16 weeks does include the taper. The final week would be how I'd have done things in an ideal world, but between flying to Copenhagen, getting my bearings in the city, registering and attending race briefing, it's not exactly how things worked out. Everybody will have the same problems and when it comes to this stage a few missed sessions aren't going to have too detrimental an affect on race day performance.

The answer to your second question is also yes, this is how my training was structured. I've heard of 4 hard weeks followed by a recovery week, but I found my way worked well for me. I'd be tired coming towards the end of these three week blocks and don't think I'd have gained much by following things up with a fourth hard week. Unlike the hard weeks, my recovery weeks weren't really that structured to be honest. I'll post a sample week up, but really for me it was a case of reducing volume by approx 50% and doing a lot of what I felt like.

Sorry for delay in getting back to you, I've spent the last three days touring Bolivia and only reached La Paz and with it WIFI today.

Nice! Sounds like a nice trip. :cool:

Out of curiosity, how many sessions did you miss in the 16 weeks? Did you manage to stay injury free on your IM journey?

If you missed a session, did you just forget it and move on or did you re-jig things if it was a key session?

pgibbo wrote: »
    Nice! Sounds like a nice trip. :cool:

Out of curiosity, how many sessions did you miss in the 16 weeks? Did you manage to stay injury free on your IM journey?

If you missed a session, did you just forget it and move on or did you re-jig things if it was a key session?

Of course life gets in the way and I missed some sessions. The real key sessions for me were the long bike and the long run and I always did these. I swapped around sessions if the need arose, but I still tried to get all the sessions done at some stage during the week.
    Out of all my runs, I only missed one Thursday morning session. (Out of all three running is my favourite) And I didn't so much miss it as just skip it. It came at the end of a three week block and on the Wednesday it was a real f**king struggle to hit my desired pace. I was risking burnout and there was just nothing to be gained by going ahead with the session. I had a lie in that morning and I didn't bother trying to make it up.
    As far as I can remember I did most of my cycles, I might have had to curtail some of them, but I did my damnedest to get out on the bike 4 times a week.
    I definitely didn't always get the three swims in every week and if I had to drop a session, it would be one of these.

Day|AM|PM
    Monday|1 hour swim - easy|Watch 'The Wire'
    Tuesday|50 minute run - easy pace|Watch 'The Wire'
    Wednesday|1 hour swim - easy|cycle - 10 minutes warm up, 10 minutes hard, 10 minutes easy, 10 minutes easy, 10 minutes hard, 10 minutes cool down
    Thursday|1 hour swim|Watch 'The Wire'
    Friday|Run - Intervals 6 x 1km|Get pissed
    Saturday|REST DAY|
    Sunday|brick 1 hour cycle PE 8.5, 20 mins run @ < 4.30/km

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Day|AM|PM
    Wednesday|1 hour swim - easy|cycle - 10 minutes warm up, 10 minutes hard, 10 minutes easy, 10 minutes easy, 10 minutes hard, 10 minutes cool down
    Saturday|REST DAY|

Fri pm is needed now and again

Just popping this up again in case any other IMers here want to keep tabs of where they are.

IM mentored weekly checklist, week end 13 March 2011
    name|wks to IM|hrs done|long swim set|long bike|long run|satisfaction/10|comments
    shotgunmcos|17|19hr59|20*200m set|4:48 140km no run|no long run done|7/10|swim was meh, a couple of good bricks, froze on long bike so no run off it. 10k Race

My last week of base volume. Wanted to hit 10hrs cycling but fell a little short. Easy week this week then into the IM phase. Time is flying by. I'm starting to get a bit nervous about it. Must look at Zico's weekly blocks now and mesh with my own DF/JF/Shotgun hybrid

How are the other IMers getting on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

IM mentored weekly checklist, week end 13 March 2011
    shotgunmcos|17|19hr59|20*200m set|4:48 140km no run|no long run done|7/10|swim was meh, a couple of good bricks, froze on long bike so no run off it. 10k Race
    Jackyback|20|16hr09|3.8km straight swim|5:15 148.8km no run|no long run done|8/10|Decent enough week given it was a week after Barca, 2 good bike sessions and a pleasing IM distance swim

20 weeks away plenty of time for further improvement. Really pleased with how the first 17 weeks of building up a decent base have gone.

Back to the hard stuff!

Day|AM|PM
    Monday|Weights + Core, Total 45 mins|Cycle - Max velocity sets to be done on a flat stretch of road approx 2.5km; Sets of 6 x 200m, 200m recovery in between. Max velocity sets is simply going as fast as you can for about 200m, forcing yourself to use good technique to attain max speed and holding it for a short time, seconds only. No changing gear, start on the gear you will need at top speed, so there is power used to get going. Once you finish 6th effort turn round and gentle cycle back to start of 2.5km stretch, to begin the next set.
    Tuesday|Swim - objective: skills ~ 2300 metres|Long Run - 1 hour 50 mins 20km @ <4.30km, remainder @ <4.15/km
    Wednesday|Run Intervals - 1km x 10 @ < 3.45/km|Cycle 20 mins warm-up, 30 mins @ PE of 9, 10 mins @ PE of 6, 30 mins @ PE of 9, 20 mins cool down
    Thursday|Run - Hill Reps 12 x 200m Look for steep enough hill, it took me about a minute to cover the 200m|Weights + Core, Swim - objective skills / with some pace work - 2500 - 3000 metres
    Friday|REST DAY
    Saturday|long swim 2,600m|Long Cycle - 30 mins warm up, 30 mins PE 10, 1 hour 15 mins PE 8, 30 mins PE 10, 30 mins cool down Total 3 hours 15 minutes
    Sunday|Brick - 2 hours 30 mins cycle at PE 8, 55 min run @ <4.30/km

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Day|AM|PM
    Saturday|REST DAY|

Missed this thread, but that's my kind of training week!!

• Advertisement

Day|AM|PM
    Monday|Weights + Core Total 45 mins|Cycle - 1km Hills x12 Seated/Standing (seated - higher gear, standing lower gear) done in Z3, still aerobic, still able to hold a conversation, a upper level 2 on a 1-5 scale
    Tuesday|Swim - objective: skills ~ 2300 metres|Long Run - 2 hours, 25km @ <4.30km, remainder @ <4.15/km
    Wednesday|Run Intervals - 2km x 5 @ < 3.55/km|Cycle 20 mins warm-up, 25 mins @ PE of 9, 8 mins @ PE of 6, 25 mins @ PE of 9, 8 mins PE of 6, 25 mins PE of 8, 20 mins cool down
    Thursday|Run - Hill Reps 8x300m|Weights + Core, Swim - objective skills / with some pace work - 2500 - 3000 metres
    Friday|REST DAY
    Saturday|long swim 2,900m|Long Cycle - 30 mins warm up, 30 mins PE 10, 1 hour 35 mins PE 8, 30 mins PE 10, 30 mins cool down Total 3 hours 35 minutes
    Sunday|Brick - 2 hours 45 mins cycle at PE 8, 60 min run @ <4.30/km

Advertisement