Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skills Assessment?

Options
  • 17-02-2011 7:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

Hi All,

My boyfriend is hoping to get sponsored as his work hol visa is up in afew mths. He works as a formwork carpenter and has done for ten years. The problem is he has no cert or qualification as such he just like with alot of people picked up his skills by getting stuck in on worksites.

In order to apply for sponsorship is he required to do a skills assessment test here in Australia, it's just the cost of one is coming in at around 2,500 dollars( very expensive in my opinion). If anyone has any info that can help it would be much appreciated.
    Thanks Jack

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭ArseBurger

jack128 wrote: »
    the cost of one is coming in at around 2,500 dollars( very expensive in my opinion).

If you think $2.5K is expensive you might want to look at another country. That's only the start of the fees they'll require.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

I think you are getting sponsorship and residency mixed up OP

which is it? Sponsorship wouldn't cost that much for a skills assessment (residency - maybe?)
    Who quoted this price - an agency or the skills body themselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

jack128 wrote: »
    Hi All,

My boyfriend is hoping to get sponsored as his work hol visa is up in afew mths. He works as a formwork carpenter and has done for ten years. The problem is he has no cert or qualification as such he just like with alot of people picked up his skills by getting stuck in on worksites.

In order to apply for sponsorship is he required to do a skills assessment test here in Australia, it's just the cost of one is coming in at around 2,500 dollars( very expensive in my opinion). If anyone has any info that can help it would be much appreciated.
    Thanks Jack

If he is going to apply for sponsorship has he an employer willing to sponsor through the sponsoring process?

If he is thinking of paying for a Practical + Interview for skilled migration then

Have a look at this

http://www.vetassess.com.au/assess_my_skills/national_skill_recognition.cfm

http://www.vetassess.com.au/assess_my_skills/ns_fees_payment.cfm

http://www.vetassess.com.au/migrate_to_australia/ts_fees_payment.cfm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 jack128

Yes it's sponsorship that he's hoping to get. He is working with a company at the moment and has been for the last 5 mths, his boss has never sponsored anyone before and has asked my boyfriend to look into what it entails.
    For some reason my boyfriend believes he needs to have his skills assessed due to the fact he has no qualifications as such. I don't know where he got that info from!!!

Advertisement