Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorists going through hell - parking at a church

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

My observations on this, myself and my missus walk by the Cathedral every evening on our daily walk. The parking while a bit OTT in places is not completely blocking the footpath or roadway for that matter from what I saw. We can easily walk past using the footpath and if we meet someone coming the other way its just a matter of stepping to one side for a second until they pass.

Just curious, what about wheelchair users, possibly coming in both directions.

Would they need divine intervention?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

Last year I was so sick of having to walk on the road last year due to cars parking on the footpaths that I plucked up the courage and approached two Gardaí working at the Novena. I said something along the lines of, "How is this allowed to happen year-in-year-out? People parking on the footpaths and endangering pedestrians just because they believe a certain religion. This is completely illegal."

Both Gardaí looked at each other and cracked a smile. Then one of them turned to me and said, "Sure, where else do you expect them to park?"

The law enforcers of Galway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

There was an article in the Sentinel about the novena - the headline was something along the lines of "Young and old flock to the novena"

The local rags pump out that exact same article every Novena for the past twenty years.

The parking is atrocious. I wouldn't mind as much if it was one day, but it's for two bloody weeks. We'll set the Rag Week first years on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Those mass goers are the real troublemakers around this time of year.
    It's not a coincidence that they have it the same time as RAG week, it's so they can blame all the trouble on the students and nobody is any wiser.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

I've always wondered what's so attractive about the Novena? I mean it's just mass 8 times a day for 9 days yeah? Tour buses bringing people to it like. It's only mass!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭celty

If those motorists didn't go to Church, then they wouldn't have to "go through hell".

There are two 'types' who think they are immune from parking regulations, Novena goers and GAA fans.

And the Gardai must be either at the Masses or watching the matches, or both.

Imagine if hundreds of young clubbers tried the same thing. Or Muslims. They'd hardly be left to park on the footpaths for hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Last year I was so sick of having to walk on the road last year due to cars parking on the footpaths that I plucked up the courage and approached two Gardaí working at the Novena. I said something along the lines of, "How is this allowed to happen year-in-year-out? People parking on the footpaths and endangering pedestrians just because they believe a certain religion. This is completely illegal."

Both Gardaí looked at each other and cracked a smile. Then one of them turned to me and said, "Sure, where else do you expect them to park?"

The law enforcers of Galway.

Classic. They're lazy, useless, irresponsible and do not give a toss. And they're at the same obnoxious parking themselves every day of the week.

celty wrote: »
    If those motorists didn't go to Church, then they wouldn't have to "go through hell".

There are two 'types' who think they are immune from parking regulations, Novena goers and GAA fans.

And the Gardai must be either at the Masses or watching the matches, or both.

Imagine if hundreds of young clubbers tried the same thing. Or Muslims. They'd hardly be left to park on the footpaths for hours.

Lots of people think they're immune. And in a way they are right, because they are let away with it constantly. AGS members illegally parking their private cars another category that's immune, from themselves and local authority wardens.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Drive through Spiddal when the Court is sitting & see Garda cars parked on the pavement outside a school !.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭celty

There was something in the City Tribune today about 60 of them getting tickets. Maybe the 'God Freaks' aren't immune from the rules the rest of us face after all. Guess it really is a 'solemn Novena' for them after all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Speaking of religous people blocking traffic...:p
    Did anyone see the (so called) 'Pro life' picket today outside the labour candidate's office on Prospect Hill. They were wielding banners like 'Labour supports abortion on demand'. They were standing HALF IN THE ROAD, a few of them with kids (who of course were frontline, thus 2 inches away from the cars)
    I witnessed one woman's sign get blown away a bit, in an effort to catch it, she nudged a kid in front of a passing (albeit not fast) car that had to hiton the brakes. Heard sirens, cop car came by and drove by then. Evidently them on the road, not path was legal (who knows, maybe they had a permit or something, but shoving kids in front of cars is not very 'pro life of them:rolleyes:).

What was funny was they appeared to have some dissenting group infiltrate, a few younger folks with what appeared to be a rainbow (gay pride?) flag. They were shouting things like 'bring back the laundries' and 'keep women in their place', while grinning. The others weren't too amused. It was pretty funny to watch I confess!:p

Discodog wrote: »
    Drive through Spiddal when the Court is sitting & see Garda cars parked on the pavement outside a school !.

Thanks for the tip-off. I will.

Any idea how I can find out dates of court sessions?

Some examples of AGS obnoxiously parking throughout this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Herself is just in the door, an hour late as her car was blocked in for an hour. She was pretty pissed off but the lad who had blocked her was extremely apologetic and embarrassed so she was at least grateful she didn't meet a holier than thou who was annoyed at being summoned from the pulpit!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

I would have called the cops and got the car lifted. Its called obstruction, these w*nkers need to learn about the effects of what their sinning does and repent through their wallets

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

I'm setting up a branch of The Last Church Of The Ineffable Beelzebub on Shop Street if anyone is stuck for parking on Saturdays.
    What a crock of. Thought we know from Pearse Stadium that the GAA is magically immune from this too.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭lmtduffy

inisboffin wrote: »
    Speaking of religous people blocking traffic...:p
    Did anyone see the (so called) 'Pro life' picket today outside the labour candidate's office on Prospect Hill. They were wielding banners like 'Labour supports abortion on demand'. They were standing HALF IN THE ROAD, a few of them with kids (who of course were frontline, thus 2 inches away from the cars)
    I witnessed one woman's sign get blown away a bit, in an effort to catch it, she nudged a kid in front of a passing (albeit not fast) car that had to hiton the brakes. Heard sirens, cop car came by and drove by then. Evidently them on the road, not path was legal (who knows, maybe they had a permit or something, but shoving kids in front of cars is not very 'pro life of them:rolleyes:).

What was funny was they appeared to have some dissenting group infiltrate, a few younger folks with what appeared to be a rainbow (gay pride?) flag. They were shouting things like 'bring back the laundries' and 'keep women in their place', while grinning. The others weren't too amused. It was pretty funny to watch I confess!:p

It was indeed infiltrated, the protesters arrived to find an empty office with a note : "gone to novena, back soon" left in the window.

Will link to pictures when they are up.

It was a lot of fun. But I think everyone felt bad that they brought their kids along, the weather was pretty bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Anyone see the city tribune's letters page today.
    It had a letter from an outraged holy joe.
    Apparently the Gardai are anti church as well as anti GAA. :pac:
    Yes the holy joe is also a GAA supporter previously outraged that his parking where he wanted during a match got a ticket and sure they always parked there, still sore over that and the responses his letter complaing about it got from a "vocal minority" it seems.

Apparently it's all an attack on the catholic church itself.
    He is sure no other religious denomination would be subjected to such discrimination.
    Yes it seems enforcing traffic laws is now discrimination.:rolleyes:

Hopefully he won't get clamped next week at the polling station when he abandons the car on the side of the road to vote for FF.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

sure I wrote that for the crack :cool:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I passed one of these coffin dodging goons this evening as he returned to his ticketed car on Nuns Island.

It was just past where you take the square right onto the Island.

He was parked on the left, on double yellows, on the path and obstructing an obvious gateway.

He was outraged and bemused.

PRAISE THE LORD!

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    I'm setting up a branch of The Last Church Of The Ineffable Beelzebub on Shop Street if anyone is stuck for parking on Saturdays.
    What a crock of. Thought we know from Pearse Stadium that the GAA is magically immune from this too.

You're on to something there. GAA-goers, godbotherers and Gardee traditionally exempt from respecting the law in this here Republic of Banana.

I recommend setting up your church and holding religious services as soon as possible. Then you can apply for one of these:

Godbotherers-exempted.jpg?t=1298115645

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

In fairness, earlier today I noticed a Garda approaching a motorist at the Cathedral who was about to abandon their contraption on the foothpath, had a brief discussion and the motorist got back in the car and drove off.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭loser2old4board

Robbo wrote: »
    I passed one of these coffin dodging goons this evening as he returned to his ticketed car on Nuns Island.
    Really!
    Could people please focus on the illegal parking
    rather than having a go at the church.
    (shooting fish in a barrel at this stage),
    or having a go at the age of the congregation.
    Newsflash: You are all going to get old.
    And no, I haven’t been attending or parking illegally
    at the Novena.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Really!
    Could people please focus on the illegal parking
    rather than having a go at the church.
    (shooting fish in a barrel at this stage),
    or having a go at the age of the congregation.
    Newsflash: You are all going to get old.
    And no, I haven’t been attending or parking illegally
    at the Novena.

[mod-edit]img2url[/mod-edit]

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Danger Will Robboson! *pew* *pew*

Keep it country folks.

Encourage carpooling and insurance policies that permit it.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭loser2old4board

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    [mod-edit]img2url[/mod-edit]

Where did you get my picture?:)

Advertisement