Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rejecting job offer

Options
  • 17-02-2011 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Does rejecting a job offer affect future applications to the company? Would you be black-listed and not be considered in the future?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Depends on why you're rejecting it. If I got the feeling that you only wanted a job offer in order to have some bargaining power with your current employer, then I probably wouldn't be in a rush to interview you again for another role.

Did you imply that you were dead keen and would want to work there during the interview? Were they just not offering what you wanted?

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭micdug

Short answer is probably yes - you weren't serious the first time why should we waste our time a second time. Remember, interviews take up a lot of mgmt time. They won't be impressed.

That said, if it's megacorp, or has high turnover, and HR keep sloppy records (the norm) you could probably get back in a years time.

The only obvious exception is if you were headhunted for the role.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Depends on the reason you give and if it is believable
    I turned down a job with a company giving the reason I was very interested in working for them but i felt the role was not senior enough for this point in my career.
    They subsequently contacted me 6 months later when a more senior position came up

• Registered Users Posts: 28,193 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I turned down a job with a company giving the reason I was very interested in working for them but i felt the role was not senior enough for this point in my career.
    They subsequently contacted me 6 months later when a more senior position came up

I done the same, got a call a week later for a way better job there that would have taken me years to work up to if I accepted the original offer.

Advertisement