Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilcullen to Newbridge/athgarvan Speed Camera Van

Options
  • 17-02-2011 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭

Just a heads up to anyone going from kilcullen towards athgarvan/newbridge.

On that long road at the back of kilcullen where a lot of people put the foot down, there is a speed camera van camped up about half way on the left. They will see you before you see them ;-)

So take it easy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

It's one of the new check points.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Gregsor

goodlad wrote: »
    Just a heads up to anyone going from kilcullen towards athgarvan/newbridge.

On that long road at the back of kilcullen where a lot of people put the foot down, there is a speed camera van camped up about half way on the left. They will see you before you see them ;-)

So take it easy.

Was it A Red van?

Seen one there last month just before the flyover bridge that brings you up to the Kilcullen side.

I got a ticket just passed the Athgarvan Inn heading towards Newbridge before christmas,the camera car was pulled in beside the crash repairs place.

I questioned it and was given GPS co-ordinates so traced it there myself.

It was catching people as you would accelerate from the narrow stretch out from Athgarvan.

I am all for them but at least make them visible.

Gregsor wrote: »

Does that not eliminate the point? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Gregsor

Does that not eliminate the point? :confused:

The time it happened was before the new safety camera campaign had started and it was placed imo deliberately to pick up revenue.

Not at a place where there had been a fatal incident and as i said it was catching cars accelerating away from the lower speed zone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

The time it happened was before the new safety camera campaign had started and it was placed imo deliberately to pick up revenue.

Not at a place where there had been a fatal incident and as i said it was catching cars accelerating away from the lower speed zone.

On the way home to Newbridge the afternoon of the 19th Feb, there was a speed trap van sitting on the side of the road between Tougher's roundabout and the turn off for Sallins.

It IS only a money making exercise, as where on that road is there a dangerous blackspot?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭dave45dave

Was it A Red van?

Seen one there last month just before the flyover bridge that brings you up to the Kilcullen side.

I got a ticket just passed the Athgarvan Inn heading towards Newbridge before christmas,the camera car was pulled in beside the crash repairs place.

It was catching people as you would accelerate from the narrow stretch out from Athgarvan.

I passed it last week , surely if its in kcc garage its private property.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Irish Fire

Le_Dieux wrote: »
    It IS only a money making exercise, as where on that road is there a dangerous blackspot?

Have to agree, on the Portlaoise to Abbeyleix road where it's been reduced to 60Kph because of the road works there has been one sitting there ALL WEEK!!!! Even yesterday I went by it at 10am and I came back that way at 4pm and it was still there, no one working on the road yesterday!!!! This may be a private company but they still have to generate revenue for paying for them!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

Le_Dieux wrote: »

No its not - every road where a camera van can be located is listed on the gard website. Each area has been picked due to number of accidents in the area and according to the AA, the facts are there to back it up.

On the Newbridge road after toughers, as you say, is the turn off for Sallins. - Cars exit from this road and have to cross into the middle of the carraigeway and then sit in the middle whilst they wait for the cars from Naas direction clear. - Theres also cars doing a U-Turn, cars from nass direction turning towards sallins, & cars / trucks coming straight across from the side road opposite.

Hence its not the safest spot on the road and there have been a few accidents over the years and as such a very valid place for one of the vans to be.

Was it A Red van?

there's been a regular Garda presence there just before Athgarvan for a couple of years now, which is why I never ever go over the 60k on that road. You always get some t*at driving up your hole on that road and then braking when they spot the van.

Also, the road at Newhall (Toughers) and the Kilcullen to Athgarvan/Newbridge road are on the Garda checkpoint list, so instead of moaning, just don't speed. Makes the most sense to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

While never enforcing speeding, I wonder why the Gardai bother putting up these camera spots.

Where Gregsor got caught, is NOT on the map...the red line is on the other side of Athgarvan to where the garage mentioned is.

Also, I have been travelling up and down the Newbridge to Naas road twice a day every day for the last 6 years, & while I cannot recall ever seeing a vehicle doing a u-turn at the aforementioned junction by 91011, I cannot recall ever seeing a crash there. So, to say it's an accident blackspot is wrong IMO. I never said it was a safe spot, I just don't think it is the most dangerous either.

• Advertisement
Advertisement