Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats the best TV Broadband Phone to go for?

• 17-02-2011 12:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Hi,

Im moving to Wales next month and was looking up BT, Virgin and a few others Talk Talk....there websites are quite confusing just wondering whats the best deal out there, Basically I want to be able to go online to chat to family and will need TV not to bothered about a phone but if it comes with the deal.

Was debating should I just go ahead and get an Iphone and be done with it but they are still quite expensive and not sure if it would be better to just get internet into the house.

All advise welcome.

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 934 ✭✭✭wildefalcon

look up three.co.uk - they've a good "one" plan - 5000 texts 2000 minutes unlimited (oh, yes, really unlimited) broadband for 25 a month, more if you get a phone.

Also look at this - some fantastic deals here - compared with rip off ireland.

http://www.broadbandchoices.co.uk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Look at moneysavingexpert for some excellent advice. Click on the "Phones, TV and broadband' tab.

Also try USwitch, confused.com

I get phone and Broadband from TalkTalk on the TAlk Talk International 3 package (not sure this is available anymore for new customers). I get FREE broadband, and Free calls anytime to 30 countries abroad including most of Europe, the US, Canada, India, and Australia. :) Of course I use Skype video calls via my laptop as it's nice for my parents and in-laws to actually see my daughter on-screen and for her to see them :)

That package costs £10 a month plus line rental and you pay for calls to mobiles and 0845 lines. My average monthly bill for phone and broadband combines is about £25-27 :)

I have Freeview TV so pay nothing for that. You can enter your postcode here to check availability of freeview channels in that area.

However, in the UK you can watch almost all of the freeview channels online for free using the website TVCatchup (free registration). That includes all BBC, ITV, Channel Four and Five channels (and the +1 versions), as well as Viva, Film4, Dave etc. So if you hook your laptop to your TV or have a large enough monitor then that's a good way of watching freeview if you can't receive it in your area.

Some suppliers offer phone, broadband and TV together, others a combination of these.

The UK has LOADS of options but thankfully loads of cool websites that help guide you through. Spend some time on the ones I've mentioned above. You have to register with some of them (for free) to be allowed to apply for the deals you find on them.

You could also try comparethemarket and gocompare as well as moneysupermarket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

I'm living in the UK and get my phoneline/broadband through talk talk. Never had a problem with them and they have a great service.

I'm paying £30 a month for their unlimited broadband package and international package so I can ring back to Dublin for free (landline of course).

Broadband is great. I connect at 10mbps so get 1000k/sec download speeds when maxed out. Really happy with it.

I'm the same with Talk Talk. A recent survey said that they have the worst customer service of all the providers but I've had to ring them twice due to loss of service and they were great, even sending progress updates by SMS. *shrug*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,730 ✭✭✭sudzs

Avoid BT Broadband! I've had 3 months of hell with slow speeds and constant dropping out, hours of calls to customer support who seem to have no log of the ongoing problem so have to go through the faultfinding crap every time I ring. :mad:

Sorry, rant over, just don't get BT!! ;)

I'm dumping them and actually looking for a broadband only deal at the mo. Anyone any tips? I'm thinking o2 as I'll get a cheap rate as I'm on their mobile network. Are they any good?

• Advertisement

I totally agree that BT support are a nightmare. I lodged a complaint against them after having called them, emailed them and written to them demanding my name be removed from their marketing database. The ;complaints manager' rang me to talk through my complaint and then tried to sell me a BT package!! :mad:

On another point, sudzs, have you updated your router firmware? Old firmware can be the cause of broadband dropping and slow speeds.

Don't know anything about O2, sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,730 ✭✭✭sudzs

On another point, sudzs, have you updated your router firmware? Old firmware can be the cause of broadband dropping and slow speeds.

What's router firmware??? :o

The latest from BT is that they think it could be a problem with the line itself so it's another day stuck in the house waiting for an engineer to ring to say he's on the way. Only the 4th time in 3 months in fairness....... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I might try O2. At least if you're not happy within 30 days you can get out of the contract.

Advertisement