Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Atheism the official stance of boards.ie on religion?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Daegerty

In fairness, it's more than just anti-religious bickering I'm against. I'd have the exact same attitude if religious keyboard warriors came amok in AH.

I don't care what you believe. If you're cool about it, I'm cool. If you're a red-hot narky whiner, then I'll roll my eyes and ridicule you.

Ridiculing serious folks is what makes AH special :)

me too, but it seems the anti-religious ones are nearly 100% the time the only ones making a nuisance of themselves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Daegerty wrote: »
    me too, but it seems the anti-religious ones are nearly 100% the time the only ones making a nuisance of themselves

OK. Give me a three links that are not already posted in this thread.

gbee wrote: »
    Shouldn't the Christian be in devotions fasting and giving up the Internet for 40 days? Not that I want an answer like or passages from the bibles, I won't read them.

I'd retract that if I were you.

It comes along the same lines as

"shouldn't the black folk be wearing tracksuits while listening to hip-hop from cars that bounce on their suspension?"

"shouldn't all the women be in the kitchen making dinners for their men?"

"shouldn't the towel-heads be shooting rifles in the air...."

etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 83,205 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

gbee wrote: »
    OK. Give me a three links that are not already posted in this thread.
    Having taken a look I won't say it's 100% of the time, but it's more than half by a good stretch:

Anti-Theism:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056203582&highlight=atheist+christian
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056138066&highlight=atheist+christian
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056127831&highlight=atheist+christian
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056074758&highlight=atheist+christian (actually I thought this was a fairly valid issue)
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056075694&highlight=atheist+christian
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056071224&highlight=atheist+christian
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056065103&highlight=atheist+christian
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055984342&highlight=atheist+christian
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055978232&highlight=atheist+christian

Anti-Atheism:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056056418&highlight=atheist+christian
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056066148&highlight=atheist+christian
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056126179&highlight=atheist+christian

Neutral:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056188653&highlight=atheist+christian

And that is far from exhaustive. Not sure that it proves anything, except that the site will entertain all theist and atheist views. The moderators and administrators don't decide how much of which variety of content is generated: the user-base does. The site itself is stance-neutral on the subject afaik.

I'd retract that if I were you.

It comes along the same lines as

"shouldn't the black folk be wearing tracksuits while listening to hip-hop from cars that bounce on their suspension?"

"shouldn't all the women be in the kitchen making dinners for their men?"

"shouldn't the towel-heads be shooting rifles in the air...."

etc etc

And you know something, I never looked into these threads ~ I think the titles are well advertised ~ it's like putting a 'not safe for work' notice on your picture of a bikini clad girl.

• Advertisement

Overheal wrote: »
    Having taken a look I won't say it's 100% of the time, but it's more than half by a good stretch:.

Two of those are a bit odd and in one the poster says he is drunk. Frankly I don't find too much wrong with the rest and the anti atheist ones, I've posted something in them.

I really think the current fuss is too much over a triviality. The exercise over the ash was revealing, I was going to make another post in that one myself after making observations first hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Jakkass wrote: »
    It is a philosophical position. Personally, I don't mind if philosophical positions are presented in AH in a reasonable manner. Even if I find a lot of the critiques of Christianity on AH absurd, and ill-informed let them at it as far as I see it.

There you are. Are you going to be good enough to back up or retract your accusations from here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=70778273&postcount=49
    or are you going to miraculously vanish into the ether once more.....?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Nodin wrote: »
    There you are. Are you going to be good enough to back up or retract your accusations from here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=70778273&postcount=49
    or are you going to miraculously vanish into the ether once more.....?

Of course I'm not going to retract it because I believe it to be the case. In a previous post I've already backed much of it up. I feel that often there is a bias towards atheism in the moderation of After Hours and in the moderation of the whole site bar the Christianity forum and the other Religion & Spirituality sections.

Of course I'm not going to retract it because I believe it to be the case. In a previous post I've already backed much of it up. ..................

Really? Because I checked to see if you'd addressed that before I posted, and I've checked again now, and see no sign of you doing so. Of course I could be just missing it, so if you could provide a link and/or a post no.?

Of course I'm not going to retract it because I believe it to be the case. In a previous post I've already backed much of it up. I feel that often there is a bias towards atheism in the moderation of After Hours and in the moderation of the whole site bar the Christianity forum and the other Religion & Spirituality sections.
    Personally I don't think it's that, I think it's simply down to the large number of users on the site who are Atheist and coming out of the closet about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

I feel that often there is a bias towards atheism in the moderation of After Hours and in the moderation of the whole site bar the Christianity forum and the other Religion & Spirituality sections.

Actually, you'll find that it's more of a lack of bias towards any particular religion. ;)

Seriously though, AH is a light-hearted place where people have a laugh about just about anything and religions can be quite funny to those who don't follow them. Even religious people find other people's beliefs funny. They're less inclined to mock since they know what it's like to believe in questionable ideas but most atheists don't have any belief in the supernatural and can come across a bit less sensitive. This gets up the noses of some of the religious and 30 pages later, people are getting angry.

I like the sticky idea because these threads often end up clogging the page and usually involve the same crowd bickering with each other and another crowd having a reasonable yet boring debate where the same points are made. Personally I find the A and A forum and the Christianity forum more interesting. Keeping the threads in one place might also discourage what we've been seeing lately and we can get back to the business of making derogatory comments about each other's mothers and Mary Harney.

Apologies if the post is a bit scattered. I kept getting interrupted and coming back to continue posting.

Actually, you'll find that it's more of a lack of bias towards any particular religion. ;)

No. I don't expect any moderator on any forum on boards.ie to give me special pleading due to my beliefs. If the subject does arise on the forum, I do expect it to be treated in a similar manner to other subjects however. There is a difference between light humour which sometimes I even appreciate and this post which was posted just today:
    i can't believe there is still people defending the bible. i genuinely feel sorry for christians. its almost a handicap. what person in there right mind, in the 21st century would believe in a "magic man".... get back to me, i'm waiting !

In respect to other demographics this almost certainly wouldn't be tolerated.

I'm not going to go bit by bit through this post. I'm not really all that "sensitive" towards it. I don't expect it to change and I'm happy to keep posting in light of it, but it is something that I acknowledge.

No. I don't expect any moderator on any forum on boards.ie to give me special pleading due to my beliefs. ...................

Isn't one of your beliefs to do with 'not bearing false witness'.....?

Agreed. I'm giving my honest opinion. I don't expect / desire any belief system on boards.ie to be given any form of special pleading, but I do hope that it would be moderated as in any other subject.

Agreed. ..............(snip).

Then with regard to what I linked earlier, either back up or retract, oul flower.

Previous position still stands and I've made clear concerns that I have. That's where it ends for me really.

Previous position still stands and I've made clear concerns that I have. That's where it ends for me really.

You aren't really being that much of ambassador for the faith in regard to that remark. Given that you seemed fairly straight up in our previous interactions, I have to say I'm suprised. C'est la guerre.

1) I don't consider myself an "ambassador" of anything.
    2) Much of my concern particularly in relation to what biko has said is here.
    3) In my previous posts I've listed things that are often said about Christians in AH that would not be acceptable in the case of any other demographic.
    4) I have also said that I am quite happy to let DeVore do what he wants, but I do have concerns.

I'm happy, I've said what I've wanted to say. If you feel that this shouldn't provoke such concern that's up to you.

Isn't one of your beliefs to do with 'not bearing false witness'.....?

You see, this kind of post, where someone uses a poster's faith as a stick to hit them with, really is not on. It's like hitting a pacifist and saying "You can't hit me back! that's against your beliefs!" when he swings at you.

I'm not saying you're wrong/right asking for an answer Nodin, but it's the bringing of his religion into it I object to.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

DeVore wrote: »
    Atheism is simply the unacceptance of faith in a higher being. i dont see it is possible to prosletyse it in the same way.

You certainly do get militant type atheists. 99% of them though don't give a toss, but there is a small vocal minority who feel it is their need to tell people they are wrong.
    twinQuins wrote: »
    If people wanted to debate Christianity from a Christian perspective, it would best be done within the Christianity forum. ...

That's great except it sort of leaves the other poster at a disadvantage.

Let me start by saying I am an Atheist. But amazingly enough I moderate the Islam forum.

While I fully understand where you are coming from, the religious forums intent are to be homes for people of those religions to discuss stuff.

Best way to put it as a story:

Lets say you think Picard was the best ever Star fleet captain that existed. Meanwhile there is a local meeting for "Kirk appreciation group". You show up at that group. Now you know Picard > Kirk, but you want to know how those guys tick.

So you ask some questions. You get answers which to you are clearly wrong, after all you know what ever answer you get back Picard wins out.

So you tell the guys they are wrong, some might get annoyed, some may get into a further debate with you but neither side going to move from their position.

After a while you find that doors to the meeting are locked and you are not allowed in. Most people think it is because they were incapable of understanding the awesomeness of that bald god. But the truth is you stop being interesting and more of a disturbance for the actual subject matter which is Kirk.

Of course when you are all at the Star Trek convention all bets are off.

This is what the Islam forum is like. For example you can't debate if Allah exists or not in the forum, because to the main people in the forum there is no other God but Allah. Doing this pisses them off, because you are arguing something that to them that can't change.

While I may ban someone for doing this in the Islam forum, I would be just as quick to defend them in another forum where the rules are different.

If we didn't have those rules then the forum would quickly degrade into "OMG women facemasks!", "Why does Muslim country do XXX in human rights?/support terrorism" or the whole Aisha debate which is done to death countless times.

• Advertisement

You see, this kind of post, where someone uses a poster's faith as a stick to hit them with, really is not on. It's like hitting a pacifist and saying "You can't hit me back! that's against your beliefs!" when he swings at you.

I'm not saying you're wrong/right asking for an answer Nodin, but it's the bringing of his religion into it I object to.

So does this mean if I support Ireland rejoining the commonwealth all of a sudden, nobody can use my republican politics against me...?

So does this mean if I support Ireland rejoining the commonwealth all of a sudden, nobody can use my republican politics against me...?

Can they use your skin colour against you? your race? your sex? whether you're LGBT or not?

Answer ot your q: It'd be a weak argument of his if has to throw that in your face.

1) I don't consider myself an "ambassador" of anything.
    2) Much of my concern particularly in relation to what biko has said is here.

It takes a wild stretch to make anything there equate to
    It's a disgrace that biko, and DeVore would even consider favouring atheism to any other worldview on this board. It's to be expected though
    Given the length of time and posts its taken to get a reply, I suspect you know that yourself.

Can they use your skin colour against you? your race? your sex? whether you're LGBT or not?

In regards to having Ireland become a province of Zimbabwe, Iran and Saudi Arabia, yes, they rather logically could.

In regards to having Ireland become a province of Zimbabwe, Iran and Saudi Arabia, yes, they rather logically could.

Huh?

Huh?

Have a re-read. It'll come to ye.

Have a re-read. It'll come to ye.

No, explain it, I'm thick.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

You know, as Atheism is the absence of religion, then how about a "All Religions" forum under religion and just have a non-Atheist discussion area that people can discuss all religions without the restrictions of the individual religious forums rules.

No, explain it, I'm thick.

It arises if its relevant.

• Advertisement

Hobbes wrote: »
    You know, as Atheism is the absence of religion, then how about a "All Religions" forum under religion and just have a non-Atheist discussion area that people can discuss all religions without the restrictions of the individual religious forums rules.
    Like a Theistic Thunderdome? We could call it Mt. Olympus. Or Godbowl.

Advertisement