Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transferring bank account to UK

Options
  • 17-02-2011 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭

I have a bank account with Bank of Ireland. I'll be moving to the UK permanently next month. Would anyone know if it's possible to transfer the bank account to a UK branch of BOI?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭blah

No. You would have to open a new account (BOI uk is a separate company) and BOI UK don't have branches in the same way as you do in Ireland, you have to open you account by post.

When I moved to London 4 years ago this is how it was and it was a total pain.

In the end I just went to HSBC who only required one proof of address, after I tried Natwest who required 2 proofs of address.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

blah wrote: »
    No. You would have to open a new account (BOI uk is a separate company) and BOI UK don't have branches in the same way as you do in Ireland, you have to open you account by post.

When I moved to London 4 years ago this is how it was and it was a total pain.

In the end I just went to HSBC who only required one proof of address, after I tried Natwest who required 2 proofs of address.

Thanks. The problem I have is that I have no proof of address yet. Only moving into my apartment in the first week of March.

Just checked and Lloyds TSB will let you open an account with only your passport so will give them a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

If your moving job and on a salary it should not be a problem as you will work a month in lieu before your first pay. Until then ensure your Irish account will allow you to draw money out of UK cash points.

I have often used BOI in the UK to withdraw large(ish) sums of cash from my BOI Irish account even though I have not been a UK account holder.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

krissovo wrote: »
    If your moving job and on a salary it should not be a problem as you will work a month in lieu before your first pay. Until then ensure your Irish account will allow you to draw money out of UK cash points.

I have often used BOI in the UK to withdraw large(ish) sums of cash from my BOI Irish account even though I have not been a UK account holder.

Oh yeah, I can take the money out of my Irish accont in the UK in large enough sums. But I'd rather have the account sorted out as quickly as possible. If notthing just to sort out direct debit for bills, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Change your Irish account to your UK address, order a statement and boom, proof of address which shouls suffice for most UK banks :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement