Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice needed - tenant moving out and return of deposit

Options
  • 17-02-2011 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, would like some advice from people here about the above.
    My tennant is moving out on Monday (owner occupied house share) which is all fine and good. The rent was paid up until the 28th but they are moving on Monday anyway and I have to sort out the return of the deposit.
    We have spoken about this and agreed that the outstanding bills will be taken out of this and the remainder returned to her. The UPC bill is a flat amount every month so there will be no issue over that. The Airtricity Gas and electricty bill came yesterday and I've noticed that the gas part is billed from Nov 6th to Jan 6th and so that means that there will be 45 days on the next bill that they owe.
    I'm getting a reading this evening and they will be able to give me a charge for the days up to this evening and I'll be able to add this onto the amount owed.
    However, when it is all added up together there is going to be very little of the deposit left over and I'm anticipating an argument of sorts over this as there is a history of disputing bills and a reluctance to pay them. Given that we've spoken about the bills owing and taking them out of the deposit I am within my rights here aren't I? I think it unfair to ask a subsequent renter to pay for the gas that they didn't use.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Treehouse72

I think your approach sounds fair, and the other party should have no argument - if they were there from Jan. 6 - Feb 21 using gas they should pay their share of that. If you have documentation/a meter reading I don't see how it could be construed as unfair.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

If you've taken a meter reading then and furnish your tenant with the reading and how much they owe, they shouldn't really have any recourse for argument. When they moved in, I assume they agreed to pay their fair share of the bills.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

convert wrote: »
    If you've taken a meter reading then and furnish your tenant with the reading and how much they owe, they shouldn't really have any recourse for argument. When they moved in, I assume they agreed to pay their fair share of the bills.[/QUOTE]

They did agree but this didn't stop the person arguing the toss everytime a bill came. The funny thing is that I was actually very fair about the bills charged in the first place. Sky, UPC and Airtricity were the bills that were to be split 50 50. I didn't ask for money for the annual bin charges, bin tags, tv license etc as others do. Also with regard to cleaning all I asked was that the hoovering was done one per week and by taking it in turns it meant that this was only a job that you had to do every second week. I did the rest of the cleaning in the kitchen, sitting room and downstairs bathroom. The tennants bedroom and bathroom was their own affair.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭shoes34

[QUOTE

They did agree but this didn't stop the person arguing the toss everytime a bill came. The funny thing is that I was actually very fair about the bills charged in the first place. Sky, UPC and Airtricity were the bills that were to be split 50 50. I didn't ask for money for the annual bin charges, bin tags, tv license etc as others do. Also with regard to cleaning all I asked was that the hoovering was done one per week and by taking it in turns it meant that this was only a job that you had to do every second week. I did the rest of the cleaning in the kitchen, sitting room and downstairs bathroom. The tennants bedroom and bathroom was their own affair.[/QUOTE]

I understand where you are coming from I had the same problems with my tenant who moved back home last week, I only charged him for the ESB bill and I paid SKY, bin charges TV licence. Thankfully my last EBS bill came 10 days before he moved out so I didn't bother to charge him for 10 days but as you over a month I would charge her and make sure you tell her and maybe itemise it all for her to see in black and white and show her the meter reading. Best of luck.

Advertisement