Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electrician Bill From Letting Agent

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

complicit wrote: »
    Clearly a landlord .
    astrofool wrote: »
    Instructions on a fuse box? are you insane?
    Graces7 wrote: »
    Pooooor landlord speak again. :rolleyes: Back to ignore methinks..
    Less of the snide comments please.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

We can yell back and forth all day on wither someone should know the basics of flipping a trip switch or not but the facts are that the OP/GF told the agent there was nothing wrong with the fuse box and the agent based on that information called the electrician as they assumed on the information given it was a bigger electrical issue that required a professional. It wasn't and this is totally down to the mis-information that was provided. Had the GF/OP told the agent over the phone they had not checked the fuse box or did not know how to check the fuse box the agent or LL may have talked them through it or may well have called over to look at it...we will never know. They gave the incorrect information and the bill is theirs as a result.

If I ring someone and say my computer is not working and they ask me is it plugged in and I say yes and they then arrive to my door to fix my 'broken' machine and it turns out that it wasn't plugged in I would still have to pay for the call out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭pooch90

Pooooor landlord speak again. :rolleyes: Back to ignore methinks..

This is a ridiculous link to make.

The poster was agreeing with a post I made. Just because a poster doesn't think it's a LL's remit to babysit and mollycoddle their tenant doesn't automatically mean they themselves are a LL.

I'm not a LL but I count myself as a reasonably mature grown up. No way in hell would I ring an agent without having investigated the problem myself properly. It's called common sense. Should I ring the LL because the lights won't come on before I attempt to change the lightbulb? Should I call them because the heating won't come on before I check if there's oil in the tank? The list is endless. You're an adult, act like it.

(OP, this is a general post, not intended as digs at you)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Penguino wrote: »
    Letting agent asked the tenant to check the fuse box - fair enough. Is the tenant an electrician? I don't think she is

Doesn't matter. Trip switch is not just for electricians, it is a resident-accessible an usable feature. Like a tap, or a window-lock. It is perfectly acceptable to expect a tenant to know how to operate a trip-switch.

IMO because the agent asked did they check and got a "yes" (however 'tentative') then tenant has to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Folks, I've asked you to behave. If you have a problem, use the report post button below the offending user's name. I've deleted about 6 posts for snide remarks, beat-seat moderating and general off-topicness, none of which helps the OP.

The nest person to be infracted gets a ban also.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭dissed doc

No way should the tenant pay; there should be clear written instructions by the fuse box and the agent should have been more helpful also.

The first time this happened to us, we had no idea, being new to Ireland, what was wrong, and called the landlord. He told us the reason and then came to show us what to do and ever thereafter we managed fine.

Bad agent.

should probably ensure there are instructions on the kitchen sink as well in case some accidently tries to wash a cup with cold water.

Doors as well. I've been trying to open the bathroom door in my place for days. It turns out you have to pull it open and not push. TBH, this is unacceptable and I will withold rent until it's changed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Sparky_Larks

OP said he checked the box but couldn't see. So he must have thought there was a reasonable chance that a trip switch was the issue.

Unfortunately the bill is the OP's to pay.

Resetting a trip switch is safe to do so, but if you want to be safer a dry wooden sweeping brush.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭meath4sam

landlord should pay reasons being
    1, mcb trips it for a reason and should be investigated it doesnt trip for no reason.
    2,when u arived there was no power, the mcb my have been switched off for on purpose, unknown to you, maybe unfinshed work ie cables left hanging out off walls where u mite not see them.
    3,if you turned it on and that nite stared a fire due to unsafe wiring would it be your fault???

ok i understand most people will know how to turn it back on and all will be grand but even if you had off seen a mcb tripped its not up to you to turn on if you dont know what you are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

meath4sam wrote: »
    landlord should pay reasons being
    1, mcb trips it for a reason and should be investigated it doesnt trip for no reason.
    2,when u arived there was no power, the mcb my have been switched off for on purpose, unknown to you, maybe unfinshed work ie cables left hanging out off walls where u mite not see them.
    3,if you turned it on and that nite stared a fire due to unsafe wiring would it be your fault???

ok i understand most people will know how to turn it back on and all will be grand but even if you had off seen a mcb tripped its not up to you to turn on if you dont know what you are doing.

As 3DataModem already stated a Trip switch is not just for electricians, it is a resident-accessible and usable feature. One would assume if work was still in the process of being carried out or had just recently been carried out the LL/agent would have been aware of this and said as much to the OP before they moved in and/or when they rang them about the sockets not working. They would have been in breach of the lease had the let the OP move into an apartment that did not meet the set standards laid down in residential tenancies act.

Advertisement