Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost to install eircom phone line?

Options
  • 17-02-2011 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭

Hi,
    I was just wondering how much does it cost to get a phone line installed and activated? (just need line brought into attic as house is pre-wired)

How long on average does it take from order to installation?

Thanks,
    Adrian

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

brock92 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I was just wondering how much does it cost to get a phone line installed and activated? (just need line brought into attic as house is pre-wired)

How long on average does it take from order to installation?

Thanks,
    Adrian

Hi Adrian,

Can you Pm your address and I can check that out for you. Thanks, Mark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 grainne30

Hi there,

I have a similar query. Moving into a newly renovated house in the countryside with no existing phone line. There are other houses around with phone lines - we are not totally isolated.

I wondered if anyone could give me some guidance on the costs of installing a phone line and broadband package? No experience in the South before, have always used Virgin Media in Belfast.

Thanks

Gráinne

grainne30 wrote: »
    Hi there,

I have a similar query. Moving into a newly renovated house in the countryside with no existing phone line. There are other houses around with phone lines - we are not totally isolated.

I wondered if anyone could give me some guidance on the costs of installing a phone line and broadband package? No experience in the South before, have always used Virgin Media in Belfast.

Thanks

Gráinne

Hi grainne30,

Sorry about the delay in getting back to you. If you PM the address I can outline the options and prices available to you.

Thanks, Mark

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Lines are free nowadays Mark

New line = free
    Reactivated line = free

You should know

• Registered Users Posts: 2 rly2k2010

Hi,

I am moving into a property that has previously had an Eircom line but Eircom said I need an engineer to go out as it has been several years since the line was last active.
    Is that normal?
    Does it take 10 days or could it take longer for the engineer to come out and get me up and running?

Thanks

• Advertisement

rly2k2010 wrote: »
    Hi,

I am moving into a property that has previously had an Eircom line but Eircom said I need an engineer to go out as it has been several years since the line was last active.
    Is that normal?
    Does it take 10 days or could it take longer for the engineer to come out and get me up and running?

Thanks

Hi rly2k2010,

eircom have a promotion running until the end of December where all new installtions will be free of charge. However be aware there is a minimum term contract of 6 months for any new line.

There are no guarantees in relation to broadband, as the line needs to be installed and subsequently tested before we know if the the line can take broadband (and at what speed).

Also with any new account, each customer must agree to a direct debit being set up or pay a deposit of €150.

If you want to go ahead and place the order you can call our services team on 1800 242 633.

Thanks, Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 2 rly2k2010

Hi,

Is that normal?

Thanks

Hi rly2k2010,

eircom have a promotion running until the end of December where all new installtions will be free of charge. However be aware there is a minimum term contract of 6 months for any new line.

There are no guarantees in relation to broadband, as the line needs to be installed and subsequently tested before we know if the the line can take broadband (and at what speed).

Also with any new account, each customer must agree to a direct debit being set up or pay a deposit of €150.

If you want to go ahead and place the order you can call our services team on 1800 242 633.

Thanks, Mark

Thanks for the quick reply Mark,

I am not moving in until September so I don't want to get the line setup yet but I am a bit unsure weather the 10 day time frame for an engineer to come out and get my line active is just the minimum or does it usually take longer?

I need it be active for when I move in so I just want to know when I should order it to make sure it's up and running for me when I move in?

Also if I sign up to a 12 month broadband package and It turns out that my phone line can't get broadband, can I just cancel the contract with no penalties? Or is there a way to find out now if the line is suitable for broadband to save me the hassel of getting the line connected as it's only for a broadband connection??

Thanks

Thanks for the quick reply Mark,

I am not moving in until September so I don't want to get the line setup yet but I am a bit unsure weather the 10 day time frame for an engineer to come out and get my line active is just the minimum or does it usually take longer?

I need it be active for when I move in so I just want to know when I should order it to make sure it's up and running for me when I move in?

Also if I sign up to a 12 month broadband package and It turns out that my phone line can't get broadband, can I just cancel the contract with no penalties? Or is there a way to find out now if the line is suitable for broadband to save me the hassel of getting the line connected as it's only for a broadband connection??

Thanks

Hi rly2k2010,

Most new connections have a leat time of 5-10 working days. There are some cases where the installation can take longer depending on the work involved.

The minimum term contract is 6 months and as broadband is not guaranteed, so even if the line fails for broadband the 6 month contract still applies for the telephone line connection.

Thanks, Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 5 alexjames

hi mark, i have the same problem i just moved into a new house with no exsisting phone line the house is wired up for it but there is no pole outside can you let me know how much it would cost to get the pole if you can thank you. im in the country

you sure there is no wire to the road ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 alexjames

im not really sure but the neighbours down the road have eircom broadband and the phone line. any idea how i mite find out?

trace out, look for bundle of cable near road etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Chessala

Heya, I'm currently in the trouble to get my house connected (well, was sorted yesterday). Just thought I'd share the information I giot.

WHen you get the line connected I was actually told that the contract is for 12 months instead of a year. ALso, after the line is activated you have 7 days to cancel it if you decide not to keep it. In that time there is no cancelation fee.

Thought that might be interesting for people (like me) that are only interested in broadband and not phone itself....

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭al-pal

Looking for something similar. Is that offer still going for free connection? Just looking for BBC only. No need for phone. House is wired but no wires coming in. Ducting is in place. How do I know if I have capability for ngn?

How far are you from the exchange and what is the name of the exchange??

Ducting to the road and internal wiring is a good start, eircom should then install a line for free per their current Residential Line special offer (save a copy of that just in case) . Ducting to the road should be mandatory in all new builds. Contract 6 months Minimum

http://www.eircom.ie/About/Activities/internet_special_offer.pdf

1. The offer applies to Residential Standard, In Situ and Pre-Cabled PSTN Connection and Residential Standard, InSitu and Pre-Ca
    Orders received during the promotional period. A maximum of one order per account may avail of the promotional offer.
    2. The offer applies to Residential Accounts only. The line must be retained on a Residential Account for a minimum period of six
    transferred to a Business Account, or ceased and then re-instated on a Business Account, eircom reserves the right to apply the
    fee.
    3. Normal line rental charges will apply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

al-pal wrote: »
    Looking for something similar. Is that offer still going for free connection? Just looking for BBC only. No need for phone. House is wired but no wires coming in. Ducting is in place. How do I know if I have capability for ngn?

Thanks for post al-pal,

Just to confirm what the previous post (Sponge Bob) outlines : Yes there is a Free connection fee for all new phone lines, and these are subject to a 12 month contract. The time frame is generally 7 - 10 working days for a new build and 24 - 48 hours for a re-activation of an existing phoneline.

Your phone line will need to be connected and activated before it can be fully tested for NGN compatibility or fixedline Adsl broadband.

Visit our website : www.ngb.ie for more information on next generation broadband. Alternatively check compatibility on Broadband availability in your area at - http://www.eircom.net/broadband/ and make further savings when you sign up online - http://www.eircom.net/broadband/onlineoffers

If you need more information on this, you can also call into Broadband Sales directly on freefone 1800503303

Let me know if I can help further.

Best wishes,
    Ant

Thanks for post al-pal,
    Just to confirm what the previous post (Sponge Bob) outlines : Yes there is a Free connection fee for all new phone lines, and these are subject to a 12 month contract. The time frame is generally 7 - 10 working days for a new build and 24 - 48 hours for a re-activation of an existing phoneline.

It is a 6 Month Contract while the special offer period applies Ant. NOT a 12 Month Contract. The special offer applies to any new line ordered between now and 30th June 2012.

It may be converted by eircom into a 12 month contract if he accepts any further discounts other than the free installation.

Can you revert to confirm that please.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    It is a 6 Month Contract while the special offer period applies Ant. NOT a 12 Month Contract. The special offer applies to any new line ordered between now and 30th June 2012.

It may be converted by eircom into a 12 month contract if he accepts any further discounts other than the free installation.

Can you revert to confirm that please.

Hi Sponge Bob,

Please see breif below.

PSTN contract extension:

eircom PSTN contract term is being extended from 6 months to 12 months for all new customers for the following reasons:

· It reduces consumer confusion by aligning the PSTN contract to the broadband contract length.

· It aligns our PSTN contract with competitor contracts which are all 12 months.

· It maximises revenue and customer lifetime for eircom and helps us recoup any connection charges that we initially incurred.

When?

- This took effect from the 22nd August 2011. The change will only impact new customers from this date and any customer who starts a PSTN contract before this date will remain on the existing 6 month contract.

Thanks, Mark

Hi Sponge Bob,

Please see breif below.

PSTN contract extension:

eircom PSTN contract term is being extended from 6 months to 12 months for all new customers for the following reasons:

I did qualify my statement Mark...I said "if further discounts" are accepted by the customer then it may be different.

A NEW promotion is in place since 1 January 2012 in addition to the Free Installation promotion.

"eircom Consumer €5 opt‐in contract promotion
    Promotion Period: "October 1st January 2012 to October 16th 2012" * eircoms words that.

IF the customer accepts this promotion in addition to the Free Installation this is what happens. They get €5 off their next bill and they are converted to a 12 month contract.

IF the customer does not accept the further discount the 6 month minimum contract term continues to apply.
    "2. Customers who opt‐in to the promotion will receive a once‐off credit of €5.00 (inc VAT) on their next eircom bill
    3. The promotion is made available subject to the customer commencing a new 12 month minimum contract term
    service. For the avoidance of doubt, an early cease charge will apply where the PSTN service is ceased within the
    term.
    4. Only one instance of the €5 credit may apply to an account within a 12 month period."

I trust that my interpretation of what is an "Opt-In" is correct. If he refuses the one off €5 promotional discount on his first bill he is in a 6 month contract.

Look forward to clarification from you guys!

I did qualify my statement Mark...I said "if further discounts" are accepted by the customer then it may be different.

A NEW promotion is in place since 1 January 2012 in addition to the Free Installation promotion.

Promotion Period: "October 1st January 2012 to October 16th 2012" * eircoms words that.

IF the customer accepts this promotion in addition to the Free Installation this is what happens. They get €5 off their next bill and they are converted to a 12 month contract.

IF the customer does not accept the further discount the 6 month minimum contract term continues to apply.

I trust that my interpretation of what is an "Opt-In" is correct. If he refuses the one off €5 promotional discount on his first bill he is in a 6 month contract.

Look forward to clarification from you guys!

Hi Sponge Bob,

Any new account / line set up is an automatic 12 month contract.

If the customer signs up for the 6 month promotional offer bundle discount the 12 month contract applies.

Thanks, Mark

• Advertisement

A new line installation should be a 6 month contract as we are in a promotional period according to eircoms published T&Cs Mark and I linked those published T&Cs. If they opt in to a €5 discount they extend that 6 month period to 12 months. If they do not opt in then the contract term is 6 months.

The published T&Cs are what matter. It is not an AUTOMATIC extension, it is an "Opt In" to quote eircom.

A new line installation should be a 6 month contract as we are in a promotional period according to eircoms published T&Cs Mark and I linked those published T&Cs. If they opt in to a €5 discount they extend that 6 month period to 12 months. If they do not opt in then the contract term is 6 months.

The published T&Cs are what matter. It is not an AUTOMATIC extension, it is an "Opt In" to quote eircom.

Hi Sponge Bob,

The PSTN contract T&Cs changed as advised above:

"he 22nd August 2011. The change will only impact new customers from this date and any customer who starts a PSTN contract before this date will remain on the existing 6 month contract"

Regardless if the opt in to a standard PSTN, broadband, bundle or promotional offer as of the 22nd of August 2011. 12 months is the minimum term for contract from that date.

Thanks, Mark

Regardless if the opt in to a standard PSTN, broadband, bundle or promotional offer as of the 22nd of August 2011. 12 months is the minimum term for contract from that date.
    I'm sure you are correct as to Standard eircom T&C's Mark but if you check around you will find that Promotional T&Cs Override Standard T&Cs for the duration of the promotional period.

The two promotions I referred to are currently in force until the 30th June 2012 after which the Standard T&Cs will apply again.

Ant and Mark, have you researched this in detail and come up with a definitive answer yet????

Any chance someone from eircom can research this and revert with a reply???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

Any chance someone from eircom can research this and revert with a reply???

Hi Sponge Bob

checking this now and double checking to be sure ( as you seem pretty sure of this ) ;) but will be back to you soon to clarify.
    Tony

I'm sure you are correct as to Standard eircom T&C's Mark but if you check around you will find that Promotional T&Cs Override Standard T&Cs for the duration of the promotional period.

The two promotions I referred to are currently in force until the 30th June 2012 after which the Standard T&Cs will apply again.

Hi Sponge Bob,

Sorry about the delay in getting back to you. I was getting absolute clarification on your contract query.

eircom TalkTime promotion
    (promotional period: 28th February 2011 to 28th February 2012)

See point:

7. The promotion is made available subject to a 12 month contract term being applied to the customer’s PSTN service and a 12 month contract

customer’s broadband service. For the avoidance of doubt, early cease charge(s) will apply where either or both of these services are ceased within the minimum contract period.

As stated before 12 months is the minimum term contract.

Thanks, Mark

Mark.

You are correct on the talktime promotion save that I never mentioned it at all. :)

Shall we all wait for Tony then???

Mark.

You are correct on the talktime promotion save that I never mentioned it at all. :)

Shall we all wait for Tony then???

IF the customer does not accept the further discount the 6 month minimum contract term continues to apply."

Hi Sponge Bob,

The response was in reference to the above post.

Thanks, Mark

• Advertisement

This is fair going round the promotions but the contract period is still 6 months on a new line Mark.

Advertisement