Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Emmigration

• 17-02-2011 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

A recent graduate here, just wondering where are the best places at the mo for environmental work? have heard from a few friends that Australia is full of work...anybody got any insights? I have searched in this country for graduate work since october but to no avail, i think its time for a change of scenary. any other suggestions on where to go would also be appreciated.
    cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

lenn wrote: »
    A recent graduate here, just wondering where are the best places at the mo for environmental work? have heard from a few friends that Australia is full of work...anybody got any insights? I have searched in this country for graduate work since october but to no avail, i think its time for a change of scenary. any other suggestions on where to go would also be appreciated.
    cheers!

You're a recent Environmental Science graduate? I think America, Canada, Australia and New Zealand are probably your best bets when it comes to working in some field related to what you've done, although the UK isn't too bad either (just not great). Earthworks is a great site for jobs; http://www.earthworks-jobs.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 24 lenn

yeah with a masters in Environmental Management. I have trawled the net for jobs in the UK as this would be my preferable destination. it appears to a real 'chicked and egg' scenario at the moment, as most jobs advertisements require at least 1 years experience, but how do i get that experience? thanks for the help though El Siglo.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,800 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I should start with a disclaimer before trying to give any advice, as I'm in the same situation lenn ;)
    But I would say have a look at the various phds on offer in Germany, most of them are paid and you are guaranteed for 3 years. Personally I would prefer a real job but at this stage you have to take anything you can get. Here's a few
    http://www.earth-system-science.org/?id=2990

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 186 ✭✭210

I have seen a few adds for placements under the FAS scheme in science related areas. I know this scheme is a pretty un-appealing opportunity but to take a positive view it would give a participant a bit of experience which down the line would possibly get them in the door to an interview - this is now a difficult step given the high class of people out there currently. Keep your chin up -while things seem bleak this will as it has before turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 lenn

Thanks for the advice guys, you've all given me a lot to think about.
    However, a friend of mine who's just moved to Oz has just applied for a job as an Environmental inspector, he says they are recruiting for several positions in different cities/regions. might be worth a punt? anybody here got any experience of Environmental inspection or what it might entail? is it similar to a role with the EPA? or am i completely off topic?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭jcf

It would think it would be similar to a role in the EPA (American), but then again, could be totally different in Australia

Advertisement