Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best light (AA batteries)

Options
  • 17-02-2011 2:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭

What is the best light for a bike i could buy that runs on AA's. Is the cateye el-520 any good? Lumen ratings seem low on those things

I was half thinking of buying one of these, running it off a 10-pack AA's and making my own case for it. bad idea?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I use the Cateye EL-530 and I like it.

Depends on what you want it for, but I got it for going down the poorly lit roads of the Phoenix Park, a purpose for which it's ok. There are much brighter lights though. It's more than bright enough for normal city cycling, and is very conspicuous because it's so much brighter than most bike front lights in use.

These review seem accurate enough, both on the positives and negatives:
    http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews118341.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭C3PO

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

+1 on the Ixon IQ, been using one for the winter and it works well. The two settings mean you can move between unlit and poorly lit conditions easily, and on the low setting it holds a charge for a long time. It includes rechargeables and charger, or you can use regular AAs when required.

If I was doing longer night rides, I'd probably buy a second one to have one beam for near the bike and one for further ahead. Picked up a flat last night on some broken glass, where I probably had the beam too far forward.

Just noticed that Wiggle have a 50% sale on lights which could be worth a scan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Re the Cateye EL-530, I've been using one for 3 years or more now and I've been happy with the amount and quality of light from it. It is certainly enough to be seen by, and isn't bad for seeing either on short stretches of semi-lit roads. If you were travelling along a completely unlit road though then you might not spot potholes and the like with this light though.

The light is certainly not perfect though. My main gripe is with the fragility of the plastic that the main body of the light is made from. Combine that with the weight of 4 AA batteries in it and you can cause significant damage if you drop it - that's not too big a deal, mind you, as the same could be said for many lights. The real issue for me is that where the body of the light connects with the mounting bracket seems to be prone to breaking while the light is on the bike. I've had this same issue with most Cateye lights I've used. Mind you, my current one is still managing to hold to the mounting bracket despite a chunk of the interfacing plastic being missing for many months now. As with most of my previous Cateye lights, I expect to have to replace the light due to it being unable to grip the mounting bracket any longer, rather than due to any failure of the electronics in it. The guts of them have lasted well for me, it's just the casings that seem to be the limiter.

As regards some of the online reviews referring to the light tilting down on the handlebars, a strip of grippy material between the mount and the handlebar has always sorted that out for me. The strips of rubber spacers that came with the lights for this purposes didn't always work for me so I sometimes used something else - a strip of silicone works very well.

I think Cyclelogical sell older-style Cateye mounts, which are much better than the ones that come with the EL-530. I had one spare from years ago, and I put it on the Brompton, having put the modern one on my main bike. The old-style one is a lot better, both for gripping the handlebar and for mounting the light.

I had to replace my first EL-530 because the case cracked when I dropped it, which meant that the top (the bit with the LED and all the electronics) couldn't be screwed on anymore. But it survived quite a few drops over a few years before that happened.

The only other disadvantage not mentioned here by doozerie or that review site is that if you leave your mobile phone beside it, it can switch the light on, leaving you with no light to get home.

Just to qualify my comment above that the EL-530 is "certainly enough to be seen by", I will say that people have driven, walked, and cycled, out in front of me even with this light beaming at them from my bike. They are the exception, and almost certainly can all be primarily classed under the label of "moron", but just be aware that this light is ignorable by those who find it too inconvenient to notice it. By comparison, I started using an (additional) 900-lumen front light recently (an SSC P7-C) and even if you were determined you'd be hard pressed to deliberately not notice it (unfortunately the "super-moron" category of such people does exist though but thankfully it's not heavily populated, probably 'cos most of them can't manage to find the exits from their house and so fail to unleash themselves on the world). At least, it claims a max of 900-lumen, the reality is probably quite a bit less but the light is certainly *very* bright.

The SSC P7-C is a good light for seeing by too, but it takes a single TR18650 battery rather than AA's which doesn't match the requirements you mentioned. I bought two of the lights, plus rechargeable batteries, plus recharger, from DealExtreme.com. The price is good but the quality is patchy as one of the lights has an intermittent problems. Runtime is relatively low too, with a claimed 1hr on full brightness and 2hrs on half-brightness I think (though I seem to get longer than those figures). Review here.

tomasrojo wrote: »
    I think Cyclelogical sell older-style Cateye mounts, which are much better than the ones that come with the EL-530. I had one spare from years ago, and I put it on the Brompton, having put the modern one on my main bike. The old-style one is a lot better, both for gripping the handlebar and for mounting the light.

That's a good point. I think that I have the older mount, from a previous Cateye light, on one bike and the grip on that seems more solid and reliable than that of the newer mount on another bike. The older mount is actually for a different model of Cateye light.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

I'll weigh in behind the Hope Vision 1 too.
    Get quality branded rechargeables tho, cheapo ones can't keep up to them.
    Duracells are keeping mine going nicely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

doozerie wrote: »
    Just to qualify my comment above that the EL-530 is "certainly enough to be seen by", I will say that people have driven, walked, and cycled, out in front of me even with this light beaming at them from my bike.
    I've been flashed by cars who thought I was a motorbike with full beams on, yet people have still managed to SMIDSY me. Unfortunately super-morons are everywhere :)

I think the fragility of the EL-530 is my main gripe with the unit. I still have mine but now it's been reduced to being used as my emergency torch in the car and will probably go into my backpack during the summer as my emergency get-me-home light in case I get caught out.
    Mine started getting dimmer/brighter or turning off altogether when you shook the unit, which when coupled with the dodgy bracket, meant that it was constantly flickering while I was cycling along. It also went off a couple of times and I hadn't noticed, so I just couldn't rely on it any more to use as my main light.

If you're going to go looking at spending the best part of €100 on lights and not entirely married to AA batteries, then I can't recommend these highly enough. The main reason I bought them was the rechargable battery, I got sick of carrying AA batteries everywhere and having to buy them all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Why, out of interest, are AAs a requirement? You will get better energy density from (rechargable) lithium ion batteries (e.g. 18650s.) A Fenix TK11 will give you 13 hours of significantly brighter light than the Cateye (more than enough to see the road) from each spare 18650 you carry (spares only cost $4 or so.)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Another Hope Vision 1 user here, as said get rechargeable 2900 batteries (good quality ones)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Ghost Estate

blorg wrote: »
    Why, out of interest, are AAs a requirement? You will get better energy density from (rechargable) lithium ion batteries (e.g. 18650s.) A Fenix TK11 will give you 13 hours of significantly brighter light than the Cateye (more than enough to see the road) from each spare 18650 you carry (spares only cost $4 or so.)

because I have loads of these already that i'd carry around and use for other things as well. and don't want another charger

li-ion batteries also perish quite fast. my own laptop battery for example
    Battery 0: design capacity 4492 mAh, last full capacity 3768 mAh = 83%
    (it's only barely a year old :() i know you can get lifepo4 18650's but their capacity is similar to a AA

that Hope Vision 1 looks fairly decent, 240lm. It needs to be fairly bright for use in the pitch dark

One 18650 has about the same capacity as two AAs.

A light based on a single cell will tend to perform better than one based on multiple non-matched cells.

18650s are engineered for high discharge, whereas some AAs are not. I think this is why you can get high power lights based on one, two or four 18650s or two or four AAs, but not just two AAs - the current would be more than the AAs could take.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Dubba

+ 1 for the Hope Vision 1

Wiggle have them down 30% to £63.53:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/hope-vision-1-led-front-light/

Also a very good review from a poster here - Super Freak which is worth a look:

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055708710&highlight=hope+vision

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Fan

Any recommendations on what rechargeable batteries and charger to get and where to purchase?

For use with the Hope Vision 1

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭serendip

> What is the best light for a bike i could buy that runs on AA's. Is the cateye el-520 any good?
    I had an el-520 and the seal/connection between back and front broke pretty quickly. I wouldn't get one again. More generally I wouldn't get one that: a) is made of plastic and b) has an asymmetric attachment. (Although others seem to have had a better experience with this light.)

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Redjeep!

What is the best light for a bike i could buy that runs on AA's. Is the cateye el-520 any good? Lumen ratings seem low on those things

I was half thinking of buying one of these, running it off a 10-pack AA's and making my own case for it. bad idea?

Well, it's been done before. Read this, if you want to go the DIY route. http://http://www.amquix.info/alieneye/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Ghost Estate

Redjeep! wrote: »
    Well, it's been done before. Read this, if you want to go the DIY route. http://http://www.amquix.info/alieneye/

I dont want to blind any oncoming traffic with it, so that idea is gone :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Redjeep!

I dont want to blind any oncoming traffic with it, so that idea is gone :(

I'm not sure that the beam pattern is really much different to the majority of bike lights or converted torches, so I don't know if it would be any worse than them anyway. Something like the Hope light seems to have a very round beam pattern and I think that it would be just as likely to blind oncoming traffic as a light like this.

I'd say that blinding oncoming traffic is down to power, beam pattern and the way it's angled.

I'm not saying it'd be any better or any worse, I just can't see the difference, maybe somebody could explain if they can ? ? I'm in the same boat and trying to buy a powerful bike light for commuting. I just can't see if the price difference for the Hopes (or similar) are worth it above for instance, the Deal Extreme torches or the Fenix.

Redjeep! wrote: »
    I just can't see if the price difference for the Hopes (or similar) are worth it above for instance, the Deal Extreme torches or the Fenix.

I've bought two or three torches for use on the bike, and they all suffered from either general unreliability or cut-out over bumpy roads. Other people have found them OK (particularly the Fenix, which is generally highly regarded although mine failed). I would not buy any torch with multiple 18650s which uses a tail-mounted clicky, as the weight of the cells tends to cause cut-out over bumps (or more irritatingly, a mode switch to kill-everything-strobe) as they bounce around inside.

So, my experience of torches isn't great.

Other lights I've owned include:

- USE Joystick (failed with water ingress after a month)
    - Blackburn 4 rear (v. bright, but is eventually succumbing to water ingress)
    - Blackburn Flea front and rear (front is fine, rear is malfunctioning after two weeks, ouput from either isn't great)
    - Knog Frogs (crappy output)
    - B&M Ixon IQs (front mounted pair, pretty much faultless except for the relatively modest output).

So, I'd like to say that bike lights are better engineered than cheaper torches, but I'm not sure that's necessarily true.

The high-end MTB lights from the likes of USE, Ayup etc do occasionally fail but are reported to have excellent customer service, and the riders on our RAI team last year loved them, particularly the Ayups. But they are expensive.

Fenix TK11 is still the best bang for buck, but the Hopes are priced well at the moment.

If I was to start again with bike lights I'd probably just spend the money on a dynamo hub and some B&M lights and eliminate the battery issue altogether. Batteries are crap.

Lumen wrote: »
    If I was to start again with bike lights I'd probably just spend the money on a dynamo hub and some B&M lights and eliminate the battery issue altogether. Batteries are crap.

Out of interest, if you go with a dynamo, is the dynamo charging a battery pack, or driving the lights directly? Thinking of likely power output from downhills vs uphills, along with stops. The Ixon IQ charger charges from flat in a couple of hours with 9v @600ma (current regulated), but I wonder if the variable and possibly interrupted output from a dynamo would suit.

smacl wrote: »
    Out of interest, if you go with a dynamo, is the dynamo charging a battery pack, or driving the lights directly? Thinking of likely power output from downhills vs uphills, along with stops.

I'd probably get the 60 Lux version of this, the LUMOTEC IQ Cyo N plus and a dynamo-driven rear light to go with it.

No batteries, just a capacitor for the standlight.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Mosiki

Fan wrote: »
    Any recommendations on what rechargeable batteries and charger to get and where to purchase?

For use with the Hope Vision 1

Thanks

http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350424955193&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:IE:1123

Dunno lad,(unless you've tried em) just because a battery has 2700 or 2900 written on it doesn't mean it'll drive the Hope. There's quality AND quantity to be taken into account - some batteries just can't deal with the current draw. They might have the capacity but they can't deliver high current.

I had one of these chargers, the 2700mAh batteries that came with it are useless in the Hope
    http://www.camlink.eu.com/products/chargers/chargers/ZETA.html

But Duracell rechargeables of lesser capacity last longer and are more reliable. got em cheap from this guy
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/8-DURACELL-SUPREME-AA-2450mAh-RECHARGEABLE-BATTERIES-/320634700633?pt=UK_ConsumerElectronics_Batteries_SM&hash=item4aa7514359#ht_1327wt_898

Tesco sell the Duracell rechargeables, AAs and AAAs. Very reliable, reasonable price. Rechargeables last me about ten years anyway. My uncle reckons it's because I use very old rechargers that take about twenty hours to top the batteries up, rather than the very fast modern ones.

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Tesco sell the Duracell rechargeables, AAs and AAAs.
    Found them expensive compared to that eBay dude.

langdang wrote: »
    Found them expensive compared to that eBay dude.
    True.

• Advertisement

The rechargeable battery shoot-out page now seems to have gone a few years without an update but it makes interesting reading nonetheless. I have two Maha chargers, one of which is recommended on that page, and I've found them very good. One of their selling points is that they continue to provide a trickle charge once a battery has supposedly reached a full charge - apparently a "full charge" is actually only something like a 90% charge or so (depending on the charger) so the trickle charge is an attempt to top that up to closer to 100%. Mind you, I've yet to find a (affordable) battery tester that'll tell me accurately how much charge a battery has so I remain a bit sceptical about the 4-bar LCD display on one of my battery chargers and the results displayed by the two cheap and cheerful battery testers I have.

As regards batteries themselves, I have a set of four Powerex 2300mAh NiMH AA batteries for several years now (must be at least 7 years now) which have been excellent throughout. They power my compact digital camera for quite a while (for at least 200 photos) and they continue to hold their charge very well between charges too for periods of 4 weeks and more. By comparison, I have lots of Energiser 2500mAh NiMH AA batteries which started out well but within a year or two they were no longer holding their charge beyond a couple of weeks of being charged and they drain to zero quickly when in use too. I also bought a bunch of Powerex 2700mAh NiMH AA batteries a few years ago which have gone the very same way as the Energisers. I don't know whether the quality of Powerex batteries dropped before I bought the 2700's or whether higher powered batteries just don't hold their charge as well but my experiences with the Energisers seems to suggest the latter. By comparison, I have a mix of Energiser 850mAh NiMH AAA batteries and Powerex 1000mAh NiMH AAA batteries and these still keep their charge well between charges.

Advertisement