Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile + 3G modem Q?

Options
  • 17-02-2011 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭

Hello...

I just moved into an apartment and have no broadband. However I have a mobile tariff with unlimited data plan. I was sondering if anyone could recommend an inexpensive PAYG phone that I could use as a 3G modem with an apple mac?

I had an iPhone but it died. Currently using a very very basic Nokia which doesn't do interweb.

Thanks.

S.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

what network are you currently with?

Its best place to start so you wont have to unlock the new phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭sturgo

Davy wrote: »
    what network are you currently with?

Its best place to start so you wont have to unlock the new phone.

I'm with O2 in the UK.

sturgo wrote: »
    I'm with O2 in the UK.

Do you want to stay with them? Get the new payg handset from them?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,090 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Get the Samsung Wave S8500. It lets you connect up to 4 devices to the phone via WiFi and they can all then share the 3G connection.

Works a treat with my Macbook Pro

• Advertisement

cnocbui wrote: »
    Get the Samsung Wave S8500. It lets you connect up to 4 devices to the phone via WiFi and they can all then share the 3G connection.

Works a treat with my Macbook Pro

Its not for sale on o2 uk though. It would also be dearer then the C5. The C5 i linked does not have wlan but it capable of much higher 3g speeds then the wave. The wave is 3.6mb as to 10.2mb for the C5. This will work perfectly with a usb cable or can be connected with bluetooth either

• Registered Users Posts: 20,090 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

You are right, I didn't notice the monthly button at the top and misunderstood the available on all tariffs label.

The Wave II is available on PAYG for £357.44. A bit expensive I think as it is an inferior phone to the original Wave which can be got for £270.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-S8500-Wave-Mobile-Phone/dp/B003LBT9Q6

The C5 is certainly cheaper, but since the OP mentioned having had an iPhone and didn't mention being price sensitive, I made the suggestion accordingly.

O2 had a limit of 3.6 mbps. Have they increased this?

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭sturgo

Thanks guys. Looks like most decent Nokias will do the job. Also just remembered I have a Samsung Europa that might just do the job. Failing that I can always jailbreak my iPad and use that as a modem.

Cheers,

S.

Advertisement