Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cctv for private property

Options
  • 17-02-2011 2:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

I have been reading other posts here about cctv. We are going to get cctv installed for security and to act as a deterrent. Our house is in the countryside and we wanted to get 4 cameras and dvr. We would need fairly decent cameras ie be able to recognise an intruder on playback, and nightvision needed too. I have been looking at the specs but really I don't know much about it to be honest so what do ye think about this kit for about 500 euro equicom.ie I'm thinking the cameras are the most important item?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

That link doesn't open. You won't get much of a system for €500. You'll need to spend considerably more if you want to capture faces/registrations at night time.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭jupiter00

www.equicom.ie Perhaps this might work, its the outdoor cctv kit 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭MrThrifty

For what it's worth, while it's a nice idea in theory to catch intruders on camera and then bring them to justice, the reality is that if at all possible you're better off simply trying to deter them from entering the property in the first place. This can be done using simple PIR activated lights or floodlights etc, even PIR activated 'barking dog' sounders near the entrance to the property! Also, if the house is occupied, it's worth considering the likes of wireless driveway monitors which alert you when a person/object enters your driveway and passes a particular point. Bottom line from my experience is that trying to deter or catch them at the time like this wins out over looking back over footage afterwards for evidence after a crime's being committed.

That said, I do recommend getting a camera system, if not just for the fun on it, but in addition to the other measures mentioned above. Also, I don't think much myself of the quality of night-vision images when it comes to identifying intruders (as opposed to vehicle reg plates) and a nice work-around might be to have a security floodlight/outdoor light to illuminate an area at night time wherever a camera is pointed. That way you'll get good quality colour footage, not some of the crap you see on CrimeCall.

Incidentally, I'm perhaps ignorantly assuming in all of this that the camera DVR system doesn't come with an alarm or notification feature which alerts you at the time whenever motion is detected but just silently records it for later review.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭nulabert

I have been reading other posts here about cctv. We are going to get cctv installed for security and to act as a deterrent. Our house is in the countryside and we wanted to get 4 cameras and dvr. We would need fairly decent cameras ie be able to recognise an intruder on playback, and nightvision needed too. I have been looking at the specs but really I don't know much about it to be honest so what do ye think about this kit for about 500 euro equicom.ie I'm thinking the cameras are the most important item?

I'm doing some research on CCTV to. Found this site, it seems to explain it fairly well.

CCTV isn't cheap by the looks of!! You'd wonder is it better to get dummy cameras to act as a deterrent instead of paying top price for decent gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

nulabert wrote: »
    I'm doing some research on CCTV to. Found this site, it seems to explain it fairly well.

CCTV isn't cheap by the looks of!! You'd wonder is it better to get dummy cameras to act as a deterrent instead of paying top price for decent gear.

Cheap equipment means lower quality system, in most cases you get what you pay for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭MrThrifty

Would add that cheap also usually means poor reliability -> Have got various cctv and security products from eBay over the last year and all have developed problems or had problems from day 1. e.g. DVR intermittently cannot record to disk, or hangs, outdoor products that aren't weatherproof, cctv that goes blank or locks into zoom mode, computer USB DVR that doesn't do what it says on the tin, etc. etc. Oh yeah, even four of the cheap 12V power adaptors I got have suddenly blown at various times and taken out the trip switch!

I got the stuff to just play around with but the biggest lesson I've learnt going forward is that there's no point setting up a cctv system if it can't be relied upon. All the 'proper' systems out there seem to just be a case of connect and forget, which is what you probably want at the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

altor wrote: »
    Cheap equipment means lower quality system, in most cases you get what you pay for.

+1

There's simply no way of installing a high quality CCTV system on the cheap. You need to spend a few quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭miss_daisy

Thinking of getting a CCTV kit for home property. Looking at the Samsung 3170 or 4220 as they say they are 'silent running' recorders and this is what is attracting me to these.

Anyone any thoughts or feedback?

Thanks

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

This one is not bad.
    Decent enough cameras & up to 100fps.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Rangi

I do not see how fitting cctv will deter anyone doing whatever they are intending to do. They will see the cameras,disguise themselves,do their deed,and you have no evidence of any use.
    I will be installing a system soon,but will be hidden cameras,then I will have more chance of usable footage.

• Advertisement
Advertisement