Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spending a penny

• 17-02-2011 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

I was in Waterford recently and was really surprised to see these little coin operated machines outside the loos. 30 cent to use them. This was in the bigger shopping centre- forget the name...had Next and Debenhams in it. So, with a toddler in desperate need to go, I paid even though other women there said to wait as someone would come out eventually. The loos were gross- paper all over the floor and generally grubby. The cheek they have of charging for substandard conditions! Then, we were in Mothercare and had to go again (toliet training!). The machine was out of order and the attendant stood there banging it. I tried to give her the 30 cent but she wouldn't accept it or let me in. We dashed to a nearby hotel instead. Really disappointed with this system. Anyone else?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

Crunchee wrote: »
    I was in Waterford recently and was really surprised to see these little coin operated machines outside the loos. 30 cent to use them. This was in the bigger shopping centre- forget the name...had Next and Debenhams in it. So, with a toddler in desperate need to go, I paid even though other women there said to wait as someone would come out eventually. The loos were gross- paper all over the floor and generally grubby. The cheek they have of charging for substandard conditions! Then, we were in Mothercare and had to go again (toliet training!). The machine was out of order and the attendant stood there banging it. I tried to give her the 30 cent but she wouldn't accept it or let me in. We dashed to a nearby hotel instead. Really disappointed with this system. Anyone else?

Have always hated that about City Square toilets. I always hate paying for the use of a toilet. It's a basic human right and also you're doing City Square a favour by shopping there, especially if you've already paid for parking in their car park. The least they can do is provide toilet facilities free of charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

It's actually an outrage if you think about it. Dundrum, Mahon Point and Newbridge shopping centres off the top of my head all have free toilets and they are spotless even the ones in Lisduggan are free and cleaner.

Must say I have never paid to use the ones in city square though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Ledger

Always hated that about city square alright.

Especially since they put the price up!:mad:

Like ziedth I've rarely paid for it, I always wait for someone to come out.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭THall04

Should send a complaint to the manager.

Centre Manager:
    Alan Weston

Assistant Centre Manager:
    Yvonne Condon Sauvage

Telephone: 051-853528
    email - info@city-square.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

If you're ever stuck - Boots have a free toilet and changing facilities for babies - just ask at the pharmacy for the key. Or use the toilets in Burger King

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Have always hated that about City Square toilets. I always hate paying for the use of a toilet. It's a basic human right and also you're doing City Square a favour by shopping there, especially if you've already paid for parking in their car park. The least they can do is provide toilet facilities free of charge.

I agree. Lets make the right to pee an election issue.

Free toilets also stops people pissing on the street. In Belgium even pubs charge you to go to the toilet with the result that Brussels smells of piss.

I think free toilets should be part of the planning guidelines. The City Square toilets are up a long stairs, so its not like everyone from all over the city would zero in on City Square to go to the toilet if it was free.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

As someone who had to clean his fair share of toilets for work I could see the benefit in charging for them.
    For example there a large amount of wineos that come in off the street and either get sick on the way, or go on the floor in the toilet and I don't mean for a pee these types would be put off by a charge and not bother to use the toilet and would move on as they wouldn't dare pay,
    the catch its in your own interest to provide free toilet facilities for your customers.

I can totally understand why McDonald's put a password on their bathrooms. As for City Square it makes no sense why they charge and yet the toilets are in the state there in if your going to charge you would expect its to help keep them clean.

Also word of warning! I used them once and under no circumstances would I let a child go to in the toilets in City Square on their own! End of!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Its not right having to pay to use the bog, only other place ive seen where you have to pay is in Heuston Station in Dublin.

jayboi wrote: »
    As someone who had to clean his fair share of toilets for work I could see the benefit in charging for them.
    For example there a large amount of wineos that come in off the street and either get sick on the way, or go on the floor in the toilet and I don't mean for a pee these types would be put off by a charge and not bother to use the toilet and would move on as they wouldn't dare pay,
    the catch its in your own interest to provide free toilet facilities for your customers.

I can totally understand why McDonald's put a password on their bathrooms. As for City Square it makes no sense why they charge and yet the toilets are in the state there in if your going to charge you would its on order to help keep them clean.

Also word of warning! I used them once and under no circumstances would I let a child go to in the toilets in City Square on their own! End of!

I wonder if winos want to climb all those stairs. As I see it toilets should be part of the service of certain places (eg cinema, pub, restaurant). I think it should be free in city square because it has such a large footfall. If people spend an afternoon shopping they deserve a free pee.

I don't know how to keep out the non-customers. I suppose if the city council provided their own toilets it would work. Anyway, I don't want people peeing outside (but I never came across this in Waterford except during Spraoi and St. Patrick's Day).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I think its outrageous how much places like City square and McDonalds pay for rates and the county council can't provide a 'free' public toilet. Instead on top of paying rates they have to offer a public toilet for the center of town.Which they are doing.

City Square is probably paying the bones of €100,000 per year to the council and providing the main toilets in the center of town (which they have to do as they have a restaurant).

I'm surprised the toilets in City square were so manky, they are usually fine, but its a nightmare trying to get the door open while steering a buggy.

The one by the clock tower is a cop out, it's away from the main shopping center and you have to pay.

Mahon pt, etc are out of town and don't have to deal with the same volume and social issues that the town center does. Its like the public toilets in Tesco and Home base in Ardkeen, even though they serve a good few customers, they are not in as much use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

Bards wrote: »
    If you're ever stuck - Boots have a free toilet and changing facilities for babies - just ask at the pharmacy for the key. Or use the toilets in Burger King

I used to use the Boots changing facility and toilet when I'd have young children with me and had been using it for a number of years. Yet when I asked a member of staff for the key she told me they did not have toilet facilities despite here seeing the toddler that was with me shouting "I need to wee".

When I pointed out the door to the toilet changing room she still refused to get the key for me as said that was for staff. I said I'd like to see the staff that wear nappies but she still refused to get the key. She told me to use the public toilet in George's Court which I didn't know existed and had to dash there in the end.

Same with Early Learning Centre, I used to use it a lot then they refused to let customers use it.

I've never seen the City Square ones in a clean condition. Jaysus the stench from them is so off-putting.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

STIG83 wrote: »
    Its not right having to pay to use the bog, only other place ive seen where you have to pay is in Heuston Station in Dublin.

They do charge, yet any time ive used them they were clean....though i dont agree with the charge if you pay you expect clean

Cabaal wrote: »
    They do charge, yet any time ive used them they were clean....though i dont agree with the charge if you pay you expect clean

Maybe I misunderstood you, but free or not they should be clean. Its a public health issue.

Maybe we should have a 'worst jacks in Waterford' thread? Geoff's would be right up there.

Advertisement