Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post Looks Like It Was Opened

Options
  • 17-02-2011 3:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks, i received a letter this morning that looks like it has been opened before it got to me
    the back is ripped and the flaps are poorly sellotaped down.

where do i stand here? can i contact an post to make a complaint or do i contact mt local sorting office (arklow)
    im pretty annoyed as im expecting some very private mail from a solicitor. i havent opened it yet

thanks for your help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,636 ✭✭✭✭28064212

First step would surely be to contact the sender and make sure they didn't send it like that? Lots of people reuse envelopes, or seal it before realising they forgot to put the damn letter in

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Some letters get ripped and damaged as they go through the postal system. It doesn't necessarily mean that they were opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

Hi folks, i received a letter this morning that looks like it has been opened before it got to me
    the back is ripped and the flaps are poorly sellotaped down.

where do i stand here? can i contact an post to make a complaint or do i contact mt local sorting office (arklow)
    im pretty annoyed as im expecting some very private mail from a solicitor. i havent opened it yet

thanks for your help
    check with sender to see if it left in that state?

take a picture of it in it's current state.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1983/en/act/pub/0024/sec0084.html#zza24y1983s84

It is an offence to open somebody else's mail but you would have to prove it was opened intentionally. In the first instance I would contact Customer Service at An Post.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Bogger77 wrote: »
    check with sender to see if it left in that state?

take a picture of it in it's current state.

+1 to this.
    Try to ascertain if the sellotape was attached by the sender.

If it was, there's not a lot you can do - sometimes letters can get scuffed / damaged.

If the sellotape wasn't attached by the sender, then you should contact An Post.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭drBill

Just to add a nice harmless possibility:

I once got a letter through our door which I opened only to discover that it wasn't addressed to me and didn't even have our address on it. It presumably reached our house by accident. So I just sellotaped it shut and stuck it into a postbox a few days later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

The sender should make contact with, and any complaint to, An Post, not the recipient. If post is damaged, An Post will normally re-seal it before delivery.

Let the sender know what happened, and they should take it from there, especially if anything is missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Don't most POs put a sticker on to show it was they who opened or resealed it? An Post did it with a opened package I got years ago.

I think drBill has hit the nail on the head.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Complaing to An Post will just give them a laugh, they don't take it seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

So a friend of mine was selling a house, she got a letter in addressed to the potential buyers and thought this was strange, when her postman friend came visiting she asked it be brought to the PO. The postman opened it straight away to see what was inside, told the friend the normal procedure for things like that was they open the letter to get the return address and send it back. Is there a chance the PO had to open it to get details from it? Maybe scrawly hand writing they couldnt read on the envelope?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭roboshatner

If it is not properly address it has to be opened to determined where it is going.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭sealgaire

28064212 wrote: »
    First step would surely be to contact the sender and make sure they didn't send it like that? Lots of people reuse envelopes, or seal it before realising they forgot to put the damn letter in

Yea once I seal a letter only to realise I had sealed the damn stamp inside! :D Woops

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I think you're over-reacting. Envelopes often get tattered in the post. Open it. Is anything missing? Is it the confidential item you were expecting?

Has any harm been done? Is so contact the sender.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

My latest Gas bill went through my neighbours letterbox and he pushed it through mine opened but unpaid:mad::mad::mad:

I sent a complaint to an post about the inattention of the post person and also highlighting the data protection issues involved. I am not expecting any reply!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

I think if a machine has damaged the letter and they have to reseal it they will post a sticker on it saying so. Got a christmas card that had a very narrow envelope resealed..sticker on the envelope saying it was damaged by a machine. The card was cut in half and wouldn't stand up! Anyway if it wasn't the sender who put the sellotape on the most likely result is that somebody opened it to find out where it was going- unreadable writing, wrong house etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Supraman

foggy_lad wrote: »
    My latest Gas bill went through my neighbours letterbox and he pushed it through mine opened but unpaid:mad::mad::mad:

I sent a complaint to an post about the inattention of the post person and also highlighting the data protection issues involved. I am not expecting any reply!

Was the letter addressed correctly ?

Is your house numbered clearly ?

I'd imagine there's a few million letters,packets and parcels to be delivered every day. I'd imagine the odd letter may go astray especially with the likes of phone, electricity , gas bills when they are all used in the same envelope there's a chance the postperson may have stuck 2 gas bills through one letterbox by accident. Not ideal to hear but certainly a possibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭LuckyMe63

You can make a complaint through their website
    http://www.anpost.ie/AnPost/MainContent/Customer+Service/cust-howwehelp.htm#damaged_post

I have had many items of sent mail go missing (5 in 2011 already) and each time I make fill out thee form & let them know. They haven't found any of the missing mail but if we don;t tell them there's a problem, they won't know!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

We get wrong post the odd time at work. Depending on who is opening the post sometimes it can be open if they don't check the address first.

It just gets stuck in an envelope, resealed and posted on.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Supraman

LuckyMe63 wrote: »
    You can make a complaint through their website
    http://www.anpost.ie/AnPost/MainContent/Customer+Service/cust-howwehelp.htm#damaged_post

I have had many items of sent mail go missing (5 in 2011 already) and each time I make fill out thee form & let them know. They haven't found any of the missing mail but if we don;t tell them there's a problem, they won't know!

Just out of interest would you send a high volume of mail ? is it sent from a company or just your own mail. There's a lot of computer typo's on envelopes addressed to computers. The mail goes to a return letter branch if it's not claimed within a certain time period it's destroyed.

There are i'd imagine hundreds of thousands of mail items in this branch. The amount of mail addressed incorrectly is ridiculous.

Advertisement