Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sourcing an American Flag for a shoot

• 17-02-2011 3:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭

I need an American Flag for a shoot, does anyone know where I might be able to get my hands on one?

The ideal would be that it would be big, like 6 or 8 feet wide.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Dara Robinson

I'll look into them, however I was hoping to get it for free. A loan or something... yea I know its a bit much but its a none commercial project. Just a college thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭City-Exile

Try Google!

No, I don't mean the search engine, I mean the company offices.
    Also, hotels such as the Hilton, will often have an American flag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Its the kind of thing a lot of pub owners might have lying around too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Ask the American embassy?

• Advertisement

cnocbui wrote: »
    Ask the American embassy?

No, they're very sensitive about their flag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

You have tried?

Yea, not someone I would contact. They would rather shoot me and suffer the consequences rather than lend me a flag for a shoot. Americans and their touchy subject :D

Some nice suggestions in there though, thanks :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

City-Exile wrote: »
    No, they're very sensitive about their flag.
    you wouldn't believe the protocol surround the flag.
    i was once told that in the army, if a flag touches the ground, it is burnt, as it is now soiled.
    edit: that may be an urban legend, but you can see the rules regarding the stars and stripes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Flag_Code#Standards_of_respect

cnocbui wrote: »
    You have tried?

Not in this country, but I have spoken to US Foreign Service staff, where this subject was discussed. If you know something to the contrary, please feel free to enlighten the rest of is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭101001

Ebay it you'll easily pick up a 5' or 6' flag for about 5-20 euro. Ill even ebay it for you, im a bit curious myself. here's one

http://cgi.ebay.ie/AMERICAN-FLAG-STARS-AND-STRIPES-5FT-X-3FT-/170596523148?pt=UK_Flags&hash=item27b8585c8c

12 euro 5ft... 8 euro of that is postage!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Lister1

I believe I have one around somewhere. Brother posted it from america so it is quite big and of good quality. I will have to dig around to see if I can locate it. You are welcome to it....if I find it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

you wouldn't believe the protocol surround the flag.
    i was once told that in the army, if a flag touches the ground, it is burnt, as it is now soiled.
    edit: that may be an urban legend, but you can see the rules regarding the stars and stripes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Flag_Code#Standards_of_respect

Not a myth, same rules apply to the Irish flag. Along with a host of others you would find, um, out there?

OP, try a costume shop or a local theatre company? Your college could also have one from a past reception?

101001 and Lister1 your both legends! Thanks for the offers and info. Lister1 if you could get ur hands on that it would be amazing. I would really appreciate it mate. And 101001, thats a genius idea, never thought of ebay. So cheap also, very interesting. Getting a new lens next week, might throw that in also if Lister1 cant find his :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Paddy@CIRL wrote: »
    Not a myth, same rules apply to the Irish flag.
    according to the link i posted, it is a myth - but burning is the 'funeral' for flags too tattered to use further.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭trooney

Have you tried one of the middle east embassies? I'm sure they'd have a stock of them to hand out to burn at mass gatherings! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

according to the link i posted, it is a myth - but burning is the 'funeral' for flags too tattered to use further.

Sorry for OT OP, but :

http://www.taoiseach.gov.ie/eng/Youth_Zone/About_the_Constitution,_Flag,_Anthem_Harp/The_National_Flag-RTF.rtf

My aul lad is ex-military and they would burn a flag if it touched the ground. It's definitely not a myth. I don't know if it is only in exceptional circumstances or if it is only a thing done in the distant past but it was something that was done.

Myth Plausible ? :P

i think we're at cross purposes, i had meant the stars and stripes, not the tricolour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Lister1

No sign of the Flag when I looked today but girlfriend reckons she will be able to find it tomorrow....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85 ✭✭steelydan99

The american flag is not suppose to touch the ground, I have been on a few photographers forums over the years and have seen two guys get ripped to shreds when they posted a model wrapped in an american flag (both touched the ground).

The irish flag is not supposed to be flown between sunset and sunrise. I know this too as a security guy at work got a lot of grief from a few guys after he left the irish flag out over night.

• Advertisement
Advertisement