Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Euthanasia advocate urges courage over legislation

Options
  • 17-02-2011 3:47pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Article in today's IT.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2011/0217/1224290026783.html

I also heard this guy talking on the Newstalk this morning (he's giving a workshop today in Dublin).
    There was also a debate last night in UCD.

While in principle I'm an agreement that legislation needs to allow for this in certain circumstances, one of the people on the show this morning raised the point that it might lead to some terminally ill people feeling pressure to end their lives. An interesting point, and worth mentioning I thought.

Thrown a poll in for good measure!

Would you support legislation allowing euthanasia? 67 votes

Not under any circumstances.
    0%
    Yes, under the strictest conditions where each case is assessed independently.
    1%
    mdebets 1 vote
    Yes, it should be available to everyone.
    73%
    Rev Hellfiresickleseamus[Deleted User]BeruthielMrPuddingDapperGentrobindchunklefictionhumanjiaxereoin5OtaconlegspinDadesbad2daboneCerebralCortexstrobeKazDubGenghiz Cohen 49 votes
    Yes, both voluntary and involuntary.
    25%
    CorinthianGO_BearMatthewVIIpanda100cavedavePushtrakSondervalNailzaidan24326Mark HamillMarcus.AureliuscheckyabadselfkylithPeterIanStakerTin Foil Hatsteve9859Count Duckula 17 votes
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,344 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the metro covered this last week - the headline on the front page was 'Death Laptop arrives in Ireland'.
    i reckon death is more of an iphone user, myself.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

the metro covered this last week - the headline on the front page was 'Death Laptop arrives in Ireland'.
    I think the system is hooked up to a laptop, and the 'suicidee' has to ultimately press "Enter" after a prompt that says you will die if you do. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

I voted yes with the stipulation that there would be a very strong code of medical ethnics ensuring people are not euthanised senselessly. :) I think this is pretty much going to be a given anyway, but just reinforcing it before some pro lifer sees me as something akin to a cold hearted murderer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Count Duckula

i reckon death is more of an iphone user, myself.

He's an Apple fan, that's for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Dades wrote: »
    I think the system is hooked up to a laptop, and the 'suicidee' has to ultimately press "Enter" after a prompt that says you will die if you do. :pac:

Reminds me of the 'ban' thread amp used to run in The Cuckoo's Nest. I wonder how many people will press Enter just to see if they die!?

Anyway, while I agree euthanasia needs to be legalised, very strict rules need to be put in place to avoid abuse of the system.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Waking-Dreams

Dades wrote: »
    While in principle I'm an agreement that legislation needs to allow for this in certain circumstances, one of the people on the show this morning raised the point that it might lead to some terminally ill people feeling pressure to end their lives. An interesting point, and worth mentioning I thought.

It's interesting alright. I would imagine they might feel “pressure” which could stem from not wanting to have to go through the process of a slow (albeit medicated) death. Even though morphine can alleviate pain, some might want to shuffle off this mortal coil while they still have their current health and mental faculties fully intact. I don’t know.

If someone is suggesting they would feel some kind of “pressure” as in, “c’mon, you’re dead anyway, so stop wasting what little time you have and get off this planet already – you’re taking up valuable hospital resources” I can’t think of that being anything other than a caricature scenario.

Many who contemplate volunatry death/suicide often think to themselves that by taking their own lives it would be better for everyone else, so this is not something that euthanasia will bring about. It's already out there. At least by reviewing cases, people could be psychologically assessed or whatever else has to be taken into account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Count Duckula

The pressure would come about, I suspect, when a person knows they'll slowly deteriorate and require more and more looking after, and don't want to put their family through that. So whilst they might not want to die per se, they don't want to burden their family and so will feel internal pressure to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

I was a little stuck between poll options 2 and 3 tbh. Went for the third option because:

While I agree that there would have to be a strict code of medical ethics and all of that, I wouldn't want it tied up in too much red tape either, where going down that road (of euthanasia) might be so much hassle and involve so much meddling that it would hardly be worth it. So leave it to the medics to decide if someone is of sound mind to make that decision, and keep the social workers and the lawyers out of it.

And please please the minute a bishop opens his mouth about this tell him to close it. Stick to saying mass your grace.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

WRT legalization, Oregon is one of the few US states that allows assisted suicide. From the law's wiki page:
    wikipedia wrote:
    Under the law, a capable adult Oregon resident who has been diagnosed, by a physician, with a terminal illness that will kill the patient within six months may request in writing, from his or her physician, a prescription for a lethal dose of medication for the purpose of ending the patient's life. Exercise of the option under this law is voluntary and the patient must initiate the request. Any physician, pharmacist or healthcare provider who has moral objections may refuse to participate.

The request must be confirmed by two witnesses, at least one of whom is not related to the patient, is not entitled to any portion of the patient's estate, is not the patient's physician, and is not employed by a health care facility caring for the patient. After the request is made, another physician must examine the patient's medical records and confirm the diagnosis. The patient must be determined to be free of a mental condition impairing judgment. If the request is authorized, the patient must wait at least fifteen days and make a second oral request before the prescription may be written. The patient has a right to rescind the request at any time. Should either physician have concerns about the patient's ability to make an informed decision, or feel the patient's request may be motivated by depression or coercion, the patient must be referred for a psychological evaluation.

The law protects doctors from liability for providing a lethal prescription for a terminally ill, competent adult in compliance with the statute's restrictions. Participation by physicians, pharmacists, and health care providers is voluntary. The law also specifies a patient's decision to end his or her life shall not "have an effect upon a life, health, or accident insurance or annuity policy."

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

aidan24326 wrote: »
    I was a little stuck between poll options 2 and 3 tbh.

Me too.
    I'd like it freely available to anyone who wants it, but I'd rather not have it so available that Nurse Ratched types start killing off people in old folks homes.

• Advertisement

Beruthiel wrote: »
    I'd rather not have it so available that Nurse Ratched types start killing off people in old folks homes.
    I watched One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest again recently and came away with the impression that Nurse Ratched's bad rep is not wholly deserved...

Meanwhile back on topic...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,344 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

Beruthiel wrote: »
    Me too.
    I'd like it freely available to anyone who wants it, but I'd rather not have it so available that Nurse Ratched types start killing off people in old folks homes.

I also was torn between 2 and 3, but having said that, the availability or lack thereof of euthanasia will not fully stop Dr Shipman types from preying on the vulnerable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

robindch wrote: »
    WRT legalization, Oregon is one of the few US states that allows assisted suicide. From the law's wiki page:

Sounds 'perfect' to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

Probably should have checked first, by involuntary I assume you mean, for example, a family turning off the life-support of a brain-dead person....ie. the person cannot consent, not they are having their wishes ignored.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Probably should have checked first, by involuntary I assume you mean, for example, a family turning off the life-support of a brain-dead person....ie. the person cannot consent, not they are having their wishes ignored.

I wouldn't count that as euthanasia tbh.

Actually, I just threw that in on the off-chance we had any Logan's Run fans. :pac:

I guess that's you, ChocolateSauce!

Bollox. Accidentally voted for option #4 instead of #3.

Oh well. Involuntary euthanasia for all!

Advertisement