Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cake Baking Crisis...

Options
  • 17-02-2011 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭

Hi there and my question today is:
    Why do my cakes always burn just around the edges...
    I dont use cheapo cookware, always grease the tin, and my cakes come out gorgeous except for the burnt edges!
    I use the fan setting on the oven.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I mentioned it in the other oven thread - tinfoil protectors. Some ovens just aren't great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭BengaLover

Ah ok, thanks. Tin foil as in lining the tin? Will go see if i can find the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭captain P

BengaLover wrote: »
    Ah ok, thanks. Tin foil as in lining the tin? Will go see if i can find the thread.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056182883

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭BengaLover

Got it, cheers..

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭PaddyJules

When I am baking cakes in my fan oven I wrap 4-5 sheets of newspaper around the outside of the cake tin and secure with selotape or string. This prevents the outside of the cake cooking too quickly. Just increase the cooking time slightly so that it cooks through. It guaranteed to prevent crusty cakes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭clouds

I would have thought newspaper would burn

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭PaddyJules

No it doesnt burn. I would usually bake a cake at 140 degrees in my fan oven which would be 160 degrees in a normal oven. Paper doesnt burn at all but make sure you use about 5 sheets. Probably not a great idea to use this method in a gas oven !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭clouds

I will give it a go next time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭mw3guc

PaddyJules wrote: »
    When I am baking cakes in my fan oven I wrap 4-5 sheets of newspaper around the outside of the cake tin and secure with selotape or string. This prevents the outside of the cake cooking too quickly. Just increase the cooking time slightly so that it cooks through. It guaranteed to prevent crusty cakes.

I've always used newspaper layers around my tins too - even in a gas oven - especially useful for rich fruit cakes. If you're worried about burning you could dampen the sheets a bit but it's never happened to mine. I use a paper clip to keep the layers closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭tscul32

if you have a multifunction oven with a conventional oven setting then just use that instead of the fan setting. Fan is good for breads but conventional is better for cakes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement