Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raw bone/meat q

• 17-02-2011 4:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭

sorry if this is a completly stupid question

gave our pup a raw bone to nibble on (little scamp is full of energy and kongs and toys are only entertaining him for a few mins at a time )

within minutes he had the whole kitchen floor covered in blood :eek:

put the bone out the back door-which i leave open so he can go in and out all day-but he keeps dragging it back in to the house

my question is -is it ok to give him the bones in the house or is it completly yuk (i wash the floors twice a day anyway). I dont want to put him out the back to eat it and close the door as he is only little and the weather is crap anyway

do i need to get a different floor cleaner ie. an anti bac one?if so can you recommend one ?

thanks in advance for any advice;)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

When I first read your post I was scared you meant blood all over the floor from the dogs mouth as in he was injured from eating the bone, but after a reread I see you are talking about blood from the actual bone, Its is ok to feed him bone as long as it is raw and uncooked, cook bones may splinter and cause problems if you dog ingests these, with all the blood you mentioned I take it they are raw bones you are giving so well done.

Washing the bone or letting it steep in water maybe and option to cut down on the blood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭EraseAndRewind

oh god sorry about that it WAS blood from the bone i really need to re read my posts:o

i meant to say as well that his paws are covered in blood too and he jumps up on the kids/couches/beds etc so im feeling a little icky about that

he seems to really enjoy the bones and they keep him occupied for a while also i have a very good local butcher who gives me meat for the dog for free

he is 14 weeks now and eats red mills leader puppy kibble-i also give a cooked breast of chicken or cooked steak or tin of tuna some days also

ive read on here that hearts etc are good to feed dogs should i start feeding him them also?

sorry but im completly clueless:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭dahat

First off,never feed and RAW and kibble in the same 24 hr period.
    They have different digestion times,kibble 15 hrs approx and RAW 5/6 hrs approx.Mixing both can cause various problems with the digestion system as it is operating at two different levels at once..

Heart meat is really good and cheap though beware when starting to use it as your dog can get black loose stool at first,use small amounts to start off.
    If starting off a RAW diet use chicken for a week or so,thighs,breast on the bone etc...your dog will love it...
    Plenty feed a 50/50 RAW kibble diet,just be aware of pro's and cons of it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

Personally I don't let my lot eat big bones in the house cos I think it's yuk, but then I'm an ex-microbiologist so have a germ 'thing'!!! My lot get bones outside and raw food chopped so they can eat it inside. If someone does bring bones in then I was the floor straight away, particularily since my baby arrived and is now licking the floors and walls (guess where she gets that from :p)

Personally I don't let my lot eat big bones in the house cos I think it's yuk, but then I'm an ex-microbiologist so have a germ 'thing'!!! My lot get bones outside and raw food chopped so they can eat it inside. If someone does bring bones in then I was the floor straight away, particularily since my baby arrived and is now licking the floors and walls (guess where she gets that from :p)

Best leave them outside alright,all things considered really..

Being an ex-microbiologist what disinfectant do you use?currently just use plain old dettol,green bottle, for my "butcher shed",seen a white vinegar/water solution pop up in a few forums,just as good or better???it gets pretty messy when i am preparing food items.

• Advertisement

Dettol would be grand alright. Most pathogens including salmonella are actually easy to kill so for food prep areas anything anti-bac is perfect. I use a mix of anti-bac spray for the bacteria and flash for any grime.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭TonyFella

I give my dog a few raw bones/meet of dear/cows once each two weeks. hes 6 months old ,I wouldn't feed your lad too much raw food since hes only 14 weeks old it will be hard for his liver/stomach to break down and filter such rich meat you want to be thinking of a raw diet when your dog is getting close to a year old. Get some chicken wings and give him one a week only 5 quid for 15 in superquinn. Or an egg (cooked in a microwave) mixed up with his nuts really good for them extra boost of protein.

You can start feeding a raw diet from any age, it doesn't need to be from a year old. Start off with the easier digestible things like chicken wings and necks, they're easy to break up and down. When the bigger teeth come in and the dog is older you can start introducing weight bearing bones like legs and thighs. With any pup you should change food slowly but I know plenty of dogs brought up on raw from 8 weeks old

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Fed my lad on raw from 12 weeks - it was the only diet I could find that put the weight on him, built up his condition and helped his immune system from the state he started off in.

One chicken wing a week - lol - my guy (large breed mutt) was getting two or three a day.

Now I'll feed my guy raw some days, and tinned / kibble others depending on the heat of the day, how busy I am, so on. He's still in good condition, with good weight, a good coat, so on.

Just observe hygiene the way you would for your own food. It also appears to me that in feeding my dog raw, his system is better able to deal with foods generally. He copes well with everything he's fed, and occasionally he'll unearth some hideous treasure from the garden where he's buried it and eat it with absolutely no ill effects.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭TonyFella

Fed my lad on raw from 12 weeks - it was the only diet I could find that put the weight on him, built up his condition and helped his immune system from the state he started off in.

One chicken wing a week - lol - my guy (large breed mutt) was getting two or three a day.

Now I'll feed my guy raw some days, and tinned / kibble others depending on the heat of the day, how busy I am, so on. He's still in good condition, with good weight, a good coat, so on.

Just observe hygiene the way you would for your own food. It also appears to me that in feeding my dog raw, his system is better able to deal with foods generally. He copes well with everything he's fed, and occasionally he'll unearth some hideous treasure from the garden where he's buried it and eat it with absolutely no ill effects.

LOL you feed your dog tinned food that says a lot, One chicken wing would be for a small dog the op never said what dog it is. Raw diets have conflicting stories everybody has there own thoughts on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

dahat wrote: »
    First off,never feed and RAW and kibble in the same 24 hr period.
    They have different digestion times,kibble 15 hrs approx and RAW 5/6 hrs approx.Mixing both can cause various problems with the digestion system as it is operating at two different levels at once..

Heart meat is really good and cheap though beware when starting to use it as your dog can get black loose stool at first,use small amounts to start off.
    If starting off a RAW diet use chicken for a week or so,thighs,breast on the bone etc...your dog will love it...
    Plenty feed a 50/50 RAW kibble diet,just be aware of pro's and cons of it..

That is a ridiculous theory. Period.

Graces7 wrote: »
    That is a ridiculous theory. Period.

Not a theory,it is fact that both foods have different digestion rates.

RAW foods pass through quicker,kibble a whole lot slower which can lead to infections from the RAW food being slowed down passing through from the kibble meal leading to increased possiblites of infections as RAW has alot more bacteria than processed kibble

Just gave my puppy a chicken neck, in 2 seconds it was gone, hope he is ok I thought he would take his time with it.

Just gave my puppy a chicken neck, in 2 seconds it was gone, hope he is ok I thought he would take his time with it.

What breed of dog?

Personally i would only feed chicken necks to toy/small breed dogs as for larger breeds they can be a choke hazard.
    If you are feeding a large breed puppy why not quarter a whole chicken for him?That will slow him down.
    If it is a toy/small breed pup and he is a dog who gulps his food quickly the larger pieces will slow him down also.

He is a large breed, Alaskan Malamute. I was talking to a butcher yesterday about Chicken Carcus and he said he will try and put some in the freezer for me during the week and will give them to me for free, good guy. But from my research too much bone and not enough meat is also not too good for our dogs so I may need to add a little extra meat when I start feeding the carcusses.

He is a large breed, Alaskan Malamute. I was talking to a butcher yesterday about Chicken Carcus and he said he will try and put some in the freezer for me during the week and will give them to me for free, good guy. But from my research too much bone and not enough meat is also not too good for our dogs so I may need to add a little extra meat when I start feeding the carcusses.

I would keep him away from necks and other small bone..
    http://eskimohuskies.com/

Here you will find all the info needed for your dog,really good site

Advertisement