Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mass Cards

• 17-02-2011 5:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,417 ✭✭✭✭

Hi. I was just wondering if I could enquire about Mass Cards. I know very little. All I know is that if someone died, my parents would have to get a Mass Card (I'm an Atheist, have been for a while).

I was just wondering, what's so special about mass cards? Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you have to pay the priest to sign it or buy signed ones? Why do they have to be signed, and is it considered an insult if you don't send one? And what is the point of them?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭georgieporgy

Giving a Mass card means you have asked a priest to offer Mass for the repose of the soul of the deceased person. That means a lot to catholics ,but it means nothing to everybody else.

First buy the card (same price as a christmas card, cheaper if you get it from the church office). You pay the priest to say the Mass. That is known as his stipend and in many countries that is his daily wage. When he signs it (his secretary may stamp it on his behalf) he will also mark it in his diary to ensure the Mass is said for the right intention.

buying presigned cards from newsagents is not the same thing. They are generally fake and no Mass will be said.

if you want to know more about the meaning or value of Mass, this link offers an excellent explanation;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UabMF-8uXxg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,417 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Ah, I didn't know about the Mass part. That makes more sense. Okay, thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

That means a lot to catholics ,but it means nothing to everybody else.
    That's not true, I've received mass cards and can gratefully accept them with the intent in which they where given.
    I have also on occasion sent them where the effected individual would appreciate the sentiment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭georgieporgy

That's not true, I've received mass cards and can gratefully accept them with the intent in which they where given.
    I have also on occasion sent them where the effected individual would appreciate the sentiment.

point taken, maybe i should have omitted that line.

Advertisement