Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Brothers Karamazov

Options
  • 17-02-2011 5:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭

Just looking for the advice of the board about how readable this book is? and also what is the best translation to get? Currently reading Crime and Punishment translated by David McDuff and find it brilliant. I have heard that the brothers is a lot slower. Is this true? To show you what types of books I like, the last two books that I have read are Blood Meridian which I thought was great and The Grapes of Wrath which I hated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭wilmer mclean

Thanks for the reply. don't mind strugling through parts of it if the over all plot is good.The translation of c @ p I am reading is penguin so I think I might stick with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

I read the Pevear and Volokhonsky translation. They're a native english speaker who knows russian and a native russian speaker who knows english. I can't compare it to any other translations, but I found it grand.

I thought it was one of the best books I've ever read, prefered it to Crime and Punishment. It probably is slower than C&P, and it took me a lot longer to 'get into it' than with C&P. Still an amazing read, definitely worth giving a go

Crucifix wrote: »
    I read the Pevear and Volokhonsky translation. They're a native english speaker who knows russian and a native russian speaker who knows english. I can't compare it to any other translations, but I found it grand.

I thought it was one of the best books I've ever read, prefered it to Crime and Punishment. It probably is slower than C&P, and it took me a lot longer to 'get into it' than with C&P. Still an amazing read, definitely worth giving a go

Thanks for the advice. I got Notes From The Underground yesterday the Garnett translation, going to read it after I finish C@P and decide what translation to get then having read two.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Pablo_

To show you what types of books I like, the last two books that I have read are Blood Meridian which I thought was great and The Grapes of Wrath which I hated.

Not many seem to have read Blood Meridian, great read. Long and conceptual but not not overly how-pedantic-am-I by the author. Another book you might like is The Fixer by bernard malamud

• Advertisement

Pablo_ wrote: »
    Not many seem to have read Blood Meridian, great read. Long and conceptual but not not overly how-pedantic-am-I by the author. Another book you might like is The Fixer by bernard malamud

Thanks for the reply will give a look into it. Have a few books to get through first. Just ordered another McCarthy book Suttree a couple of days ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭D!armu!d

Crucifix wrote: »
    I read the Pevear and Volokhonsky translation.

Would second this, their translations are always first class.

Advertisement