Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dooley or Hillery?

• 17-02-2011 5:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭

Political analysts reckon that Fianna Fail will manage to retain one seat in De Valera's old stronghold.

I appreciate that alot of Clare people will not he voting FF this time around but which of the two candidates, in your view has the best chance of being elected?

Dooley or Hillery?

Dooley or Hillery 9 votes

Dooley
    0% 0 votes
    Hillery
    100% 9 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭golfball37

Probably Hillery I'd say? He'll get the West Clare vote whereas Dooleys East Clare base is been eaten into by McNamara. I've a feeling Mulcahy or Breen will finish just ahead of him though after about 8 counts with 3 elected.

I will be eternally ashamed should either of them [FF] get elected however.

In future Dála John Hillery may well make a fine public representative for Clare but FF do not deserve a representation from us this time. As for Timmy, well his voting record on Ennis hospital & Shannon airport should ensure well deserved ridicule if we ever return him at any point in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭NewApproach

Unfortunately, it's extremely unlikely Dooley won't get in.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Poll added

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Hawk Wing 2

Disgustingly I'd say Dooley, Hillary, on a personal level seems to be a nice guy with some principles, that rules him out with most Clare Fianna Fail voters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

Either of them would be a disgrace.

The Clare Electorate should be ashamed if they put either in the Dail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

It's like choosing which kneecap you want to be shot in.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Radiosurfer

Fully agree with the last two posts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,470 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

interestingly from the Boards.ie/vote poll. when Hillary gets eliminated, only 6 of his 21 votes transfer to Dooley.

If Dooley gets knocked out, I'd suggest most of his votes will transfer to Hillary, but it doesn't appear to work the other way around.

Here's hoping Hillary gets knocked out first

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Hawk Wing 2

CptSternn wrote: »
    It's like choosing which kneecap you want to be shot in.
    :D

Akrasia wrote: »
    interestingly from the Boards.ie/vote poll. when Hillary gets eliminated, only 6 of his 21 votes transfer to Dooley.

If Dooley gets knocked out, I'd suggest most of his votes will transfer to Hillary, but it doesn't appear to work the other way around.

Here's hoping Hillary gets knocked out first

I just had a look at the results in that so far and I'll never understand how Dooley is doing so well. 47 people have voted FF in that poll so far. That's 47 people intelligent enough to use a computer still voting FF. What would they have to do to shed that support, wreck the whole country and sell our sovereignty? Oh, wait...

• Advertisement

I just had a look at the results in that so far and I'll never understand how Dooley is doing so well. 47 people have voted FF in that poll so far. That's 47 people intelligent enough to use a computer still voting FF. What would they have to do to shed that support, wreck the whole country and sell our sovereignty? Oh, wait...

I actually know people, some what intelligent, who I have spoke with recently in town who are voting FF. They claim all this mess is the doing of a few rogue party members and is no reflection on FF. They also believe running Hillary shows this as he had 'nothing to do' with the mess, therefore should be elected as only FF can fix this sort of situtation.

It shows how diluted some people are and how willing to blindly follow any candidate the party they swear allegiance to puts forward.

With that mentality still lingering, don't expect any real change in this county or country any time soon.

Let's not forget FF still hold many council seats around the county here, head up all the local quangos, and run many a news outlet in the county. Cronyism still goes a long way in local politics, and that will play out on a national level in some manner sure.

In fairness, the people of Ireland deserve everything that's coming their way. The majority of people in this country voted Bertie/FF in 3 times (!!!) based on pure greed. Nobody cared what happened to anybody else once the money kept dropping in their account each month and their house price kept rising. Now the chickens are coming home to roost. Make major life/political decisions based on greed and this is exactly where you end up. Watching your kids emigrate and seeing your country slide into oblivion.

I hope everyone that put Bertie and his cronies into 14 uninterrupted years of rule fully understand that it's THEM who's responsible for all this, not the politicians. Leave a child beside an open jar of sweets and then complain when they help themselves? Get real.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 520 ✭✭✭5h4mr0(k

I think they're doing doing the monkeys in room with computers (can't find typewriters) experiment, and sadly some of the monkeys took part in drug trials* previously. These account for the bulk of Doolittle's vote.

* they were found not guilty.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

In fairness, the people of Ireland deserve everything that's coming their way. The majority of people in this country voted Bertie/FF in 3 times (!!!) based on pure greed.

Whatever about the rest of your post, but this bit is ridiculous. There are hundreds of thousands of people in this country who never voted for Fianna Fáil et al. There are generations of children, teenagers and young people who will be dealing with these problems for decades to come through no fault of their own. Think before you post, honestly.

Berty Ahern was not voted in by "the majority of people in this country". He was voted into Government by the majority of his constituency.

Whatever about the rest of your post, but this bit is ridiculous. There are hundreds of thousands of people in this country who never voted for Fianna Fáil et al. There are generations of children, teenagers and young people who will be dealing with these problems for decades to come through no fault of their own. Think before you post, honestly.

Berty Ahern was not voted in by "the majority of people in this country". He was voted into Government by the majority of his constituency.

I would agree with Radiosurfer there.

People voted in FF, so they in turn voted in Bertie each time as well. It's not like it was a shock when he was re-elected. A vote for FF was a vote for Bertie.

And yes, it was in many cases based on sheer greed. No one wants to change horses during a race when they are winning.

That's the kind of flawed logic that has us where we are. Anybody who thinks that voting for their local man (who happened to be FF) meant they never voted for Bertie Ahern is plain wrong. People need to cop on and realise that the voting system in this country is very powerful. Each person has a responsibility to the country when they vote, not their village/street/local GAA club.

Ok people, check this out:
    http://anncroninge11.wordpress.com/

Start by watching the video, which is funny. Then check out her policies, particularly on political reform and public service. I am still a floating voter (well, ABFF) and today I was seriously considering spoiling my vote as a legitimate protest to the system and politicians I have to choose from. But then I came across this womans website (about half an hour ago). She's making me think twice. I agree with a lot of what she has to say, particularly on reform (I think abolishing the Seanad is knee-jerk populism. It serves a vitally important function and should be reformed, not scrapped). I am now seriously considering voting for her. The stuff about the kind of alliance she mentions is also interesting. A particular form of political party for our times? Perhaps. A loose affiliation that stick together to reach a common goal, as opposed to the tribal bollox we've got now, where they stick together by hook or by crook (crooks mostly).
    Thought I'd share, as it brings a bit of light to this (thus far) very dark thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭rainbowdash

Whats the best way to vote against FF?

I take it Breen and Carey are shoeins at this stage, so should people vote McNamara 1 and Mulcahy 2 and leave it at that, or visa versa?

Presumably Mulcahy will transfer well from the other 2 FGers.

If you really wanted to screw any particular person or party, the way the system here works, you should vote EVERYONE BUT THEM. What that means is you write 1,2,3,4..etc., all the way down and just leave no number for the person or party you really don't want in. What then happens is that your vote stays in the system and goes to each person in the election apart from, obviously, the ones you didn't give any number to at all. It's the most spiteful way of voting. Just voting 1,2,3 means that once those votes are used up, your out of the game. If you go all the way down to 10 or 11 and just leave off the person or party you dislike then your vote keeps working for everyone but them right through to the end.

Advertisement