Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggest my new portable RPG

Options
  • 17-02-2011 6:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭

So unfortunately I have to move back in with my parents for the next few months. As such I am going to be taking an hours bus journey to and from work.
    I have both a DS and PSP and was thinking that a bus trip is a good time to sink into a game. I want an RPG as 1.) I like RPG's 2.) finances are tight and they are usually good value for money.

So I was looking at

PSP

Shin megami Tensei: Persona 3 portable
    Tactics ogre: Blah blah blah
    Valkyria Chronicles 2

DS
    Dragon quest 9
    Shin megami tensei: devils survivor
    might and magic:clash of heroes

I also have an ipod so woudl consider one of those, although the price is probably better suited to my wallet, they controls would really need to be snappy and function properly which is usually a problem with it.

I only really want to start with one game, but I am having a hard time to choose. Obviously its a personal preference thing....just wondering what your personal preference would be? Also if you have any other titles I should consider?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Da Bounca

I enjoyed Dragon Quest 9. Proper little rpg.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

Can't go wrong with any of the ones you've listed, but since you've mentioned Devil Survivor you might also consider SMT Strange Journey for the ds. Infinite space and knights in the nightmare as well (haven't played much of that one yet though, and the battle system would be a bit hectic for me early in the mornings or after a long day)

You might well have already played them, but the pokemon games are great little rpgs.
    And finally: radiant historia is coming out in the states next week and looks fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Chrono trigger DS

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You can't go wrong with any of those. I'd recommend DQ6 which is out soon and DQ4 and 5 if you haven't already done so. There's also the etrian Odyssey series and SMT: Strange Journey. On Tuesday Radiant Historia is out on the DS in hte states, it's meant to be amazing. Also from the states try and pick up Jeanne D'Arc on the PSP.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,478 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

As said, most of the choices are excellent!

I'll put in a word for Disgaea, which is available on both DS and PSP. Brilliant and very funny strategy RPG. Have good a lot of fun out of it on PSP.

Of the lot you'd mention, I'd say Persona 3 Portable would be your best bet - seventy absorbing hours no doubt. DQ9 is equally great, more traditional if you're into your old school JRPGs with some pleasant modern twists.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 901 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover_53

Mini Ninjas for the DS. Great little game to pass the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Golden Sun

Havent played the new one yet, but I hear it's good. First 2 were awesome

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

thanks everyone for their input. I am leaning towards DQ9 or Persona.....and currently persona is edging it.

Retro: I am curious why suggest DQ6 over DQ9. Is this a FF7 situation where its considered the best of the series?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

sarumite wrote: »
    Retro: I am curious why suggest DQ6 over DQ9. Is this a FF7 situation where its considered the best of the series?

Well firstly FF7 is no where near the best in the series but that's another thread! :)

I'm not suggesting DQ6 over DQ9, I've played neither but I love DQ and DQ9 seems to be the far better game. I'm just letting you know it's out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Banjo Fella

Seconding Golden Sun: Dark Dawn, it's a great RPG. You don't even need to have played the original two to enjoy it, as their plot is conveniently summarised near the start while you play through this tutorial. It's a little theme-park that lets you experience the now legendary journey of the original games' heroes. :p

If you like Kingdom Hearts, you'll probably get a lot of enjoyment out of the awkwardly-titled Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days. It gives you a lot more insight into one of the main characters introduced in KH2, and the mission-based structure would probably make it perfect for short sessions on a bus journey. Haven't played it myself, but I've been told that it's great craic. There's also Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep, which is supposedly even better. They're definitely not good points of entry if you haven't tried the series before, though, what with the spoilers and the confusion and the brain-implosion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Kurley

I've played and loved DQIX, it's fantastic. I put in over 100 hours in the course of finishing the main story before finally putting it down (to return to Golden Sun on the GBA). I plan to return to it as there is still lots to do.

If you like Kingdom Hearts, you'll probably get a lot of enjoyment out of the awkwardly-titled Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days.

Have to totally recommend against this sham of a game. Boring as all hell and the extra exposition it adds is just terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

As said, most of the choices are excellent!

I'll put in a word for Disgaea, which is available on both DS and PSP. Brilliant and very funny strategy RPG. Have good a lot of fun out of it on PSP.

Of the lot you'd mention, I'd say Persona 3 Portable would be your best bet - seventy absorbing hours no doubt. DQ9 is equally great, more traditional if you're into your old school JRPGs with some pleasant modern twists.

I'd go for Digaea on the PSP (played it on the DS too, but it felt more confortable on the PSP).

The structure of the game makes it perfect for pick up and play and the writing is ace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭Mr Trade In

Lunar: Silver Star Harmony,it's a remake of Lunar for Ps1.It is €20 on the PSN and you can download a demo.

Advertisement