Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hassled by neighbourhood dog

• 17-02-2011 5:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Our neighbors in the estate have a small dog. Now I don't know the breed, no bigger then a terrier.

He barks and lunges for me everytime I pass. The owners sometimes chain him up and he's straining to get to me as I stroll past.

I've been bitten three times now, drawing blood on two occasions.
    The owners apologize, I let rip and swear murder at the dog, they apologize again but nothing changes.
    "And what if your dog bit a child and not me?" I'd asked
    Just get a shrug of the shoulders in return

Happened just today walking back from the shops. Two women and the dog on a leash, he was straining to reach me, the lady made a half hearted attempt to pull him back and he reached over and bit me.

I've been looking over the county council website but the dog control section only deals with strays and having a dog licence and use of the pound.
    The dog isn't a stray and has an owner.

And it isn't a restricted breed, just a vicious little terrier with a fondness for my legs and ankles.

I thought about going to the gardai but that seems overkill and they might not take me seriously. Would they laugh me out of the station over a little terrier? :)
    Would to do? Will I'm angry but I'm not that worried but it'll be a child someday who gets bitten and that's more serious.
    Would the council take it away and destroy the dog?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Moved from PI. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Report them to the dog warden, that is unacceptable. There is such a thing as a dangerous dog in the law here, it has nothing to be with the restricted breeds, but refers to a dog like the one you describe.

It doesn't matter how big or small the dog is, and it doesn't matter that it is biting an adult, not a child, it is unacceptable that you should have to put up with this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I'm in the exact same situation, walking in a rural area and this one little jack russel is out to kill me, he even followed me home one day. He has ripped several pairs of pants and drawn blood on 5 occasions. I told the farmers that own him if they don't sort him out that I will do something about it (not harm the dog physically but call the council) but call still haven't done it. Worse Is he is always left roaming, really annoys me that people don't care. They say he's a guard dog only doing his job,and fair enough if I had been on their property but he attacked me when I was about 500 meters away...would love to see peoples advice on this!

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Crasp

<snip> - no animal cruelty, thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I am amazed that two people have posted that they have been bitten & done nothing. Report it to the Guards & get a solicitor to sue the owners in the District Court on a no win no fee basis.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

Report it to the dog warden. Go down to your local Garda station & do the same.
    That is just totally unacceptable OP & it's not something you should have to put up with.

Advertisement