Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OK I have uploaded an index.html now what?

Options
  • 17-02-2011 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

Hi,

I am relatively familiar with HTML and CSS and have finished a page and labeled index.html and want it to be the first page once the domain is typed in.

I imagined once i accessed the remote server and put the index.html file on the server it would automatically place that as the first site representing the domain, but nothing has happened!

I reckon I could do a redirect, so it would be something like if someone typed www.example.com they would get www.example.com/index.html but I would rather if it was the purely the former.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I understand I can't mention the host but I hopefully they are not the problem

Thanks!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Hi,

I am relatively familiar with HTML and CSS and have finished a page and labeled index.html and want it to be the first page once the domain is typed in.

I imagined once i accessed the remote server and put the index.html file on the server it would automatically place that as the first site representing the domain, but nothing has happened!

That is what happens, but there are 2 things to check.

1) Sometimes Windows adds a "hidden" file suffix, making the actual filename "index.html.txt", which won't work

2) What folders are on your FTP server ? There's normally one called "www" or "public_html" or "html", which is where the file needs to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,253 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Does this link work for you? www.example.com/index.html

If so, then this will rule out the two possibilities that Liam Byrne has mentioned. The problem could be that Directory Indexes are not turned on, and/or index.html is not configured as an index page.

Advertisement