Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The problem of Comreg

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭SeaSide

Name one properly functioning regulator in Ireland

go on - i dare ya

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

Well well. It seems that a release has come to the fore here that actually does not properly define regulatory capture at all, and is designed to call on ComReg to appoint someone from IOFFL to the Consumer Panel.

In terms of the factual back up for the contentions that ComReg artificially keeps prices up, you might like to give some back-up in terms of that statement.

Perhaps citing the forms of regulation and recently consulted upon cost control parameters that might, just might go some way to supporting the claims made here.

Nowhere in this release/bluster is there a critical analysis of ComReg's more robust positions and work outputs over the past 24 months. Nowhere in this are the many regulatory interventions that have aimed to assist Consumers, e.g., USO Reg 17 Compliance breaches, eBilling, etc.

The release is unbalanced and lacking back-up. Frankly it might also be deemed unfair in the context of the regulatory control that are exercised in the Irish Telecom market/s.

Then again, I guess you might have to be seen to be having a whine about something.

The problem is, the release is baseless.

I'd be very interested to hear your views on LRAIC plus modelling, HCA use in terms of USO and other regulatory remedies and indeed the retail/wholesale concepts of EEO, REO and SEO ....?

Dermot Jewell and the CAI as well as the NCA were out last week with some decent releases in the Irish Times that were backed-up balanced and indeed clear. Is his group on the ComReg Consumer Panel? .... I think the answer is yes.

Tom

PS: Before the below posters decide to defend that publication, by cutting and pasting in links to the ComReg website. I should state that all of the above comments are merely based on my view of the reading of the release and not defamatory or unfair at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Tom Young wrote: »
    Well well. It seems that a release has come to the fore here that actually does not properly define regulatory capture at all, and is designed to call on ComReg to appoint someone from IOFFL to the Consumer Panel.

In terms of the factual back up for the contentions that ComReg artificially keeps prices up, you might like to give some back-up in terms of that statement.

Whatever methodology that Comreg use is irrelevant as the outcome is exactly the same:
    The highest line rental in the EU ,the highest call setup costs and the dearest broadband in the EU.

If their methodology was consumer focused we wouldn't be in this situation
    as is the methodology only serves to keep prices artificially high.

Typical Comreg document : (a do nothing document)

http://www.comreg.ie/publications/comreg_update_-_upc_notification_of_proposed_changes_to_contract_terms_and_conditions.583.103818.p.html

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

bealtine wrote: »
    Whatever methodology that Comreg use is irrelevant as the outcome is exactly the same:
    The highest line rental in the EU ,the highest call setup costs and the dearest broadband in the EU.

If their methodology was consumer focused we wouldn't be in this situation
    as is the methodology only serves to keep prices artificially high.

Typical Comreg document : (a do nothing document)

http://www.comreg.ie/publications/comreg_update_-_upc_notification_of_proposed_changes_to_contract_terms_and_conditions.583.103818.p.html

Not to mension the mobile rates.. 20 cent per minutes (+vat):eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭BurnsCarpenter

bealtine wrote: »

How is that 'do nothing'? UPC were told that they were in breach of regulations and they backed down.
    Presumably they have accepted Comreg's interpretation of the regulations and will be compliant in future.

• Advertisement

How is that 'do nothing'? UPC were told that they were in breach of regulations and they backed down.
    Presumably they have accepted Comreg's interpretation of the regulations and will be compliant in future.

UPC knowingly (or unknowingly) breached the regulations they should be fined instead of Comreg capitulating.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Does it makes sense that we had 85 ISPs at one stage and Still have 4 actual Mobile Operators with 3 or 5 virtual Mobile when USA is going to 3 Mobiles?
    http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/20/atandt-agrees-to-buy-t-mobile-from-deutsche-telekom/

Why does Comreg want lots of operators?

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

Tom Young wrote: »

Perhaps citing the forms of regulation and recently consulted upon cost control parameters that might, just might go some way to supporting the claims made here.

Nowhere in this release/bluster is there a critical analysis of ComReg's more robust positions and work outputs over the past 24 months. Nowhere in this are the many regulatory interventions that have aimed to assist Consumers, e.g., USO Reg 17 Compliance breaches, eBilling, etc.

The release is unbalanced and lacking back-up. Frankly it might also be deemed unfair in the context of the regulatory control that are exercised in the Irish Telecom market/s.

Then again, I guess you might have to be seen to be having a whine about something.

The problem is, the release is baseless.

I'd be very interested to hear your views on LRAIC plus modelling, HCA use in terms of USO and other regulatory remedies and indeed the retail/wholesale concepts of EEO, REO and SEO ....?

Dermot Jewell and the CAI as well as the NCA were out last week with some decent releases in the Irish Times that were backed-up balanced and indeed clear. Is his group on the ComReg Consumer Panel? .... I think the answer is yes.

Tom

PS: Before the below posters decide to defend that publication, by cutting and pasting in links to the ComReg website. I should state that all of the above comments are merely based on my view of the reading of the release and not defamatory or unfair at all.

Reality check Tom, if Comreg and all the other Regulators/Quango's disappeared in the morning, nobody, other than the family members of the cosseted staff employed within, would mourn or miss their passing.

jbkenn

jbkenn wrote: »
    Reality check Tom, if Comreg and all the other Regulators/Quango's disappeared in the morning, nobody, other than the family members of the cosseted staff employed within, would mourn or miss their passing.

If Comreg was abolished real competition might break out.
    Instead we have the artificially high line rental charges which benefits nobody except Comreg of course and this is insanely high charge is how all ISPs set their rates.

Let eircom compete with UPC and let's see what happens. If competition is the aim of regulation then let there be real competition. eircom are racing towards their own destruction if they don't compete they only hasten the inevitable end.
    This is something our government should be planning for as the end is probably only 2 years away.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Um.. No matter what level Eircom set Line rental now, they can't make money.

• Advertisement

watty wrote: »
    Um.. No matter what level Eircom set Line rental now, they can't make money.

So basically the only option left for eircom is to default then.

Advertisement