Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing clothes for PE

Options
  • 17-02-2011 8:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭

Are you shy/embarrassed about changing into your pe kit in from of other girls/boys in your class ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

No I'm a pedophile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭GarRoIT

I don't really mind getting changed, but we're made have showers infront of everyone, so i just refuse to do pe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Carl Sagan

Didn't really mind chaning, but didn't wanna shower in front of people. I still don't like that at all. So like the poster above, I just refused to do PE for pretty much all of my school life and got every friday afternoon off. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

I was always embarrassed, but then sure everyone was. You just keep your head down and get out of there as fast as possible.
    We were never made take showers thank god.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Towel fight!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Bottleopener

Not particularly :P, we were never made to have showers though. We sort of just got changed quickly and were out of there asap so we could start playing football :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Showers after P.E.? Ha, that's what Lynx was for! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

I was a little bit but I got over it. Just change quickly and don't look at anyone and there's no problem.

We were never made take showers though: the thought of that still makes me feel a little weird. In the three times I've ever actually gotten off my ass and gone to the gym, I've always waited until I got home before showering.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Jamie Starr

I'd say it's fairly natural to be embarrassed when undressing in front of strangers whether they are boys or girls, if you're not used to it. I played in a couple of football teams in my younger days, so literally "getting your kit off" in front of other people isn't as big a deal. Wouldn't go past the boxers though, if that's the kind of changing you're talking about.

However, showering in front of other people is just plain weird. Definately wouldn't do that. They offered it to us in school- I don't think anyone ever did it. Not to mention how much in ticket sales I'd lose if everyone got to hear me sing for free.

• Advertisement

I hate the people who keep shorts on while showering after training and give out to people who have it naked... Look lads if ye don't want to be naked then have ye're shower when ye're home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Meh, I'm in an all girls school and have known most of them for 5 years, we pretty much have no shame anymore. Showers would be a step too far though...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

I'm in the Sports Centre in Trinity 3-4 times a week, always have a shower. It stopped being weird fairly quickly (like after the first week or so).

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

GarRoIT wrote: »
    I don't really mind getting changed, but we're made have showers infront of everyone, so i just refuse to do pe.

How exactly is one forced to shower? :confused:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I didn't mind the changing for PE, or the showers (which were optional afterwards).

Hated PE though. Around Christmas of 6th year I suddenly had mysterious illnesses, sprains, colds, etc. every Wednesday. I'm almost sure I had a cold that lasted over a month, but the symptoms only affected me on Wednesday mornings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Well when i was in TY there where 5 class a weak of PE i went to about 20 class over the hole year. There was showers in my school but i dont think in the 15 years they have been there that they have have ever been used.

But thinking of PE the guy who was tacking us in 3rd year told the class to sit on the ground like dogs because that what you where

Must have been his time of the month

Yes i think showering in front of people is just wrong to me

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Banjo Fella

I found it awkward, but not so awkward that it couldn't be overcome by means of some ninja mad-skills*. Hurling a Lynx canister at the ground, I'd disappear into the aerosol smoke-screen and use that brief moment of confusion to swap from my P.E. gear to my uniform. The ozone layer may have been compromised, but my modesty was intact.

*Said "ninja mad-skills" may actually have involved skipping PE using a forged sick-note and instead spending the duration sobbing in a locked toilet stall. ;_;

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

My serious answer:

Showering with other people after matches/training/gym is not that big a deal. The first few times can be a bit strange, but, as EuropeanSOn pointed out, it becomes normal very quickly.

I was 16 the first time I played Under 21s for my local GAA club, and 17 when I started playing with the Junior squad (so still of school-going age). I was playing with guys 3-13 years older than me, so it was a bit intimidating. The first few games I just kept my shorts on in the shower. Once I figured out that nobody gave a damn about my bits, I just went with it.

Now, there is one guy who likes to take the piss about the size of my belly! But, he usually only jokes about it when I wear a jersey that's too small, and never in the showers/changing rooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Screaminmidget

I was 16 the first time I played Under 21s for my local GAA club, and 17 when I started playing with the Junior squad (so still of school-going age). I was playing with guys 3-13 years older than me, so it was a bit intimidating. The first few games I just kept my shorts on in the shower. Once I figured out that nobody gave a damn about my bits, I just went with it.
    There were 9 minors on our junior team last year, absolutley none of us showered after matches/training untill we went home. :/

I remember in school that there was one guy out of 20 us that showered after training, and he had no problems with it. for the rest of us, it was a shower in a can, and then off to study. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

Being a swimmer I never minded. Anyone who does needs to harden up really.

edit: getting changed that is. Being uncomfortable showering with others is more understandable.

• Advertisement

How exactly is one forced to shower? :confused:

We werent forced to, but we were given detentions if we didn't.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

GarRoIT wrote: »
    We werent forced to, but we were given detentions if we didn't.

That is very strange, and surely can't be allowed :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

When I was in school I used to be very self conscious of the way I looked so I used to change in the toilet :D It was our last class of the day so we never had to change back.

I've a feeling the principal of that school must have had a few issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Not at all.
    It does be a bit of a laugh most days, slagging eachother off and talking shíte in general.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

Oh lawd 6th year changing room in my school is a disaster sure! There's 2 classes together right and the girls have a bigger room (Cos yano everyone knows girls have pillow fights and compare underwear in the room) and ours is fairly small and there's about 35 boys in the room and carnage goes down! :pac:

Like one time when we were getting changed after PE so much Lynx was sprayed in the room that the fire alarms went off.. hahaha it was unreal! But yeah usually the changing room consists of "Hey did you hear X got with Y last night? Ha stateeee 2k8" etc.. Exciting stuff..

Oh yeah I skip PE lots so I can do my homewoork..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭shefellover93

We kicked an empty creatine box around the changing room before pe the last day :D Meh I don't really mind it, been playing sports for years, just don't have showers and tis grand!

We weren't made do pe, but if we did we had to shower, we were allowed study instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭illiop

I've never been uncomfortable in underwear. It's just like being in a bikini isn't it? I'm also comfortable enough topless infront of other girls. We weren't allowed to shower after PE in our school!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

You'd have to be a bit of 'tard to comment on someone's jiblets in a guy's changing rooms, think of all the good retorts available: "ahh, it's so big it caught your attention, I see".

Advertisement