Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cloonacauneen Castle - good for private function??

Options
  • 17-02-2011 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭

Hi all, has anyone stayed at this castle?
    What would it be like for a private party?
    Are there B&Bs and pubs close-by for those that can't stay at the castle itself?? The place sounds amazing but I don't want to book it if it won't suit the majority of guests.. Any help would be appreciated. Or even any other suggestions would be too. It's a party for about 40 people! Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Hi.

My sister got married there last summer. There are only 4 bedrooms! However, there are about 4 or 5 B&Bs in the vicinity.

But the city is only a 15 minute drive so if you have people travelling from outside of Galway they can get accommodation in town.

About the venue itself, the staff are probably the most helpful, friendly staff you'll ever get. They saw to our every need and nothing was a problem. Very friendly, and not that false friendliness you get in places just cause they know they're getting money out of you. Nice grounds and setting too.

If you don't want your friends/family to have to get taxis into town afterwards, the hotel own the B&B right aross from it. There are 10 bedrooms there.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Pure Sound

It only has about 7 rooms for guests to stay so it would mean that a lot of people would have to stay in hotels Claregalway or closer to the city. This would mean that ye would probably have to be transported by cabs. As a venue its very nice and would be suitable for 40 people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭whatlliwear

kraggy wrote: »
    Hi.

My sister got married there last summer. There are only 4 bedrooms! However, there are about 4 or 5 B&Bs in the vicinity.

But the city is only a 15 minute drive so if you have people travelling from outside of Galway they can get accommodation in town.

About the venue itself, the staff are probably the most helpful, friendly staff you'll ever get. They saw to our every need and nothing was a problem. Very friendly, and not that false friendliness you get in places just cause they know they're getting money out of you. Nice grounds and setting too.

If you don't want your friends/family to have to get taxis into town afterwards, the hotel own the B&B right aross from it. There are 10 bedrooms there.

Sounds lovely!! Thanks! I think the lady said there's beds for 23 people between the Castle & the Guest House.. Any idea how far away the nearest b&b or pubs are by foot?

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭ValerieR

Went to a Birthday party there about 3 years ago. There were about 40 people at it too. This party didn't have exclusive use of the bar and the room beside it but it worked out well as there were very few outsiders around.
    From what I remember, food was nice too.
    I think they have a function room too but it'd be way too big for a small party.
    V

The nice lady said we could have the dining room to ourselves & the dungeon?! Sounds cool anyway..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭LoopyL

I've been a few parties there. Its great crack! we all got taxis to and from it and when you have a taxi between 4 people your only really looking about €6 each back into town which isn't too bad.

LoopyL wrote: »
    I've been a few parties there. Its great crack! we all got taxis to and from it and when you have a taxi between 4 people your only really looking about €6 each back into town which isn't too bad.

That's true! Would the guest from abroad be as well to stay in Galway City then or ClareGalway? Is Claregalway itself (ie pubs, B & Bs) within walking distance?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭elefant

Claregalway's not within walking distance, but it's closer than town. A taxi to the Claregalway hotel or the Arches would be cheap between 3 or 4 people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Nearest Pub is McHughs on Tuam road - 1.4 Km away. No other pubs nearby.

Claregalway is 4.5 Km away.

Eyre Square is 7.5 Km.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement