Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jtag hard drive trouble

Options
  • 17-02-2011 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭

Hi im just trowing this up here could be something simple im over looking as it was late last night when i was doing this job.

My jtag 360 has a 3.5" drive wired in to in to think it is a stock drive but i all ways was useing an extronal power supply to power it. Last night i decided to wire up power from inside the xbox to power the harddrive.

Only problum is when i wire it up i get 3 red rings and the power brick light then go's red as far as i could see last night i had it wired up right it is only 4 cables any one else have any trouble like this. I wont get to look at it again on till later tonight so just asking in the mean time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Your 12v feed is coming from the wrong place and is causing issues with the SMC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thenightrider

Your 12v feed is coming from the wrong place and is causing issues with the SMC

Cool ill try a different 12v feed i should have known you would answer my question as you are my boards.ie now your loveing top match lol

LMAO! EnterNow is mine :o

Try taking your 12V feed direct from the power supply connectors, plenty of guides - I think you'll find EnterNow did the same thing himself and there's a guide somewhere on here for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Mine is linked from within WMN's sticky thread, here. The underside of the power block is where to take the required feeds :)

TV still at the top of mine too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

I had mine 12v rail connected straight from power supply and 5v from dvd connector - no probs at all

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

TV is also my match! How does that work?

justryan wrote: »
    TV is also my match! How does that work?

WTF you guys talking about???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

docentore check this out

ok, I'm going to bed now, lie down beside my wife, this is only bad dream, I am geek, I like games, I like consoles, I like women, Easy, take some Xanax

but

WTF!!!

EDIT: lol about his, everybody loves TV. but I don't care, I'm excited that my jasper which had CPU transplanted yesterday lives and is kicking (in terms of exploit-ability of course). Good night folks! :D

docentore wrote: »
    I had mine 12v rail connected straight from power supply and 5v from dvd connector - no probs at all

Have you also done the internal drive mod Doc?

• Advertisement

EDIT: lol about his, everybody loves TV. but I don't care, I'm excited that my jasper which had CPU transplanted yesterday lives and is kicking (in terms of exploit-ability of course). Good night folks! :D

Don't worry dude, if EnterNow rejects me you're second on my list :p

Also - awesome news on the Jasper. Did you do the transplant/reball yourself? Care to tell us how much it cost?

Don't worry dude, if EnterNow rejects me you're second on my list :p

Also - awesome news on the Jasper. Did you do the transplant/reball yourself? Care to tell us how much it cost?

Woah, we're allowed have backup match's?? :D

EnterNow wrote: »
    Woah, we're allowed have backup match's?? :D

Enter you are number 2 on my list :D

Console Modding - complete orgyfest :P

I'm with Doc on this one, keep me outta this filthy innuendo :D

Ok im still haveing trouble not sure what im doing wrong decided to wire up were the psu goes in

PWRConnector.jpg

Now my sata power cable has 4 cables on it all black :rolleyes: so this is how i have it wired

sata.png

You'll have to determine which SATA power pins go where by tracing back from the connector, if they're all black :)

Off the shelf SATA power cables should have 5 wires and not 4 - 3.3v, gnd, 5v, gnd, 12v :)

A quick way to get it done would be to buy a Molex (4 pin power) to SATA adapter, then lop off the molex end and hook up the 12v and GND wires to the 4 loose molex wires :)

If you want to use what you've done then get a multimeter and test ... The 3 pins furthest from the L bit (15,14,13) should all be 12V, the next 3 should be GND, the next 3 should be 5V and the next 3 should be GND. The last 3 should be unconnected because there is no 3.3v source going into your connector. It'd be best to ensure the black wires correspond with the right pins or you'll risk your drive. Though given the layout you've drawn, I can't see how they're out of order. Again, be sure :)

I got the sata power conector of a molex to sata this is the way it was wired

sata2.png

It was done by my mate, he has more experience. I forgot to bring my camera, next time I'm going to document every step. When he was doing it it didn't look complicated, but thats probably he reballed thousands of chips and have proper setup: quartz preheater with full temperature control, irda station etc.

I'm going to practise on some Xenon boards first (still need to get those from cisk), but I'm not going near jaspers any time soon.

It cost me 2 hours of softmodding Xbox (which i got for free) and upgrading hard drive. Then it was just fun of watching him working, looking at solder balls melting on 32" screen using usb microscope - magic :D

Have you also done the internal drive mod Doc?

I had that in my falcon, which I had to sell, but I kept the looms and hdd. I didn't have time to do jasper yet, but it will have 3.5 hdd inside.

• Advertisement

Well then it sure looks like you're good to go. Yellow is 12V, red is 5V and black is ground on the molex.

If you want to be perfectly certain, once again I recommend powering on the console and doing a voltage check with your multimeter but to be honest it looks fine.

I had that in my falcon, which I had to sell, but I kept the looms and hdd. I didn't have time to do jasper yet, but it will have 3.5 hdd inside.

It's such a sweet mod, jtags with dvd drives are going to waste! Yeah you heard TV :D

It's such a sweet mod, jtags with dvd drives are going to waste! Yeah you heard TV :D

*shakes fist*

Pipe down you :P My console doesn't have a gaping hole in the front and if I was to bring it to a friends house I could play his games without needed a laptop and network cable :cool:

:pac::pac::pac:

*shakes fist*

Pipe down you :P My console doesn't have a gaping hole in the front and if I was to bring it to a friends house I could play his games without needed a laptop and network cable :cool:

:pac::pac::pac:

Bah, actually it was YOUR idea for me to route my dvd sata cable outside of a little hole in the case, which is covered up by an empty enclosure :p So keep going... :D

I did an update on my jtag the other day to the kinect dash and it will only load in to xell if i dont have a dvd drive in it and to make things worse i dont have the drive of the jtag box i have to use a diffent drive ill have to spoof it so i can use it.

I did an update on my jtag the other day to the kinect dash and it will only load in to xell if i dont have a dvd drive in it and to make things worse i dont have the drive of the jtag box i have to use a diffent drive ill have to spoof it so i can use it.

Prob because the 360 thinks you've powered on with the eject button (as the drive is open). Mine is on 12611 with no dvd drive, powers on fine. I have the closed tray pins jumped with a piece of wire on the power connector though...

you need to build another nand image with nodvd patch.

you need to build another nand image with nodvd patch.

Bah, jump the wires. At least that leaves yo with the option of still using a drive, or does the no dvd patch still let you use one??

Advertisement