Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing cisco modem/router with an old UPC modem.

• 17-02-2011 9:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭

H guys.
    I recently got my hands on a scientific atlanta modem which my friend wasn't using, to replace the terrible cisco router/modem that UPC provide.
    I need to use this scientific atlanta modem so I can use my phone line whilst connecting it to my linksys router for the Internet.
    The problem I have is that, when I connect my phone, no light comes on the phone line and I can't get a dial tone. The Internet works fine with it.
    The phone is working fine when I use the cisco unit.
    Do I need to activate this scientific Atlanta modem with UPC themselves to get my phone service up and running??.
    Has anyone replaced the cisco modem/router with an old UPC modem???.
    Any help would be much appreciated guys. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,196 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Ring UPC to get them to provision the Scientific Atlanta MAC address on the network.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭BanjoB

Jonathan wrote: »
    Ring UPC to get them to provision the Scientific Atlanta MAC address on the network.

Thanks man. I'll be very happy to have my old linksys doing all of my routing while still having my phone. Getting my hands on this modem only,was a god send.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

There is a sticky thread for all upc modem questions.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement