Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free broadband??????

• 17-02-2011 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

Hi all

Need some GOOD advice. About 6 yrs ago my wife cancelled our perlico phone/broadband subscription which we had for abour a year.....our reason broadband, no complaints but phone a disaster and their customer service was terrible. I did want to keep the broadband but perlico at that time said this could not be done. Anyway after settling my account I contacted eircom and they set me up a new package.

However after 3 to 4 weeks of no broadband I rang them. They told me that the phone was connected but that there was still a broadband provider connected. When I checked this they were right with the result that I have been getting free broadband from perlico for 6 years.

Then when eircoms signal acted up across south leinster 3 weeks ago I finally stopped getting my free bb.

Have now ordered vodafone package but they have said I am still receiving signal - true but not connecting.

I'm afraid now that if I ring perlico to get them to sort this they could hit me with a €3000-€4000 bill.

Any advice or similar situations
    Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Bit confused, you canceled your perlico account 6 years and have gone without any broadband/phone since then? A few weeks ago you rang eircom to get broadband?

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭studio54

Sorry, just checking bills.....got perlico bb in march 05, cancelled in june 06, paid up bill but have been receiving their signal since then for free. Never sent me another bill, letter, or notice, as far as I was concerned my subscription was terminated but think they may have "forgotten" to turn my signal off. So naturally I have been using this "free" connection for past few years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Your in dire ****e so

Maybe you`ll be lucky and they dont have any log on you connecting over those years, but I seriously doubt it

If you knew someone working in eircom maybe they could sort it at the exchange, thats the only thing i can think of

Edit: Does anyone know the legal stance on this? If his contract was closed does the burdon lie with perlico?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

not 100% sure of the legal side, but honestly if you knew the broadband was meant to be disconnected, but didnt tell them and you still used it, then to be honest your probably in the wrong.

however, point me to a single person in this country that would not do it...

seriously.

so, your best bet? find someone who works for eircom, and see if you can make an arangement.

otherwise, bite the bullet and ring perlico. who knows. the might not have any record of your usage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

You knew you were receiving a service you didn't pay for, and you kept using it. They would probably be within their rights to bill you for it. Vodafone own Perlico too, so if you're trying to avoid Perlico finding out, then ordering from Vodafone probably isn't the smartest move.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Ronan

Can you get a cable broadband provider in your area, like UPC or Magnet? They wouldn't be usuing your phone line, so no problem then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭ironingbored

If you used gas or electricity knowingly for that length of time, you would not be in the slightest bit surprised if they came looking for their money.

You should sus out a cable/fixed wireless operator and never speak of this again. :D

An idea might be to cancel the line altogether. Your number will go back into the pool after a couple of months and 6 months down the line you can reactivate with Eircom and probably have a different number.

Advertisement