Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway East election candidate on TV tonight

Options
  • 17-02-2011 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭

Galway East election candidate Colm Keaveney of Labour will be appearing on the Vincent Browne Show on TV3 at 11pm tonight.
    Heres wishing Colm the best of luck.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Tuam85

bagels wrote: »
    Galway East election candidate Colm Keaveney of Labour will be appearing on the Vincent Browne Show on TV3 at 11pm tonight.
    Heres wishing Colm the best of luck.

He didn't cone across too good... Bit of a personal attack at Sean canney and seemed over confident! Vincent Browne knocked him back a few times! He lost my vote!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Tuam85 wrote: »
    He didn't cone across too good... Bit of a personal attack at Sean canney and seemed over confident! Vincent Browne knocked him back a few times! He lost my vote!!!
    Would you have preferred if he praised Canney who seems to be his direct competition for the seat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Tuam85

No I expected a more reserved opinion rather then a straight out personal insult!!! Keaveney plays the prim and proper politics but he is just as bad as the ones in power

Completely my opinion

Tuam85 wrote: »
    No I expected a more reserved opinion rather then a straight out personal insult!!! Keaveney plays the prim and proper politics but he is just as bad as the ones in power

Completely my opinion
    Well its my opinion that your opinion about it being a personal insult is quite weird but you are quite entitled to your opinion as am i:D.
    As for what i highlighted in Bold, how so? Seems like a sweeping accusation with no basis or source behind it. Care to back it up?

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭ciaranmac

amiable wrote: »
    Would you have preferred if he praised Canney who seems to be his direct competition for the seat?

Speaking for myself I thought it was amateurish. I'm wavering between Keaveney, Higgins and Canney for the number 1 vote and he didn't do himself any favours. Nothing wrong with explaining why people should vote for him instead of someone else, it was simply the way he made his point that came across as unsubtle, negative and gratuitous. Instead of saying (I'm paraphrasing) that people didn't want a TD who would sit on the independent benches for 5 years with no power, he should have explained why a vote for a Labour TD would be in our interests. A more skilled politician would be able to damn his rivals with faint praise, instead of having a go at them and appearing to be on the defensive.

• Advertisement

ciaranmac wrote: »
    Speaking for myself I thought it was amateurish. I'm wavering between Keaveney, Higgins and Canney for the number 1 vote and he didn't do himself any favours. Nothing wrong with explaining why people should vote for him instead of someone else, it was simply the way he made his point that came across as unsubtle, negative and gratuitous. Instead of saying (I'm paraphrasing) that people didn't want a TD who would sit on the independent benches for 5 years with no power, he should have explained why a vote for a Labour TD would be in our interests. A more skilled politician would be able to damn his rivals with faint praise, instead of having a go at them and appearing to be on the defensive.
    Very true and i tend to agree with you.

I do feel there isn't a strong candidate to represent the area.

IMO Keaveney was probably a bit naive in his approach to Canney but i also thought he had a point about Canney.
    I get the impression people either take to Keaveney or they really don't like him.

I'm open to correction here but i think Keaveney and Canney represent opposite ends of the spectrum demographically?
    So its to be expected that there's a bit of niggle between them.

I'd also imagine that those people fed up with Fianna Fail are more likely to vote for Canney rather than Keaveney. Again i'm open to correction on this too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 389 ✭✭Jamey

amiable wrote: »
    Very true and i tend to agree with you.

I do feel there isn't a strong candidate to represent the area.

IMO Keaveney was probably a bit naive in his approach to Canney but i also thought he had a point about Canney.
    I get the impression people either take to Keaveney or they really don't like him.

I'm open to correction here but i think Keaveney and Canney represent opposite ends of the spectrum demographically?
    So its to be expected that there's a bit of niggle between them.

I'd also imagine that those people fed up with Fianna Fail are more likely to vote for Canney rather than Keaveney. Again i'm open to correction on this too.

Spot on, and there hasn't been for a very very long time hence Tuam not having a TD in 50 years or whatever. It's disappointing to see Tuam having such weak candidates over the years, and it's no different this time around.

I would have thought people who are fed up of FF would be more likely to vote for Keaveney, as Canney is said to have a past history with FF isn't he?

Jamey wrote: »
    I would have thought people who are fed up of FF would be more likely to vote for Keaveney, as Canney is said to have a past history with FF isn't he?
    I believe he does have a FF past
    My thinking is that FF people might find the Labour party too far left?
    And by voting for Canney they can still vote for alot of FF policies.
    Again i'm no expert on this and i'm open to correction

Advertisement