Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XBox Live - eircom router - Media Connection : Help!!

• 17-02-2011 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭

So I've spend the last 2 hours trying to get my new (replacement) XBox360 to work on my home network. I'm successfully connecting to Xbox Live after changing the PPPoE username to eircom but the problem now is that it isn't recognising the PC on my network.

A: If I leave the PPPoE settings blank then the automatic IP address is correct (192.168.1.xx) and the Xbox can see my PC and connect correctly. HOWEVER this means I can't connect to XBox Live.

B: If I fill in the PPPoE settings with the eircom user name and password then the automatic IP address that generates is different to the above and the XBox does not recognise the PC. However connection to the internet and XBox Live works perfectly. I tried changing the IP address etc manually to what it should be and while it still connects to the internet and XBox Live it still doesn't recognise the PC.

The problem exists on both wired and wireless connection.

Essentially if I leave PPPoE blank I can access my PC but not XBox Live and if I fill in the PPPoE I can access XBox Live but not my PC. I WANT BOTH:confused::confused::confused:

Can anyone help???????????

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

yrrag1974 wrote: »
    So I've spend the last 2 hours trying to get my new (replacement) XBox360 to work on my home network. I'm successfully connecting to Xbox Live after changing the PPPoE username to eircom but the problem now is that it isn't recognising the PC on my network.

A: If I leave the PPPoE settings blank then the automatic IP address is correct (192.168.1.xx) and the Xbox can see my PC and connect correctly. HOWEVER this means I can't connect to XBox Live.

B: If I fill in the PPPoE settings with the eircom user name and password then the automatic IP address that generates is different to the above and the XBox does not recognise the PC. However connection to the internet and XBox Live works perfectly. I tried changing the IP address etc manually to what it should be and while it still connects to the internet and XBox Live it still doesn't recognise the PC.

The problem exists on both wired and wireless connection.

Essentially if I leave PPPoE blank I can access my PC but not XBox Live and if I fill in the PPPoE I can access XBox Live but not my PC. I WANT BOTH:confused::confused::confused:

Can anyone help???????????

It's hard to tell what you're doing here, but it seems you're using the dsl router in bridge mode and bridging PPPoE to *either* the xbox or the PC. In this case it would work as described - you can only have it to one or the other at any time.

However this is a weird setup, the PPPoE should be terminated at the DSL router, and both the PC and the Xbox should be on internal 192.168.x.x addresses (from DHCP) and use NAT through the router to access the internet.

Can you confirm that you're using one of eircom's DSL packages and which DSL router you're using?

Advertisement