Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mushroom Growing Kit

• 17-02-2011 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭

Hi, I bought a mushroom growing kit in Aldi today & just wanted to know if anyone had any advice on growing mushrooms?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 702 ✭✭✭wreckless

picked some up too. couldnt go wrong for that price. and another veg to try the hand at. instructions seem pretty straight forward, but if anyone has tried it before, please give us some advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Thanos

They sound like a great idea, mind me asking how much they were?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭ericl

Thanos wrote: »
    They sound like a great idea, mind me asking how much they were?

http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/special_buys3_15967.htm

€4.49 each in Aldi.

I bought two yesterday in Santry they had loads if anybodys interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Goodne

wreckless wrote: »
    picked some up too. couldnt go wrong for that price. and another veg to try the hand at. instructions seem pretty straight forward, but if anyone has tried it before, please give us some advice.
    yeah, the instructions are fairly straight forward but I was wondering about putting them somewhere for the first 3 days at 22c; would the hotpress suit?

i put mine in there and its a bit white, reckon ill put the compost on tomorrow and see what happens. supervalu have some also, 4 varieties.

• Advertisement

is anyone growing these? mine have started to form a white velvety cover on top of the soil!!

a few mushrooms starting to appear on mine - so exciting will report back if I get a crop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Ilyushin76

Did anybody get any mushrooms ? and are you supposed to water them?

I got about 10 & then I watered it & got no more after. Think maybe it wasn't warm enough (was on worktop in kitchen) & that they didn't need watering

supervalu were crap, should have brought it back for a refund

Aldi, garden line, very nice indeed.

mushrooms.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Hauk

Lovely stuff wreckless!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Zuiderzee

Must take a spin up to Clifden to pick up one of those Mushroom kits, I feel a building plan coming on - hmmm, black plastic bags and birch branch offcuts - a dangerous combination

• Registered Users Posts: 17 dermot1979

Goodne wrote: »
    Hi, I bought a mushroom growing kit in Aldi today & just wanted to know if anyone had any advice on growing mushrooms?

dont do it if you value your life, i unleashed a killer.

i took the following to make sure i had a healthy crop

1) humid warm temp : i put it in the kitchen, faraway from any direct light, similiar to a a mushroom tunnel you see on farms, dry, warm heat
    2) followed the instructions to the letter, the initial closed period, set my reminder for the lifting period. (used my phone reminder to be sure)
    3) i even left it an extra few days to let it harvest....

what i got back was this IMAG0768.jpg

like something from The black lagoon!!! (im sure spat at me when i disturbed it!!47927744.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

wreckless wrote: »
    supervalu were crap, should have brought it back for a refund

Aldi, garden line, very nice indeed.

Any tips there please? They are doing the rounds again. Just bought a box from Aldi today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Marjam

I got one lonely mushroom out of the Aldi Gardenline Kit :(

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Stressica

thats so random there's a thread on this as i just got a kit the other day like you guys, i got mine from a garden centre, it was €8, only 3 days in so fingers crossed! My neighbour said they tried it last year and got one lonley fella out of all their efforts and they fried it and divided it between the 5 of them xD

Advertisement