Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GF bullied in Work, needs new job

Options
  • 17-02-2011 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

My girlfriend is an eastern european and is getting completely bullied by rich Irish girls where she works. She has to deal with constant insults about her clothes and really immature, childish things. They also make her to do all the work while they just stand around and chat. She wants to drop in CVs to change work but shes terrified that a manager will ring her current employment and then her current employer will know she intends to leave and fire her for some other reason (they fired another eastern european for refusing to stay back an hour after her shift had finished because she was meeting her parents for dinner) Can anyone clarify that if you put down your current employer will the people receiving the CV always ring them? Shes a mess right now so really need to get this sorted ASAP. By the way she doesn't want to make complaints to the Employment Tribunal or anything, I've tried to persaude her to no avail so if she gets fired she wont appeal so just really need info regarding CV.
    Thanks

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 16,186 ✭✭✭✭Maple

Moved from PI, feel it better suited here OP. Anonymous posting is also allowed here.

Maple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Put references on request on the CV, She will get to control who/when they are contacted.. Employers will understand that not everyone is comfortable with their boss being contacted without them knowing..

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Put "references available on request" on the CV.

That means she's in control.

She's going to have to say that she's working in XXX company though, so there's always the chance of someone ringing up a friend for an informal chat, even without a referees name on the CV.

Has she made her manager aware of the other employee's behaviour?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭whydoibother?

I don't know for sure but I wasn't aware that they could ring any person/organisation mentioned on your CV. I thought you had to consent to referees being contacted.

Also, I think it's generally considered bad form to check somebody's references unless you're pretty serious about offering them a job. Otherwise if you apply for 20 jobs, your referees could theoretically end up getting 20 requests. It's not usually done at the preliminary stages of job hunting. From my (limited) experience they offer you a job, subject to satisfactory references.

Advertisement